GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK lurching suddenly in reverse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLK 2012
GLK lurching suddenly in reverse

I was slowly backing out of a leveled driveway and my back tires stopped in a deep dip at the bottom of the driveway. I pressed the accelerator slowly but the GLK still wouldn't move. After 2-3 seconds, I pressed slightly harder but not too hard for 1 second and then it suddenly punched backwards really fast for about a car length before I quickly braked.

If I didn't brake hard, I would have hit the building behind me. It felt like the car was trying to go from 0 to 50 mph really quickly but in reverse.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is this related to the 4MATIC feature? I could see how this might be useful if I were stuck in snow, but a dry driveway? The morning was cold, should I have warmed up the car better even though it was parked in a garage?

Model: GLK 4MATiC 2012
Miles: 5500
Date: Jan 2013
Weather: Dry conditions, cold morning at 40F
Driver experience: 25 years with no accidents, not driver error

Shouldn't the car be designed better to handle these situations? The speed of reversal should match the pressure placed on the accelerator. Also, if the engine ends up revving for whatever reason, then the internal software should counteract a sudden acceleration while reversing. Jump out of situation and then slow or stop.

This faulty design can be very dangerous. Service center says all cars are like this, but I've owned and driven many cars and have never experienced this before.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Lancer Ralliart
It could have to do with the "hill assist" - where it will apply the brakes when the car thinks you are trying to stop on a hill to park. Maybe it is operating normally but i've heard others that have been surprised at this going into effect and different times as well, could be a malfunction or a mis-judgement of the computer that controls it.