GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK350 Reliability for Very High Mileage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by JerryKP
I have a 2010 GLK 350. White Chrome Wheels and still love the car. Great looking ride!

Just took it in for the 60,000 service today. New plugs, oil etc...$700.00. They just called and said the engine mounts are going bad $2000.00, The Differential is starting to leak $4000.00 and the transfer case is leaking $1400.00.

So much for lasting 100,000 mile....not a happy camper!
I would definitely get a second opinion on that list of repairs , seems like they are trying to make some money off of you.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I have a 2010 GLK 350. White Chrome Wheels and still love the car. Great looking ride!

Just took it in for the 60,000 service today. New plugs, oil etc...$700.00. They just called and said the engine mounts are going bad $2000.00, The Differential is starting to leak $4000.00 and the transfer case is leaking $1400.00.

LOL
Oil and Plugs is an 1.5 hour easy DIY plus $100 in parts. See my thread on plugs.
My Dif does have some oil sipping, but until it drips no need to touch it, the same applies to TC. I was quoted 800 to reseal the TC by dealer and indy here on MBWorld offered to do it for 400. Per the Mercedes workshop, the oil sipping is ok. So if your stuff was never wiped it accumulated over time. I do my own annual service and just wipe oil/dust off.
No opinion on motor mounts, but sounds expensive.

Last edited by NYCGLK; 03-15-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
All you need to know:
http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...ngine_support/
Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
I don't understand how anyone knows the transfer case is leaking. It's been drilled into our heads that the 7G 4 Matic transfer case is inside the transmission. To the point of having to replace entire transmission for transfer case failures.

So how can one tell that a transfer case is leaking (vs. some other sort of transmission leak)?
Old 03-10-2016, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Mercedes GLK350 4Matic in White
If it helps, I bought my 2011 used GLK350 in March of 2015. I have driven it hard in all weather conditions. I live the Laurentians in QC so I know cold (-35 C frequently in the mountains), loads of snow and 2-3" of solid ice on the roads for 3-4 months. This little trucklet is built like a solid piece of metal with almost no squeeks or rattles. Yup the electric widows freeze up during the winter like any car in a cold climate, and the felt/foam lip inside the door frames gets wet and can temporarily freeze a door shut (use another door to access and push from inside) but my 6 cyl engine stated even after days of non-use in -25 average temps with high cold blasts of wind. Most of my other previous cars would have failed already. One aspect I truly love is the software based protection features that bring the back end inline on icy roads by automatic single wheel braking or throttle management. Many a time I start to feel the back end or front end start to slip and the car seems to just "calm and meditate" and the cars continues beautifully on track. My Kia Sportage claimed to have anti-skid and traction control system but it kicked in too late many a time allowing my back end to wing out on icy roads even at 40km/hr. The MB tech is so well proven you may love it for that alone. Today my local roads are 3" thick wet ice with melted through troughs that wheels slip into fast and furious. As I travelled downhill the safety systems kick in so softly you barely know they are working... without a doubt a great choice for me and many others too.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by spyked
I don't understand how anyone knows the transfer case is leaking. It's been drilled into our heads that the 7G 4 Matic transfer case is inside the transmission. To the point of having to replace entire transmission for transfer case failures.

So how can one tell that a transfer case is leaking (vs. some other sort of transmission leak)?
The TC is attached to the tranny and shares the same tranny fluid. Where it attaches is where oil sips a bit.

Last edited by NYCGLK; 03-11-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
The TC is attached to the tranny and shares the same tranny fluid. Where it attaches is where oil sips a bit.
Good to know, thanks. On the W204 models, the xfer case is IN the trans case. Doesn't attach to the outside. I'll keep an eye out for seepage.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by spyked
Good to know, thanks. On the W204 models, the xfer case is IN the trans case. Doesn't attach to the outside. I'll keep an eye out for seepage.
Pretty sure it's the same tranny. It's not one big case, it has several parts that form tranny with the TC inside.
Here is the pic:
Old 03-14-2016, 08:28 AM

'12 E350 4Matic, '11 GLK350 4Matic
This is amazing for just 60k miles. I guess I am glad I bought the extended warranty.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by andre2p
This is amazing for just 60k miles. I guess I am glad I bought the extended warranty.
Most of it is dealer looking to do unnecessary and expensive work.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2011 GLK
exceptional reliability

I purchased a 2011 GLK350 and have continued ownership and use as my primary vehicle. I picked it up in Germany on overseas delivery. At the time i also got two free hotel rooms (5 stars); free factory tour and meal; free trip routing for use iin Europe, free insurance, BOGO air fare on Lufthansa, a 7% discount and no destination charge to ship it to the US dealer. It has been "bulletproof." I have regularly changed the oil (myself, at an average cost of approximately $45 per change, (using factory speced oil and filter); changed all filters; had the trans change at recommended mileage and replaced the battery, alternator, brakes and tires. Eleven years after purchase it still looks and runs like new with the esxception of a small rip on the well used driver seat cover (which can be replaced). I have owned approximatey 30 cars during my 73 years of life and none has been remotely comparable in quality and reliability to this car. No rattles. No noise, everything operates flawlessly. No mechanical repairs. Nothing but turn the key and drive. I would mention that there are certain bulbs in the front asembly which are challenging to change. And gas mileage could be better, but it is a heavy and very safe vehicle. And it drives like a sports car SUV. Great handling and more than adequate acceleration. A dealer recently offered $13500 as a trade in for this 11 year old vehicle. I only paid $33,000 new (with optional sunroof and HK killer stereo options). It is one time in my life when I can truly state I got more than I paid for.
The following 4 users liked this post by melawman:
300SLRAddict (11-14-2023), fricker66 (12-07-2023), RussBarnes (04-24-2022), Silver Shadow (01-10-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I still have mine as well..bought in April 2009 so it's almost 13 years and has 113k miles.
Great little car, but it did need some repairs in 2020 when bunch of things decided to start going.
-Idling pulley seized and cause belt shredded - easy.
-Then crank pulley started to fail - less easy
-Then transfer case started making noise - not easy at all, but its was 300-400 in parts (including transmission service) and I didn't have to replace transmission as most dealers will tell you to do.

I just replaced waterpump and t-stat as preventive - easy

The only repair before all this was replacing the engine mounts at 90k miles, that was pain too on AWD car.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLK 350 4Matic
The argument I have with the wife almost every day, "time to get rid of it before things get costly". I've owned mine for about 4 years. I've replaced the following :
- Theromast
- Pulleys / Crankshat (Squeak was super irritating for me)
- Battery
- Ball joint
- Locking Mechanism(Driver door)
- Brakes
- Spark plugs

It has over 188,000km on the vehicle. Driven daily, Ontario weather. Parked outside. Cars aren't meant to last forever. I try to keep up with all of its service. Its the fact of owning a vehicle. Its a Benz, it'll cost you more than a Toyota that's for sure. But you can still have a lot of issues with any other vehicle. I would definitely recommend anyone a GLK. I've got it fully loaded with MB cargo box. Love using it for family trips up north.
Old 11-14-2023, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300, W212 E350 (former)
Originally Posted by iewoals
Haven't had too many miles on mine (2010) yet. Coworker has quite a few on his, just passed 41,000 miles, mostly highway. No issues on his 2011. Well except for turn and head lights needing replacement often. But then the dealer has done it for free.

I think it's a nice car. Would I say it's reliable? Not sure I'd say yes to that one. Mine seems to have electrical gremlins that appear once the weather turns cold. Stability went haywire once and randomly applied brakes making my car swerve left and right on a straightaway. Also had it sputter once on startup when it was only a few weeks old. Was told it was unburnt fuel in the line since I started and stopped it quickly and then started it again later.

So it hasn't been as carefree as my Civic was way back when. But all cars seem to have some small issues these days. Our Toyota minivan has had a whole bunch of recalls on it. So if you like the car then go for it. Just remember that the cost of a repair with the GLK will probably be a lot more than with an equivalent Japanese or American SUV.
Now, if you're getting the work done at an indy mechanic shop, then prices should an order of a magnitude reasonable than what dealers charge you (BTW they don't call dealerships "stealerships" for nothing). Every car varies per experience. You may have had a couple gremlins, others had theirs well sorted out. They just vary...
Old 12-06-2023, 06:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
GLK350 ML55 Ducati Porsche
Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I would respectfully disagree. Mercedes product is sold world-wide and used in some of the most demanding environments known. The 350 6cyl. is well proved as is the 7spd. transmission as long as regularly serviced.

I would agree that the others mentioned are also well built and long lasting but there is nothing inherent in the Mercedes build that foreshadows problems. Put both the Mercedes and its competition on a rack and compare the underside components for design and obvious strength and you will find a very solid car.

The most of the reported problems with the current generation car is in the areas of the ancillary systems that are sometimes reaching to be on the cutting edge of technology. Radar cruise control, self parking systems, and some of the advanced electronics are areas of possible problems. Putting 20' wheels on a hard driven vehicle is a problem but the standard wheels and tires are no more problematic than those of the competition.

It all goes back to the theory that there are few bad choices with today's automobile and you need to own what you are comfortable driving. There are thousands of users in remote locations that would disagree that a GLK is designed as a "city car" for limited use.
Just more things to break. And when they break mechanics will have some thing new to fix and mangle until an experienced mechanic is found at a reasonable price. I spent $350 fixing 3 head light bulbs, 4 shops. And it's still not 100%, Washer reservoir still leaks. It's not the motor that will break, it's all the little bits.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:42 PM

ML 350
Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I think there are very few cars built today that won't last a couple hundred thousand miles if properly maintained and offer good reliability. The GLK is no exception and is built to a higher engineering standard than most.

The trade-off for the comfort of the car and the luxury features will be the cost of maintenance and replacement parts. This cost will naturally be more expensive than a less expensive vehicle where the initial cost of the sum of parts is less.

I think if you find a good and reliable independent service shop after the warranty period, avoid the more exotic electronic options available, and follow the recommended service suggestions religiously...the cost is manageable.
OK I know this is over a decade old but I cant seem to help myself;

GMC: 6.2 liter gas engine lifters crapping out at or under 20k miles, prior engine problems include plastic trays for oil direction breaking and taking out the entire valve train (see class action lawsuit for both now pending);
HYUNDAI: piston ring problem comprising about half a million cars needing total engine replacements;
FORD: took the best diesel Ford ever made the 7.3l with the infamous 6.4liter diesels followed by the even more infamous 6.7 l w/ cast aluminum pistons splitting in half, fuel injectors and entire fuel injection from pump forward self-destructing from water issues, diesel particulate exhaust literally catching fire w/ flames shooting out the exhaust pipe, EPA approved emissions wash cylinder walls with raw fuel thus diluting oil and contributing to an engine already rife longevity problems and on and on until they finally "fixed" these problems around 2010;
FIAT: Please you need me to list the issues? Just look at the BOOK of recalls; amazing
ALFA ROMEO: Why oh why did they take a name which at least had some romantic value that could have at least possibly been monetized by selling clothing into death.
MASERATI: The dealer actually warns buyers (after) to plug their cars in when they leave them overnight so the battery wont run down and the car won't start. Probably because the engine, at least the 3.7l v-6 twin turbo is shared engineering with Ferrari the drivetrain is actually quite robust, but I dare you to find a car requiring 15k a year in scheduled maintenance - including Ferrari.