GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Squeeks and creaks revisited

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2024 GLC300, 2014 BMW M235i
Squeeks and creaks revisited

A few months ago, some were complaining about creaking noises in vehicle, usually in the back somewhere. Some of us, including me, thought they had cured the creaks by applying silicon spray or graphite on the door and window seals. Well today, my servicing dealer found the problem. It's the rear seat latches; the ones that hold the seat-backs upright. Lube them and say goodbye to the creaks.

3.5L
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Glad that they finally pin point the noise.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by 3.5L
A few months ago, some were complaining about creaking noises in vehicle, usually in the back somewhere. Some of us, including me, thought they had cured the creaks by applying silicon spray or graphite on the door and window seals. Well today, my servicing dealer found the problem. It's the rear seat latches; the ones that hold the seat-backs upright. Lube them and say goodbye to the creaks.

3.5L

Well this was the first thing I did when I read your post, but my creaking has not gone away. Mine only creaks when I go up a driveway or "flex" the body (speed bumps, drainage ditches). It sounds like it's coming from inside the C-Pillars or the rear strut mounts. There's also a distinct knocking sound coming from the same area related to the creaking. The noise is symmetrical and comes from both sides of the rear, so I don't think it's something loose. I've taken it to the dealer and the service advisor stated that he would have to take the whole thing apart and start putting felt in the interior panels to fix the noise, but since it sounded expensive I didn't do it. And yes I've lubed the weather seals (top of all 4 doors) and that does help keep the ride quieter.

Besides this and a minor ticking noise that comes from somewhere around the steering column (which also drives me crazy) the interior is very well noise controlled.

Oh well, first world problems.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK
The OP's post worked for me; my '13 made a distinct THUMP when I went over drainage culverts or rolled curbs (both common here in Arizona). It wasn't a rattle but a single, distinct THUMP somewhere in the rear cargo area. Dealer couldn't find/solve the problem so I followed OP's recommendation and applied a healthy layer of clear plumbers grease to the rear seat back latch/locking mechanism on driver's side. Presto, the THUMP is no more. Worked immediately. Thanks 3.5L!