GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Sour CPO purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
Originally Posted by chikoo
does the GLK come with Ceramic clear coat, and will the body shop use that? Just curious.
Yes they use the new nano clear coat. Don't know if most body shops will use it in repair though.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 GLC300 white, 2021 Taycan RWD silver
Glad you are making progress, Leon. Can you share with us the cost of the repainting? I had a BMW keyed over 15 years ago and paid over $4,000 for the repaint.

I hope your new paint job comes out perfectly. You seem meticulous about your cars. You seem to keep a car once you get it, good luck with this one.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 GLK350
chikoo, the shop will be using PPG's Global D8188 clear, which is one of PPG's three aftermarket ceramiclear formulations.

Boylston, the estimate is around $3800 for the four doors, two quarters, and the liftgate. I expect it to be near perfect, and if it's not, you know who will be back to complain . Yes, I am very picky and keep my cars forever and then some. I'm one of those dopes who gets attached to their cars instead of treating them as disposable commodities. I'll post some pictures when it's done, assuming it's up to my standards .

Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350
I bought a 2010 CPO GLK Jan 2012 with 24,000 miles.
They replaced 2 tire during cpo nd had them repalce the other 2 part of the deal.
Long story short-- after purchasing the car (2 or 3 weeks later) it needed new front discs and rotors, new belt and tensioner.
Brought it back again for engine knocking noise.. Dealer ended up having mercedes engineers walk them thru tearing down engine to locate and fix knocking sound.
The car was at the dealership for over 6 weeks. I had a brand new C300 loaner so that was good.
And yes the car was maintained by the previous owner.
When the car was finished I said thanks but no thanks I dont want it anymore. Sat down with the GM and he completely understood and agreed all this should of beendone during cpo.
They ended up buying the car back for what I paid plus tax, title and reg fee.
Because of that customer service I bought a brand new 2012 GLK.

I dont like dealerships, but this one went above and beyond on a few times to make me happy and keep me as a customer.
As for mercedes benz customer service (the 800#) they are uselss..
Old 03-29-2013, 12:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic; 2010 E550, 2007 SL550
Not a ding on the OP, but for any prospective buyer who comes along and reads this thread.

Most times you can have a car shipped to your local dealer and buy it from them. It costs a little more at the front end, but you don't own it until you drive it, look at it, and sign the papers at the local dealership.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by PilotAlan
Most times you can have a car shipped to your local dealer and buy it from them. It costs a little more at the front end, but you don't own it until you drive it, look at it, and sign the papers at the local dealership.
I asked several prospective dealers if they would do that, they all said "no way". I could buy the car first and they would ship it to a local dealer (at my expense), but there would be no free shipping and no right of refusal.

BTW, the car is all done now, it looks gorgeous, so we finally have what we wanted.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
Our 2010 is a CPO & had its shortcomings. The vehicle was a demo, 17K on it. Tyres never rotated & one replaced but not the other which had 1/32" more tread- do not tyre manufacturers recommend to at least replace them in pairs? Wiper blades needed replaced, cargo net on pass. side missing as well as cargo cover. Carpets in back seat area badly stained too. Otherwise the car is doing fine & I have addressed the concerns mentioned. Previous CPO experience with another mfr.was much better, more like what I expected from MB.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:32 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by Rascally Wabbit
Our 2010 is a CPO & had its shortcomings. The vehicle was a demo, 17K on it. Tyres never rotated & one replaced but not the other which had 1/32" more tread- do not tyre manufacturers recommend to at least replace them in pairs? Wiper blades needed replaced, cargo net on pass. side missing as well as cargo cover. Carpets in back seat area badly stained too. Otherwise the car is doing fine & I have addressed the concerns mentioned. Previous CPO experience with another mfr.was much better, more like what I expected from MB.
There are min standards under the CPO guidelines that the dealers are suppose to follow in order for it to be qualified as a cpo car.
What were the tires tread depths when you looked at car? You could of negotiated new tires as part ofthe deal.
Wiper blades the same--part of the deal, especially since Mercedes wipers are different than all others.
Cargo Cover was not included on most 2010 GLK's.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:58 PM

The one tyre was within 1/32" of CPO guidelines & you are correct, I should have negotiated the new tyre in the deal. Another item which surprised me was there was no service on the vehicle until it was CPO at over 17K miles. Then we were assured that the "B" service had been performed before we took possession. After reviewing the records after we arrived home, discovered it had not been performed although the sales manager claimed "car was ready & no service required until the 30K service. So it was a rocky start but wife is happy with the car. Still have gremlins with the shifting some time which has been reported. Next service includes trans. fluid change & hopefully this will clear up this issue. This is not a 4WD model.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:49 PM

GLK350
If I m not mistaken part of the cpo process is to bring all mx up to date.
As for the transmission take it to the dealer and have them do an update. Had it done to my 2010 and my 2012. Your 2010 is under warranty, it will be no charge. I knew the 2010 needed the update, was surprised the 2012 did as well.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 PM

Yes, the car has had transmission software update. I am surprised & a little disappointed that the 2012 required it too. I ended up having to pay part of the cost of the 20k service. Looks like I will have to replace the tyres by 40K but will upgrade to 20" wheels when the time arrives later this year. CPO extended warranty is good until 2014.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C63s Coupe 2016 C450 DAILY
Hello,

I've had a similar issue to this , I own a 2008 CPO C300 sport.
I never received a spare key, maintenance book, manuals or anything
When I purchased the car in winter a year ago I didn't notice until end of may that the car had a ton of rock chips on the hood and fenders, also didn't notice that they sold it to.me CPO butit wasn't until 5k miles into it I noticed it didn't have all of the maintenance up to date which it should have per their guidelines of CPO . 39k transmission flush and brake services etc . After fighting back and.forth with mbusa on this they decided to do the 13k miles past due ,I've now had an extremely whining noise from engine or transmission and rough gear changes and slippage it seems. They all said it was normal .

The want for this car is not there.anymore since I've learned they basically scammed an amateur buyer (myself) .

If you have any questions please ask.

I do have one as to what's the best approach to the dealer, I have an appointment Monday to discuss concerns ?
What are my options?

What would you do in my shoes ?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by Bosnia1992
Hello,

I've had a similar issue to this , I own a 2008 CPO C300 sport.
I never received a spare key, maintenance book, manuals or anything
When I purchased the car in winter a year ago I didn't notice until end of may that the car had a ton of rock chips on the hood and fenders, also didn't notice that they sold it to.me CPO butit wasn't until 5k miles into it I noticed it didn't have all of the maintenance up to date which it should have per their guidelines of CPO . 39k transmission flush and brake services etc . After fighting back and.forth with mbusa on this they decided to do the 13k miles past due ,I've now had an extremely whining noise from engine or transmission and rough gear changes and slippage it seems. They all said it was normal .

The want for this car is not there.anymore since I've learned they basically scammed an amateur buyer (myself) .

If you have any questions please ask.

I do have one as to what's the best approach to the dealer, I have an appointment Monday to discuss concerns ?
What are my options?

What would you do in my shoes ?
since you have had your car for over a year now. i am going to say that unfortunately you are out of luck.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C63s Coupe 2016 C450 DAILY
Originally Posted by Fung63
since you have had your car for over a year now. i am going to say that unfortunately you are out of luck.
how is that so? it's still CPO with an extended warranty , meaning it shouldn't have been sold as CPO to begin with if it didn't at the time achieve those guidelines ?

Thanks for your reply.

Can anyone else chime in a little?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:12 PM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by Fung63
^^I agree with you.

The OP may have very well been scammed, but he purchased the car in the winter of 2012. It is now the spring of 2013 so I just don't see MB doing anything about this besides whatever is needed under the CPO warranty.

MB is going to say anything could have happen over the last 12-14 months. OP you needed to complain to them within a reasonable amount of time.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
ok for the cosmetic stuff... usually you need to complain asap because for every day you have the car, the chances of you being the one to put the dings on it increases. tough argument for you since you have car for so long

try another MB dealer with your car btw... dont tell them the history, just say you have odd noises... lets see what their tech finds.

I have bought many MBs... 3 in the past 10 months actually. 2 CPOs... and its alot of learning how to deal with these guys... ppl will tell you once you are buying CPO, no 2 cars are identical, there are some best practices to follow but usually you have to play everything by ear.

For what its worth, you are probably a much better and astute buyer now moving forward.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I don't think that Bosnia1992 was scammed at all. He just wan't paying attention. I don't care what season it is. Was there 6 feet of snow around the vehicle, did he buy it in the dark. He may have been so excited about owning a MB that he became "Blinded By the Light". Not sure that any of us are more than amateur buyers. It is always buyer beware when it comes to buying a used (CPO or otherwise) vehicle. If this was your first vehicle purchase you have unfortunately had an expensive lesson.

If it is body damage that you are looking to get fixed or compensated for that is out the window as soon as you drove it off the lot.

More importantly what was the warranty that came with the vehicle? Has it been exceeded? If there was a problem mechanically they should stand behind their work for X amount of time.

Persistence and a cool head is what is needed to get what you deserve not necessarily what you want. MB are great cars you just need to focus and be reasonable in your expectations.

Being late to the dance is better than not showing up at all. Best of luck.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by MKenM
I don't think that Bosnia1992 was scammed at all. He just wan't paying attention. I don't care what season it is. Was there 6 feet of snow around the vehicle, did he buy it in the dark. He may have been so excited about owning a MB that he became "Blinded By the Light". Not sure that any of us are more than amateur buyers. It is always buyer beware when it comes to buying a used (CPO or otherwise) vehicle. If this was your first vehicle purchase you have unfortunately had an expensive lesson.

If it is body damage that you are looking to get fixed or compensated for that is out the window as soon as you drove it off the lot.

More importantly what was the warranty that came with the vehicle? Has it been exceeded? If there was a problem mechanically they should stand behind their work for X amount of time.

Persistence and a cool head is what is needed to get what you deserve not necessarily what you want. MB are great cars you just need to focus and be reasonable in your expectations.

Being late to the dance is better than not showing up at all. Best of luck.
^^You’re probably right.

I know that anytime I pick up a new vehicle I go over it very carefully. I won’t pick it up in the rain unless I take delivery inside or underneath a canopy, under lights.

I have found that it is difficult to notice slight scratches/marks if the vehicle is wet.

I also walk around the vehicle when it is picked up from service, if there is any damage I would rather find it before I drive it away.

Off Topic- Beautiful GS, I love that color.. I had the same one before I traded it for the CTS-V. Hence my username- Cyber GS..
Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550, 2008 SL55 AMG
Mercedes-Benz CPO Program

The biggest lesson is that CPO is only as good as the selling dealer. The sad tales of problems in this thread are far from the only issues buyers have experienced.

Basically, CPO is eyewash. Poor decisions at a dealership can give a false sense of quality and leave a buyer with a car that isn't what CPO implies. Appeals to MBUSA typically elicit little or no support. In fact, I was told it was up to my selling dealership whether they wanted to address the issues I raised with my CPO SL55.

CPO or no, caveat emptor sill applies, and a dealership's reputation is the only indicator that a CPO certification may actually be meaningful.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by pdjv
The biggest lesson is that CPO is only as good as the selling dealer. The sad tales of problems in this thread are far from the only issues buyers have experienced.

Basically, CPO is eyewash. Poor decisions at a dealership can give a false sense of quality and leave a buyer with a car that isn't what CPO implies. Appeals to MBUSA typically elicit little or no support. In fact, I was told it was up to my selling dealership whether they wanted to address the issues I raised with my CPO SL55.

CPO or no, caveat emptor sill applies, and a dealership's reputation is the only indicator that a CPO certification may actually be meaningful.
So true.... my experience.. after hunting for a long time I finally found the GLK I was looking for. The dealer was in Quebec City(I live in Ottawa). Was treated great(best purchase ever) by the salesman. Inspected the Glk, test drove, all was great! Drove back to Ottawa that evening. 1st sunny day it became evident the windshield looked as though it had been sandblasted(vehicle was almost new, 18k kms/11k miles)((I picked it up on a cloudy day!)). Called the salesman, "he'll look into it", heard back 2 weeks later/numerous calls/obvious photos proving problem....Que City dealership(Sales Manger) said 'no way'! Called MB Canada, they suggested to visit MB dealer in Ottawa, complete with name of Serv Mngr. It took him all of 3 minutes to declare that the membrane between the safety glass was defective (hundreds of tiny air bubbles, only seen with sun shining/reflective) and he'd take care of the warranty... won a customer out of me!
It's amusing that the QC dealership couldn't have suggested the same as MBCanada.... just to visit local dealership and have them survey it... The whole deal left a sour taste in my mouth. You can bet I won't be back to that QC dealer ever!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:25 PM

2010 GLK 350
Originally Posted by Koenig1
So true.... my experience.. after hunting for a long time I finally found the GLK I was looking for. The dealer was in Quebec City(I live in Ottawa). Was treated great(best purchase ever) by the salesman. Inspected the Glk, test drove, all was great! Drove back to Ottawa that evening. 1st sunny day it became evident the windshield looked as though it had been sandblasted(vehicle was almost new, 18k kms/11k miles)((I picked it up on a cloudy day!)). Called the salesman, "he'll look into it", heard back 2 weeks later/numerous calls/obvious photos proving problem....Que City dealership(Sales Manger) said 'no way'! Called MB Canada, they suggested to visit MB dealer in Ottawa, complete with name of Serv Mngr. It took him all of 3 minutes to declare that the membrane between the safety glass was defective (hundreds of tiny air bubbles, only seen with sun shining/reflective) and he'd take care of the warranty... won a customer out of me!
It's amusing that the QC dealership couldn't have suggested the same as MBCanada.... just to visit local dealership and have them survey it... The whole deal left a sour taste in my mouth. You can bet I won't be back to that QC dealer ever!
I'm about to do the same thing here and buy a Quebec vehicle (Montreal not Quebec City) from Ontario. I find the variety of GLKs is pretty mixed especially if you're picky on features like I am. My plan was to put a deposit over the phone and inspect it thoroughly in person when I make my way down a few days later.

Is this what you did? If so did you get a receipt by e-mail for the deposit?

I'm half way between Kingston and Ottawa so I'm curious which dealership you went to where you had the good experience.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:58 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
I was looking for quite some time..... Got to know some of the dealerships, and how they operated! I had particular choices in mind, and knew it would be a hard find. Believe it or not, I was on a ferry back to Vancouver(family out west) when I came across the ad for mine in Que city.... wrote the sales, told him to hold it for me as I was returning to Ottawa the next day. All went well, treated like a king, well... that is until the glass problem. My sales guy was top notch, but the dealership proved to be sketchy, at least to me. I'm sure others have had good experiences! My complaint was a pretty valid one, having another MB service manager make the decision within 5 minutes! It just left a sour taste!
Montreal?? where? Silverstar.... huge dealership, one of the biggest in Canada. The Laval dealer was pretty good with followups as well. $500. 'refundable' down with the rest after inspection/drive. Mastercard is your receipt. One of the smoothest transactions ever. The sales guy was pretty upset that his manager 'swept' it under a rug! Good luck with your ride, be sure to get some warranty(just in case) along with all the maintenance up to date. Make sure you ask if it's a 'smoker's' car... Pita to make the drive and find out then! You'll have to get a safety when you return to Ontario. In my case the GLK was so new and the garage knew MBs', it was pretty quick.
again , good luck!
The dealership in Ottawa is Ogilvie Motors.... very impressed to date with everyone I have been in contact with!!!