GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk250
We have had the nox sensors replaced twice now and after that, the car had to be towed due to engine light and inability to accelerate. A total of 560 miles were put on the car during test drives. During this time, the service tech even synced his i-phone to our car......nice, which we discovered after having the car back for a few days and he called to ask if we could look to see if his wife left her sunglasses in the car. They have never replaced software in our car, nor mentioned it as a fix.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:38 AM

GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Originally Posted by socalglk
We have had the nox sensors replaced twice now and after that, the car had to be towed due to engine light and inability to accelerate. A total of 560 miles were put on the car during test drives. During this time, the service tech even synced his i-phone to our car......nice, which we discovered after having the car back for a few days and he called to ask if we could look to see if his wife left her sunglasses in the car. They have never replaced software in our car, nor mentioned it as a fix.
Hi there
Petty sad to hear your experience with MB dealership and THE CAR!!!
well its a pity , you don't live in MA orelse you would have a new car by now.
I had MB REPALCE my ORDER (they messed up my order when I ordered a new one from a very large MB dealer - which resulted in my not having anything for extra 4 mths) SO THAN I called MB USA and asked them to GIVE ME A LOAN CAR "free of charge" - they did send me a YELLOW TAXI CAN looking brand new car with 60miles on clock!
SO plus when I got my car (finally arrived 4 mths too late) I had everything any GLK would ever likely to be put in !!! - so wasn't complaining. However to get to THAT POINT - you have to create some" noise' and I even YELLED @ the salesman in front of their CUSTOMERS!! lol even wife was shocked that I can do that !!@!@!!

SO I worked with the SATE COMSUMER AFFAIRS ( MA had the famous MARTHER!!!@ that time) and ALSO WRITE EMAIL CONTACT anyone everyone @ MB USA. ALWAYS use "lemon laws" and always use ' greatly disappointed" and 'recover loss of use for something PAID FOR " .....
Mind you I was and did pay CASH for my car ( no one does that these days)

SO to make matters worse - this same company ( their AUDI DIVISON) when I had my COMPANY CAR - R8 Audi ( don't ask!!) that time one service tech took it and drive 190 miles over the weekend and left all sorts of things INSIDE THE CAR!!.... so at pickup - I saw my Cds (from 6 stack cd payer) missing and all those other things like his grocery shopping etc ,> and the ISSUE OF MMI still existed (non fix) !!!!! I REFUSED to take that car!!! Short story - they have me a BRAND NEW car a week later ! Wasn't easy , but you HAVE TO STICK TO YOUR PRINCPLES and even though its not easy at first - when that dealer finds out that bring on 6pm TV news is worth more loss than replacing that car .......

Maybe having been in 'sales" for 37 yrs and used cars always during my work and seen 50+ cars & nearly all BRANDS win my working life I am always amazed that the CAR INDUSTRY hasn't really every changed much. Also in my view the EUROPEAN BRANDS are more easy to deal with than others......
>hope this helps ; as I know that violated feeling - of someone using YOUR CAR......Cheers
Old 05-31-2014, 07:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by socalglk
You need a new and more competent dealer!
Old 05-31-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250
The part the makes me mad is the Dealers Claim they have never heard of these problems. They are getting NO HELP from Mercedes as far as trouble shooting goes, or so they claim. I was told that to fix the problem on my 2014 GLK diesel not only did they do an engine software update, but they also had to do an software update on the exhaust system. I don't know if there really is software for the exhaust or that was BS. We drive over 2,000 miles since the repair and so far so good.
I love the car, the way it drives, performance, economy, but would I feel good about my wife drive cross country by herself, no.
Not sure what it is about German products, they make great vehicles, but not so good sevice. I've never been impress by any of the MB dealerships I've been to. Once it's out of warranty I have an independent guy who services my vehicles.
I had several BMW Motorcycles, great driving bikes, but same poor dealers, hard to get repairs covered by warranty, expensive service charges.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:48 PM

glk250
In researching the lemon law, it is not the dealer's responsibility to make good on the car, it is the manufacturer's responsibility which explains why MBenz USA will not respond to our emails and phone calls. They hope we just give up and go away. I think we have also received poor customer service from our dealer because we bought our car at an out of town dealership (Newport Beach) and we live in San Diego. The local dealer has actually been pleasant and we have enjoyed our experience with them (all except the service tech actually using our car as a personal vehicle) much more so than the Newport Beach dealership or MBenz USA. Lessons learned the hard way, unfortunately. Our concern at this point is that our car has never been deemed repaired so there is an uncertainty of actually going on a road trip. Again, this being a software issue has never been mentioned to us. The local dealership has mentioned that they are not getting support and answers from MBenz, which is very disappointing since this appears to be a wide spread problem. At this point, we have been very disillusioned with MBenz and it appears that this will be our first, last, and only experience with them. Back to BMW we will go...We actually had a great experience with our BMW, dealers, and all. We were just looking for a different type of vehicle than BMW offered at the time. We thought the GLK 250 was the answer. Thought that MBenz had made diesels for years, so the kinks would be worked out.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
The dealer isn't being straight with you. Somewhere on this board there is a bulletin number to all dealers on the fix for this issue. Though I've never been into my dealer for any service, or otherwise, I discussed this issue with the service manager who was up-to-date from MBUSA for the correction. As a matter of fact, I referred someone on this board to my dealer and the problem was corrected with kudos from the owner for the service they got. It WAS a software issue that required an update and the replacement of one of the NOx sensors. Don't blame Mercedes-Benz for an incompetent service department.

Also consider that this isn't a 'diesel' problem. The engines are fine. The AdBlue truly has nothing to do with the engine, only the exhaust gases. Furthermore, other cars in their stable also have AdBlue and they haven't had the problem. This is a frustrating issue I know but the ire should be directed at the dealer. Too many of these cars are on the road without problems, as is the case with mine.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:33 PM

GLK250
Bob, It would be great if you could make that Bulletin Number easy to find, some how post it. I've looked and so far haven't found it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who like to have a copy available. I pretty sure most of the diesel owner would appreciate it. I know I would feel better having it available when I'm on the road. Sure seems most of the dealers haven't a clue about the problem or how to retrieve MB bulletins.
I guess this just reaffirms most dealers aren't interested in customer support. The real money must be in sales.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:15 PM

glk250
We actually sent you a private message for more information as you requested and never got a response. Not sure why you have such an interest if you're having no problems with your car, yet you know exactly how to fix it. Sounds vaguely like you work for MBenz or a dealership. Actually there have been many problems documented with the diesel in newer model cars. 45% of problems with Mercedes reported to the NHTSA has to do with the emissions system. So happy for you that you love your car and you have an awesome service dept at your dealership. The rest of us are trying to resolve the problems with our cars. If you do have the answer to the issue, be it software or whatever, why don't you post the information on this site so we can take it into our dealers. Thank You
Old 05-31-2014, 05:55 PM

2014 GLK Blutec
At 600+ miles on the odometer last fall our cel came on on our 2014 GLK 250 Blutec. A couple of starts later the Adblue 10 starts left message came on while on the way to the dealer. Dealer fixed problem in about 5 days. We were their first one. In February the cel and Adblue 10 starts left came on with 6000+ on the od. They went out the next day. I did add def to the reservoir, but it only took 2.5 gallons. Yesterday at 8000+ miles on the od, the cel came on again. Car goes to the dealer on Monday. It is a great car, but more problems than I would like. We average 29-31 mpg around town and 35-41 mpg on the highway.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:02 AM

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Well, I hate to be posting this, but... at a bit over 14,700 miles this morning, the CEL came back on. (My first experience with the issue came at around 3000 miles, when I asked my dealer in Louisville to *preemptively* apply the software fix - which then triggered the problem 30 minutes later, and was then serviced in Nashville the next day.) After teaching my summer course, I went right to the dealer in Louisville. The "10 starts remaining" never did show up, but I didn't give it much of a chance to do so.

The dealer checked the codes, and wants to replace the NOx sensors, as many have had before. Because the parts need to be ordered, and because I have to drive to Nashville again tomorrow with my fiancée, I asked them to simply clear the codes and let me take the car home. So far, so good. The sensors should be in next week, and replacement and software calibration is in order on Tuesday. I'm somewhat sad that this issue should crop up again over 10,000 miles later. My vehicle is a September 2013 build. The NOx sensors are the original hardware in this car. Despite all this, I'm not the least bit worried, and am confident in my drive tomorrow. My past experiences tell me that 1.) the CEL will likely not come on again for quite a while, plenty of time to have it serviced next week and, 2.) if it does come on, along with the AdBlue message during the drive down tomorrow, if I drive long enough, it won't prevent me from starting the car. Will post after Tuesday's service.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:16 AM

2010 911 Turbo Cabriolet, 2014 Mazda3
I hate to say it but can't help myself - reading through this thread makes me glad that mine is a 2013 instead of a 2014. Just over 9,000 miles without a single issue.

I really hope MBUSA gets this issue resolved for everybody!
Old 06-06-2014, 06:06 PM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
ONE MORE TIME....

We took delivery of our GLK 250 diesel in early January - production date early October. First big road trip was from our home in Vancouver WA [think Portland OR] to Las Vegas for an extended vacation. On the way back, about 3 hours out of Vegas [and out of cell range], the dreaded "AdBlue / 16-starts-left" message came up, with a CEL. Thanks to this forum, I was able to point the home-town dealer in the right direction once we got back.

FYI, the service procedure reference is LI49.10-P-058243 [that second letter is an I - "eye"]. The message appeared at about 1700 miles, and the fix was applied at about 2500 miles.

On another note, I should say that this is our 18th Mercedes since 1968, and I love this car, notwithstanding the AdBlue fix. We had a gasoline '10 GLK350, so I'm not entirely new to this body style, and it's my 6th diesel, though none in the last few years. What's not to like [besides the spare tire issue]? It's quiet, comfortable, quick enough, easy to use, and we consistently get 35+ mpg at 75 mph. Our overall average for the 4800 miles to date is right around 32 mpg. Even suburban running around, with multiple stops, yields 29-30 mpg - the '10 GLK350 struggled to deliver 18-19mpg under these conditions.

UPDATE: We now have nearly 5000 miles on the car, and no further problems. For all of you dealing with incompetent service departments, you have my sympathies - start with the service procedure mentioned in my original message. Find a dealer who will read the available documentation, if you can. Yes, MBUSA should be ultimately accountable, but the dealer body is the source for delivering the product. Our dealer in Portland OR was easy to communicate with, applied the fix in a timely fashion, and sent us on our way.

Last edited by jrct9454; 06-06-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
S213
Originally Posted by ak_ku
Just came back from San Francisco. 1000miles in three days. Odometer shows now 1490 miles totally. *knock knock* no issues so far. Car runs like a dream.
Now 7 months later at 3200 miles, CEL came on(no messages). Took the car to the dealer right away. Let's see how this proceeds. They promised to check it latest on Mon.

Order date was last year August, delivery late October.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:24 PM

S213
Now 7 months later at 3200 miles, CEL came on(no messages). Took the car to the dealer right away. Let's see how this proceeds. They promised to check it latest on Mon.

Order date was last year August, delivery late October.
I can confirm what jrct9454 was saying. Got the car back. I got only CEL on, no messages.

Description:

"3207 Software update perform sds test, found fault code: P13DF00 The AdBlue system has a malfunction. Perform document search related to fault code, found LI49.10-P-058243 to perform software on CDI. Perform update...successful. Adapt NOX sensor, erased fault code, road test, repair complete."

Mileage in/out 3205/3209.

I hope this new Software will give my car "permanent protection"

Service was fast, during Mon. like they promised. Courtesy check, wash and vacuum + tire pressure check.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:02 AM

S213
Now, after the SW update, should I expect something to happen. How is it with others, did that flash help or did you need the NOX sensor replacement also? Just curious, how much that NOX sensor cost and how many of those we have in the car?

Just what to expect. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:36 AM

To follow up on my repair work last week, the new NOx sensor was installed (our cars only have one) and the sensor adaptation procedure was done. As a quick note, after I had asked the dealer to clear the codes while they waited for the parts to come, the CEL didn't come on once, even after almost 700-800 miles of driving. Either way it has been replaced and repaired.

Sadly, just two days after repairs, a horrific accident occurred right in front of me, one lane to the right, as a pickup truck slammed into a nearly-stationary car at 70MPH. Our car was showered in a huge rain of broken glass, tail lamp assemblies, and other parts. I got out to check on the occupants, all of which seemed to have survived, though the rear end of the small car that was rear-ended no longer existed. Fortunately, no one was in those seats. After calling in the accident, we continued our drive. Only 30 minutes later did I check for damage to my car, and the hood doesn't look so pretty. Many deep scratches down to the metal, and one small dent. All in all though, we're very fortunate that we weren't involved beyond that. Insurance claim is already filed, and I will have it repaired in a few weeks when I'm back in town.

With respect to the CEL after repairs, I have driven over 1200 miles since the repair last week, including a 15-hour trip from Nashville to Miami with my fiancée on Sunday. All seems to be well, we couldn't be happier with the car's performance. The repairs to the paint and hood will be done when we get back from our wedding, which will be happening in just a bit more than a week. We have a long trip tomorrow, but we don't anticipate any issues with the emissions systems. Will post back after the 20k service in a couple of months.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:06 PM

S213

I hope this new Software will give my car "permanent protection"
After 40 miles, AdBlue 10 starts remaining message came to dashboard. No CEL this time. Took the car back to dealer (got it back this week Mon, so second time in a week). Got a loaner. Let's see, update for the situation comes probably on Mon. next week.

*Sigh*
Old 06-23-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
It is good to hear about potential problems that can occur with MB Bluetec 250...It will be a warning concerning this computer problem.
It is serious problem when a message of 10 starts left...according to the manual, if not corrected ,the vehicle will not start.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:02 PM

2014 GLK250 09/13
OK, back here again after 6 months and 3000 miles. The CEL and AdBlue warning are on again and I'm back at the dealer. This time I'm told there is a leak in the AdBlue system since it's low. They gave me a loaner and it has been a day so far. Let's see what happens.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:19 AM

S213
After 40 miles, AdBlue 10 starts remaining message came to dashboard. No CEL this time. Took the car back to dealer (got it back this week Mon, so second time in a week). Got a loaner. Let's see, update for the situation comes probably on Mon. next week.

*Sigh*
Got my car back. They only added Adblue (it was not empty) and reseted level sensor.

Description:"Adblue full level sensor not immersed/reset Adblue level sensor values perform das test code P13DF00/P13E300. Check for CDI control unit software update, no new software available. Reset NOx sensor adaptation values in SCR control unit. Check Adblue actual values, found full level sensor not immersed. Correct Adblue level, reset level sensor. Check and erase codes. Overnight test drive vehicle (ok at that time). Road test vehicle 61 miles."

Just came into my mind, if these level sensors have been configurated "wrongly" with not full tank(sensors do not read value, e.g. In my case full level sensor did not see anything, ever), software can think that Adblue is low and give alarms? Also amount of used Adblue might be off, causing computer to think/calculate wrong values.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:15 PM

14 glk250
Just had my 14 250 throw the adblue code , they fixed it today ? 1150 mi on vehicle , hope this is not going to be a regular problem ?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:14 PM

GLK250
One hopes that glitches do not occur with MB GLK250BT
Will be traveling far from home for some vacation travels.
In my area at least diesel fuel is cheaper than high test gasoline.
Presently getting good fuel mileage city/highway....
Still working on researching replacement Run Flat tires & the possibilities that the tire manufacturers will be producing more all season tires run flat tires
Found repeatedly that the Larger Tire Manufacturers produce various new technologies for run flat tires but not 235/50/R19 size....
Old 07-08-2014, 12:37 AM

So, about 1500 miles after the repair on June 10th, the CEL came back on again on July 1st. My wife and I had driven down to Miami where we were married on the 28th. Everything had been running great, we had put over a thousand miles since the NOx sensor had been replaced, and the car was running beautifully. However, while handling moving duties on July 1st, the CEL came on after a 45 minute drive. The next day, the 10-starts message appeared while bringing my parents to the airport. I drove for a good while (about 30 minutes), and the start count had gone up to 16. After I parked, the "starts remaining" display had disappeared.

I called my dealer in Louisville, who tried to arrange an appointment in Miami for us. I also spoke with mbrace, and thanks to their intervention, Mercedes-Benz of Coral Gables had a time slot for me just 3 hours later. I had initially requested that they just clear the codes, but I was told that the number of starts had been limited, and that clearing codes wouldn't correct it. They mentioned having seen the issue with another 2014 GLK250 BT just a week prior. The service manager informed me that there was a new firmware flash available. Apparently, this may not have been done back in Louisville. Less than 2 hours later, the car was ready.

The repair order did indeed show the procedure for the newest firmware update for the CDI module and recalibration. It mentioned that NOx levels had exceeded the limit, triggering the CEL/BlueTEC issues in the first place. I'm hoping that the new-new firmware update will be the solution.

We just drove back from Miami to Louisville, and in the last 1000+ miles or so, it seems to be working well again.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:47 AM

S213
Originally Posted by bytemaster0

The repair order did indeed show the procedure for the newest firmware update for the CDI module and recalibration. It mentioned that NOx levels had exceeded the limit, triggering the CEL/BlueTEC issues in the first place. I'm hoping that the new-new firmware update will be the solution.
That is strange, my dealer checked new SW two weeks ago and did not find any new SW versions.

Do you have this new service procedure number what you were referring to (original/first one was LI49.10-P-058243)?

Last edited by ak_ku; 07-08-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:14 PM

GLK250
Interesting Finding:"Devil in the details" continued

That is strange, my dealer checked new SW two weeks ago and did not find any new SW versions.

Do you have this new service procedure number what you were referring to (original/first one was LI49.10-P-058243)?
In Pennsylvania , my 2014 MB GLK 250BT is exempt from emissions.Late model diesels with DEF .A yearly safety inspection is required tires,lights,horn,etc .
Yet at issue in your statement is that the vehicle produces an error code & the assumption would be if not corrected after certain time(Start Attempts) the software would not allow a start similar when the DEF is empty.As stated in the manual...technology is the"Devil in the Details"Self Correction???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning