GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

First warranty issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 VW Golf TDI, '13 GLK 250
First warranty issue

At 5116 kms, our 250 won't go into park by pressing the park button on the shift lever. It does go into park when you put it in neutral, shut the engine off and then open the door. WTF?

We are heading out to Saskatoon this afternoon to visit my in-laws as we have some wonderful news to share with them (after 5 years of trying, including 3 rounds of fertility treatment, my wife and I are 7 weeks pregnant au naturel ) so it looks like we're taking the TDI. The GLK will go in to the shop on Monday when we get back to town.

On a side note, our last tank which was about a 60/40 split (city/hwy) netted 37.1 mpg imp. Much better than the old '10 CRV gasser.

Last edited by bigd69; 08-16-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by bigd69
At 5116 kms, our 250 won't go into park by pressing the park button on the shift lever. It does go into park when you put it in neutral, shut the engine off and then open the door. WTF?
It's supposed to shift to Park when you open a door, even if you're not in Neutral. Of course, it should also shift into Park when you press the button in for Park. The dealer will have to figure out why the button doesn't work.

On a test drive, I was in Drive, getting ready to pull out of the lot when the sales guy thought my door was slightly ajar, so I opened it and closed it, then tried to pull out of the lot. The car didn't go anywhere! So he explained that little safety feature to me. Personally, I kind of think if someone is stupid enough to get out of the car with it still in gear and perhaps gets run over when they walk in front of the car that's still in gear, well, let's call it Darwinism at work.

We are heading out to Saskatoon this afternoon to visit my in-laws as we have some wonderful news to share with them (after 5 years of trying, including 3 rounds of fertility treatment, my wife and I are 7 weeks pregnant au naturel )
Congratulations! Just don't tell your in-laws that you told the internet before you told them.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:38 PM

2013 GLK250BT
Let's hope this is just a P switch or a software issue. I wouldn't expect anything serious.
PS: Congrats on family planning.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:22 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
this is a good thread to update to keep track of potential problems.

Here is mine:
rear seat middle belt locked up, had to replaced, i suspect there may be a design flaw when you fold the seat down and back up
Old 08-16-2013, 08:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
Mine:
Drivers side seat buttons don't work (seat won't move). Have to unplug and replug the wire harness under the seat to get it to work. Happened several times now. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong. They checked the harness and it hasn't oxidized. They want me to drive to service once it stops working, but that's usually after work when they are already closed. (2013 GLK 350)
Old 08-16-2013, 11:01 PM

So we're now in Saskatoon. About 2/3 of the way there (Kindersley), the info center beeps and there's a message telling me that the passive lane departure warning system has quit functioning...?? Then, as we're cruising Circle Drive in S'toon, it's working again...??

On the bright side- we averaged 6.2 l/100 km while cruising at 125 kph for most of the 6+ hour trip

Last edited by bigd69; 08-16-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 PM

Waiting for the new part, it turned out to be the switch in the shifter stalk that is shot. Part has to come from Germany so a 10 day wait
Old 08-22-2013, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Bidg - the message you was that the windshield sensor was somehow "blocked" - oftem than can either be a big bug smash in that area, or heavy rain.snow etc.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:37 PM

2013 GLK250BT
My turn:
  • Transmission oil leak (within 24 Hrs. of ownership);replaced seal on transmission - on output flange, within 72 hours;
  • Check engine light (within first 10 days of ownership); replaced temperature sensor on CAT, it took them about 15 days to diagnose and repair
Currently at 8500 km, no other issues noticed (GLK 250BT).
Old 08-22-2013, 08:13 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Originally Posted by GLKforever
My turn:
  • Transmission oil leak (within 24 Hrs. of ownership);replaced seal on transmission - on output flange, within 72 hours;
  • Check engine light (within first 10 days of ownership); replaced temperature sensor on CAT, it took them about 15 days to diagnose and repair
Currently at 8500 km, no other issues noticed (GLK 250BT).
how did you detect the oil leak? check engine light or pool of oil on the floor?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 PM

2013 GLK250BT
These were two separate unrelated issues.
  • pool of oil (about 5 in. in diameter) under the car on the floor in my garage
  • CEL came off few days after the first issue. It was the faulty temperature sensor - not related to transmission oil leak
Just to mention - I had CEL issue on my B200. MB shop tried to diagnose and repair but without success (although about $500 charge for STAR diagnosis and part replacement sounds profitable) I still managed 50,000 km with CEL on. I was going to keep the B200 but had to let it go due to additional issues - rust at the bottom of all 5 doors, steering column noise etc.
Hopefully, reliability will not be an issue with this one
Old 12-10-2013, 04:01 PM

update

Waiting for the new part, it turned out to be the switch in the shifter stalk that is shot. Part has to come from Germany so a 10 day wait
time for an update...

The park switch took 1 month to arrive and get replaced. Dealer had GLK for two days, no loaner available. While at the dealer, I talked with the advisor about the inside drivers door panel. The panel/armrest would squeek like crazy if you rested your arm on it or grabbed the handle to pull the door closed. The latch was also rough and required quite a strong pull to open the door. The passenger side pull worked perfectly. Turned out that the entire inner door panel with latch had to be ordered in- you guessed it- from Germany.

Fast forward to last Friday...-35 deg Celcius and 60 cm of snow. Just under 14,000 kms on the clock. My wife (now 6 months pregnant) calls me at work to tell me that there is no heat in the GLK and she's freezing and having trouble keeping the windshield clear. Call the dealer right away, can't get it in til monday. Try to book a loaner ahead of time, again no loaner available . Advisor figures it's a blower motor, says it's a common issue.

Get a call from advisor late yesterday afternoon, it's not the blower motor but the regulator for the blower motor. Don't have the part, have to get it in hopefully overnight. We'll see...the last part was supposed to arrive in 10 days and took 4 weeks.

Getting the 15,000 km service done as well while it's in. Saving the hassle of making more arrangements 4-5 weeks down the road.

Anybody else have issues in getting a loaner? Sales dept really played up the loaner program, yet it doesn't seem to ever be available for me.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:57 PM

Anybody else have issues in getting a loaner? Sales dept really played up the loaner program, yet it doesn't seem to ever be available for me.
No, I have never had issues getting a loaner and I get them for every service, no matter how quick or minor. I've even had a loaner when all I was having done was a tire rotation back when they used to do those for free.

Why are loaners not available to you? Does your service not meet some minimum requirements for when they will provide a loaner? If so, that's a bunch of bull and you should find a new dealership. Or are they simply out of available loaner cars? If they're out of loaner cars every time you go for service, they clearly need to get more loaners... or you need to find a new dealership.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:28 PM

They are always out of loaners. Advisor says they have 8 (could have been 9??) available. I've already made contact with the only other MB dealer in Calgary. Will drop in one day soon to chat with them.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Most dealers I've used, Land Rover, Jaguar, MB, BMW, VW, have a deal with one of the auto rental agencies nearby. If they don't have a dealer loaner, they pay for a rental loaner at a very low rate. I think it is $11/day. They easily make that up on goodwill and charges.
The Enterprise office where I am, services most of the dealers (9) in my area. Makes it hard to rent from them on Monday mornings if you need a car for business trips. Some of the local dealer don't even have their own loaners as insurance and maintenance on a loaner fleet is more than the cost of a rental. Of course you may get a Kia as a loaner but it at least gives you a ride with nationwide rental company service.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by bop11
Some of the local dealer don't even have their own loaners as insurance and maintenance on a loaner fleet is more than the cost of a rental. Of course you may get a Kia as a loaner but it at least gives you a ride with nationwide rental company service.
Quite a while ago, my preferred dealership used to provide loaners through their sister dealerships (more mainstream brands like Toyota and Nissan). People complained. It's not acceptable to take an S-Class in for service and be put in a Toyota Tercel (I guess a Yaris these days) loaner. It's just not. They've had an exclusive Mercedes-Benz loaner fleet now for years.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by balticgreen
It's supposed to shift to Park when you open a door, even if you're not in Neutral. Of course, it should also shift into Park when you press the button in for Park. The dealer will have to figure out why the button doesn't work.

On a test drive, I was in Drive, getting ready to pull out of the lot when the sales guy thought my door was slightly ajar, so I opened it and closed it, then tried to pull out of the lot. The car didn't go anywhere! So he explained that little safety feature to me. Personally, I kind of think if someone is stupid enough to get out of the car with it still in gear and perhaps gets run over when they walk in front of the car that's still in gear, well, let's call it Darwinism at work.

Congratulations! Just don't tell your in-laws that you told the internet before you told them.
Here's a question about the automatic switch to Park when opening the door. The manual says that it will do it at very low speeds but is there a cut off speed meaning anything above 2 mph for example and the transmission will not auto engage the park for the door opening. I would hate to be driving along at some higher speed and notice the door not closed and open it only to ruin my transmission.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
The service you have received from the local dealership is lousy at best. Warranty issue, loaner not available & especially considering your familial concerns, the dealership should be hopping over barrels & through loops for you. Parts can be given priority to get them in faster. Contact the MB customer service regarding these issues. As mentioned, an appropriate alternative vehicle should be made available if a loaner is not perhaps even at their expense. Many years ago, my significant other & I decided to drive Saabs. Other manufacturers were readily available to us BUT the service that the Saab dealership gave us was next to none. Totally spoiled us to this day. Keep the forum posted & congrats on the pregnancy!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 PM

The good-

So the part came in overnight as stated. They fixed the regulator, replaced the inner door skin panel, and did the 15K service. They also installed the rear cargo liner that we had ordered several months ago.

The bad-

The door skin r & r resulted in damage to the trim around the door latch lever. The door lever still has a hard pull to open the door, nothing like the passenger side...and the cargo liner doesn't fit properly even though it's genuine MB. The 15k service cost $401.00

Oh yeah...no loaner either. My wife called the dealer shuttle service to pick up the 250, took nearly 2 hours to get her to the downtown dealership from her NE Calgary office.

I've also noticed since this work was done that the hatch hinges make an awful sound when the hatch opens or closes.

Our experience to this point has not been favourable. Reviews of the other Calgary dealer are not promising either. Considering aftermarket MB warranty approved service, also considering bailing out of the MB experiment for good, cut our losses. Sad to say- we've done much better in the past with VW sales and service
Old 12-16-2013, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rascally Wabbit
Keep the forum posted & congrats on the pregnancy!
Thanks Wabbit
Old 12-17-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
Definitely time for you to have a chat with MB Canada customer service. The GLK is a good vehicle imo & the difficulties you have experienced are unnecessary. Once again it is the dealership which makes the difference on customer satisfaction. If your experience with VW is better, then I can understand & appreciate your thinking on this. However, before taking the financial hit of dumping the GLK, I would have the satisfaction of talking to someone above the local dealership level. Good luck & keep us updated.