GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Sour CPO purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Oh don't worry we got it in writing. The problem is we found the deal because of an e-mail and we rushed over there to get the available car. In hind sight we were excited about the car and we were kinda rushed.

It all worked out in the end though, I was just surprised how disconnected MB of North America is to their dealer network. Lesson learned
Old 02-11-2013, 02:58 PM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by fndlair
Oh don't worry we got it in writing. The problem is we found the deal because of an e-mail and we rushed over there to get the available car. In hind sight we were excited about the car and we were kinda rushed.

It all worked out in the end though, I was just surprised how disconnected MB of North America is to their dealer network. Lesson learned
I agree, MBUSA is not only disconnected but useless, in my experience anyway.

Again, glad it worked out for you.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 GLK350
I was trying to hold off on updates while things are in limbo, but they still are, so I'll give a status.

With MBUSA having washed their hands of me (way to stand behind the CPO program, NOT!), I am working with the selling dealer. One thing I have to say is that the guy I am dealing with is nothing like a scumbag, he is actually a very good guy, who appears to genuinely want to do the right thing. The problem is that he is the sales manager, whereas the guy who told me the car was pristine was just a sales guy, who obviously never laid eyes on the car, at least not up close. "Promise them anything" must be his motto. So the sales manager is trying to undo the mess that his sales guy created.

To fix all the damage is about $4K. The sales manager said he'll pay for $1.5K of this because the damage occurred after I bought the car but before they shipped it. So I am trying to get some of the other $2.5K back - I think that if we can split the difference, I can make it work and get most of what I want fixed without excessive expense. We'll see.

Can't believe it costs $4K to fix a few dings and scratches - unfortunately they are scattered over 7 different panels, so it adds up fast.

I'll keep you updated.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 AM

2009 Lancer Ralliart
Makes you wonder how they damaged it - were they using this as a service loaner or something even though you had already purchased it!?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by lyonkster
I was trying to hold off on updates while things are in limbo, but they still are, so I'll give a status.

With MBUSA having washed their hands of me (way to stand behind the CPO program, NOT!), I am working with the selling dealer. One thing I have to say is that the guy I am dealing with is nothing like a scumbag, he is actually a very good guy, who appears to genuinely want to do the right thing. The problem is that he is the sales manager, whereas the guy who told me the car was pristine was just a sales guy, who obviously never laid eyes on the car, at least not up close. "Promise them anything" must be his motto. So the sales manager is trying to undo the mess that his sales guy created.

To fix all the damage is about $4K. The sales manager said he'll pay for $1.5K of this because the damage occurred after I bought the car but before they shipped it. So I am trying to get some of the other $2.5K back - I think that if we can split the difference, I can make it work and get most of what I want fixed without excessive expense. We'll see.

Can't believe it costs $4K to fix a few dings and scratches - unfortunately they are scattered over 7 different panels, so it adds up fast.

I'll keep you updated.
If the sales manager admits that the car was damaged while in their possession, regardless if it was before or after you purchased it they are responsible.

I would not settle for anything less than them paying the entire bill, you should not have to come up with anything.

I may be crazy but I would suggest that they contact a local MB dealer closer to you who could handle this for you on their behalf. I am pretty sure that there are MB dealers near you that either have their own body shop, or an MB certified body shop the Philly dealer could get in contact with.

You may need to inform the GM of the Philly dealership of what is going on.

Last edited by Cyber GS; 02-12-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM

2011 GLK350
Just to clarify, the selling dealer promised to pay for the damage that occurred while the car was sitting on their lot, which is one dent on the left side, and is about $1500. He has not agreed to pay to fix all the other small dings, which add up to another $2500. From his standpoint these are small imperfections, and I would agree with that if it weren't for the fact that his sales guy told me that the car did not have any such imperfections.

I would love to not settle for anything less than full reimbursement, but the problem is that I have no leverage. At this point, short of a lawsuit (which is nearly impossible across state lines, another lesson learned), I am at the mercy of the selling dealer honoring his idiot sales guy's false promises. I may take it up to the dealership's general manager, but I will still be at his mercy.

I am quickly finding out that the MB family is no different than any other car line I have dealt with before - all dealerships are independently owned and operated, and don't appear to want to take you under their wing unless you are paying them for it. Very disappointing so far.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
I don't know... I'd have shipped it back, or at least thrown in that threat. Return ship a car can't be more than $1000>1200. That would be my bottom line. The word 'Escrow' comes to mind.... meaning your $$$ is sitting in a neutral account and turned over once the product is delivered, and is satisfactory in the eyes of the buyer..... Surely you must have done something like that.
Note.. I haven't read the full thread. I apologize if that is the case..
my .02
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 PM

2011 GLK350
I thought about that, but I am not sure that they would take it back (this isn't Home Depot ), and besides, by then I would be out about $2500 for two way shipping, which is about the same amount that I am trying to collect for the body work. So I'll keep working the dealer.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:40 AM

2011 GLK350 4MATIC, 2013 GLK350 4MATIC
I understand you might be out $2.5k either way... but with a Mercedes, you want at least to have a peace of mind when you get it. 'cuz the cost of fix anything on the car is expensive... I would've return it to the dealer if possible. and just get another car locally after seeing it.... If all this car has are few cosmetic imperfections, then yeah, 2.5k on your end would just settle the dust, but what if some serious issue has already implanted with the car.... just a thought... it looks like this car has not been taking a good cared of... I seriously doubt only ONE dent was caused at the dealership...
Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 AM

2011 GLK350
I've looked this car over pretty thoroughly by now, and I am pretty convinced that it was well taken of and is not a "lemon" - it just happened to be owned by someone who was not a very good driver and not very careful when opening the doors. Other than that, all the maintenance records are in order, everything inside and under the hood is very clean and undamaged, so I think I am getting used to this as being "our car". Just want to get the exterior damage taken care of, and then it'll be as good as new.

I do have MB warranty till 2018, so that should help out with any non-cosmetic surprises.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ML350
Just received my 2011 CPO GLK (bought it sight unseen from across the country, based on the dealer's description that the car was like new).

Upon receipt, it is anything but that. Over a dozen dings/dents/scratches on numerous panels - nothing big, but most are beyond paintless dent removal. All were there at time of shipment, as indicated by bill of lading.

Other first impressions:

The car has clearly not been carefully detailed or waxed, but I can deal with that.

Two tires are new, two others are right at that 7/32 limit. Probably can't make them replace them, but still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Some kind of rattling noises, hopefully that will be easy to find/fix.

Rotors that are supposedly less than 1000 miles, look pretty grooved.

Transmission whine.

Wipers are totally worn out. I know, small thing, but it just adds up to a feeling that this is a far cry from the type of vehicle that the MB CPO brochure promises: "A Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned vehicle is a clean-skinned beauty, as free of dings, dents, rips, visible scratches, and scuffs as we can make possible, with high quality fit and finish inside and out." That is in fact exactly how the 10 or so cars that we saw at local dealers looked, so I sort of drunk the Cool Aid and assumed that all CPO cars would be like that. Apparently not.

So, my question is, how to best proceed. Should I start with the selling dealer (who is 2000 miles away), with my local dealer, or with MBUSA and have them tell me if this car is considered up to their CPO standards?

Anyone else had this type of experience, and has suggestions/tips of how to best deal with MB?

Anyway, not a good start to my MB experience .
I once purchased a CPO Lexus. In 1000 miles, whining sound from engine. Dealer says replace belts. I say, you do it. The ysay, not covered under warranty. I raised the point - you sold "cpo - like new". Like new cars do not need belts in 1000 miles. They agreed to take care of the belts.

After that, fk CPO. I'd rather buy a non-cpo, save $3K. My eyes are just as good as theirs.

This time, I got a 2010 ML350. non-cpo. Paid $7k less than CPO with similar mileage.

Sadly, you would have to start with selling dealer, and MBUSA concurrently.

Last edited by chikoo; 02-15-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:20 PM

ML350
Some more photos.

Ding/dent:

Long Scratch/ding:

Scrape/dent/scratch:

Just a big mess:

More scuffing:

You must be kidding me.
Most non-cpo MB have less dents (or none for that matter).
Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM

2011 GLK350
Well, I hope I don't jinx myself, but it looks like after weeks of arguing and back and forth with the dealer (plus the nuclear threat that my wife is about to have the GLK shipped back to them), the dealership agreed to cover most of the expense of the paint damages. So within two weeks, I should have a nearly-new looking GLK, which is what I thought I was getting to begin with. Phew.

Once that's done, I'm off to the local dealer to have them deal with the tranny whine, but that will probably become a separate thread.

Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
You mean keep YOUR fingers crossed.

Good to hear that they are going to cover it.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:16 AM

2013 ML350
I just purchased a CPO and went back to my brochure.

Appearance standards
A detailed visual inspection for dents, scratches, tears and scuffs
guarantees a high-quality finish inside and out.

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...r_Brochure.pdf

Last edited by cmasten; 02-22-2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: added brochure link
Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 AM

Well, I hope I don't jinx myself, but it looks like after weeks of arguing and back and forth with the dealer (plus the nuclear threat that my wife is about to have the GLK shipped back to them), the dealership agreed to cover most of the expense of the paint damages. So within two weeks, I should have a nearly-new looking GLK, which is what I thought I was getting to begin with. Phew.

Once that's done, I'm off to the local dealer to have them deal with the tranny whine, but that will probably become a separate thread.

Keep your fingers crossed.
Good for you!! I'm really glad it worked out for you..
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 AM

ML350
Phew. X ... That are my fingers crossed
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by cmasten
I just purchased a CPO and went back to my brochure.

Appearance standards
A detailed visual inspection for dents, scratches, tears and scuffs
guarantees a high-quality finish inside and out.

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...r_Brochure.pdf
Exactly, and I addressed this earlier in the thread. This stupid brochure is what largely got me to consider the idea of getting a car sight unseen - everything non-cosmetic is under warranty, and everything cosmetic is "reconditioned to a clean skinned beauty standards". What can go wrong?

Well what can go wrong (and did) is that MBUSA folded faster than the blink of an eye when I called them and tried to get them to step into this mess. All of a sudden, their line about cosmetic standards became "as long as there is no structural damage, body damage is acceptable". Really? "High quality finish" includes the possibility of any type of body damage as long as its not structural??

Anyway, I give kudos to the Philly dealer for taking care of this, but IMO this is a big black eye for MB corporate. Way to stand behind their promises of "resting assured" with the CPO program.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 GLC300 white, 2021 Taycan RWD silver
I'm glad it worked out for you, but certainly not without a ton of aggravation.

Why did you buy from across the country? Your experience should be a good lesson for everyone, never buy sight unseen.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:53 PM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by boylston
Why did you buy from across the country? Your experience should be a good lesson for everyone, never buy sight unseen.
Well it was extremely difficult to find one that we wanted locally. We're not picky , but we did want a 2011-12, white on beige, 4Matic, MM, Prem 1. And in CA, 4Matics are very hard to come by, whereas back East they are the prevalent variety.

Trusting the MB sales job, we decided that the CPO prep ensures that all will be taken care of, but obviously it was just that - a sales job, with no meat behind it.

I agree, I can't see myself ever buying a car sight unseen again, unless I already planned to have to do a bunch of work on it.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 GLC300 white, 2021 Taycan RWD silver
Four years ago, a friend from Boston bought a used Mercedes from Texas, one of those big preowned resellers.

After reserving it, he flew out to inspect it and drive it around the block before handing over the check. The car (now 7 years old) has been flawless since. He saved more than enough to pay for his flight out and to buy extended warranty.

Maybe a good lesson for all of us next time around.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK350
I would never buy a premium car sight unseen.

On a MBUSA lease, if a business card will cover the damage they don't charge for it.

On the other hand, when appraising them they don't even look or drive them. Hurts one like mine that IS perfect.

Good thing the car is white. Most any other color is difficult to match at best. And usually the body shop paint work deteriorates faster than the original. The pics show a car that was beat to rat****. What a shame.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by CJBROWN
I would never buy a premium car sight unseen.

On a MBUSA lease, if a business card will cover the damage they don't charge for it.

On the other hand, when appraising them they don't even look or drive them. Hurts one like mine that IS perfect.

Good thing the car is white. Most any other color is difficult to match at best. And usually the body shop paint work deteriorates faster than the original. The pics show a car that was beat to rat****. What a shame.
Very true
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 AM

2011 GLK350
The car is at the shop right now, and with 80% of it getting repainted, the concern about "matching" is largely moot. The shop I am using is not of the Maaco variety, it is a top notch shop that has painted cars in black for me before that looked show quality. I am very picky and they can meet my standards without a problem. They provide a lifetime warranty on their work, including any fading or discoloration. I am not worried about it one bit. And yes, I know it is easier to work on a white car than a black one .

It really is not beat to rat***, it just happened to be owned by someone who did not get the concept of door dings. Some people do, some don't. Other than the carelessness in parking and opening doors, the car appears to be very well taken care of.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:15 PM

ML350
does the GLK come with Ceramic clear coat, and will the body shop use that? Just curious.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sour CPO purchase