GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Lower seat bolster/leading edge of seat question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2013 C250 sport
Lower seat bolster/leading edge of seat question

So I bought a 2013 GLK 350. I love everything about it, except the seat. The part of the seat that runs along your thighs seems too high. I have the angle of the seat as low as it will go (not the seat height setting, but the setting that tilts the 'thigh level' as low as possible). When I try to set the height enough to get pressure off of the legs (right under the knees), I feel like I'm tilted forward to much.

I had a 2005 LL bean forrester, and NEVER had a problem with this. I think the seats in the subaru were just mounted lower overall. I didn't notice it when I first test drove it, nor the first few weeks of owning it. I started to develop a pain in my left leg, on the opposite side of the knee and realized it was the seat corner cutting in to my leg.

The seats are pretty firm, as well as "compact".

I'm assuming there's no option for softer seat stuffing, or a different seat in general? I find myself constantly fidgeting in the seat, especially my left leg, trying to get a comfortable seating position.

I had a c350 for a loaner when my windows were being tinted, and didn't notice the problem, because the seat height is mounted lower in general...hence no pressure on the back side of the legs.

I guess I'm really particular when it comes to seating and comfort, but this crept up recently and it's driving me mad, enough to not want the car anymore

Am I missing something? Are there alternative seating options that I am missing? Does the real leather package have softer seat "stuffing"? (Sorry I keep calling it that, but I don't know what else to refer to it as ).
Old 11-23-2012, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 143 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
The glk seats are like that and i find it more comfortable than my c300 which is low as you noticed. It all depends on how long your legs are and if you are short person you might feel the seat of the glk to be too high. Also try another glk and see if the seat adjustment is different then you can ssk the dealer to readjust it for you. Remember you have 1 full year of adjustment period on the car and any thing that bugs you that needs adjustments (wheel alignment, seats....etc...) that doesnt neef replacement on the parts should cover it.

Good thing you have the mbtex as that fancy vinyl will last longer than the real thing. It will get softer the more you use it just make sure to apply non-gloss vinyl conditioner and it will be soft.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 11-23-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:24 PM

2013 C250 sport
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
The glk seats are like that and i find it more comfortable than my c300 which is low as you noticed. It all depends on how long your legs are and if you are short person you might feel the seat of the glk to be too high. Also try another glk and see if the seat adjustment is different then you can ssk the dealer to readjust it for you. Remember you have 1 full year of adjustment period on the car and any thing that bugs you that needs adjustments (wheel alignment, seats....etc...) that doesnt neef replacement on the parts should cover it.

Good thing you have the mbtex as that fancy vinyl will last longer than the real thing. It will get softer the more you use it just make sure to apply non-gloss vinyl conditioner and it will be soft.
Thanks shotgun! Is that 1 year adjustment an "unwritten rule", or is that official somehow? Either way, I bought it at park place in dallas, and they pretty much kiss your butt so I'll give them a shot with hopefully an adjustment to the seat.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Maybe a padded seat cover will help...
Old 11-25-2012, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 143 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
I know mbusa and mbcanada has that 1 year adjustment period. I know it is written on the warranty manual of the glk just check it out. But here in canada we have that 1 year adjustment period + 2 years wear and tear parts replacement for new cars.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic; 2010 E550, 2007 SL550
Originally Posted by djejglk
I had a c350 for a loaner when my windows were being tinted, and didn't notice the problem, because the seat height is mounted lower in general...hence no pressure on the back side of the legs.

I guess I'm really particular when it comes to seating and comfort, but this crept up recently and it's driving me mad, enough to not want the car anymore
Ironically, I traded my C300 for a GLK350 because my wife had the exact opposite issue. The C300 seat front edge didn't adjust high ENOUGH for her to be comfortable, and she couldn't stand riding in it.
The GLK is exactly right for her.

Both cars are MBtex, so I can't give any feedback if the leather package is different.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 AM

2013 C250 sport
Originally Posted by PilotAlan
Ironically, I traded my C300 for a GLK350 because my wife had the exact opposite issue. The C300 seat front edge didn't adjust high ENOUGH for her to be comfortable, and she couldn't stand riding in it.
The GLK is exactly right for her.

Both cars are MBtex, so I can't give any feedback if the leather package is different.
Interesting how everyone is so different!