GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2013 GLK 350 Dash Illumination question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2013 C250 sport
2013 GLK 350 Dash Illumination question

So I'm one of the small percentage of people that are very sensitive to LED based flicker. During the day, I don't have much trouble with the small display in the gauges, but at night....crap. It looks "stuttery" when I look around, and so does the compass on the rear view mirror (that one is worse).

So far, it seems the brighter the displays are, the less flicker I see, because the LED's are "on" more than they are "off" (regarding the sequential nature of LED's, and how their brightness is controlled).

I have manually set the gauge brightness to "5", and during the day it is at full brightness from what I can tell, reducing flicker greatly. BUT...when the headlights are turned on (or when it's dark outside and the headlights are set to 'auto'), I can tell that the gauge display dims no matter what, even if it's set to a 5 brightness level.

This is an obvious behavior, because the gauge display would probably be too bright during night time driving if it stayed at full brightness. It's this very behavior that's causing the flicker issue though...(any time that display gets dimmer, the flicker thing increases.)

If I could some how set the display to NEVER dim, that would be great. I would probably end up slightly tinting the protective piece in front of the instrument gauges to not blind me at night.

Is it possible that a function to not dim the gauges even when the headlights are on would exist, maybe in the ENG mode or something? Also, turning off the rear view compass and having it on the center display instead? BTW, I don't have navigation, but I know the car still has a compass at least!