Service bulletin issues!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK250BT
M-Brace

Originally Posted by bop11
I would suspect that M-Brace uses the cellular phone system, although I don't know which one. There are several areas that I drive through where I lose cell coverage. Not desolate places either. For example there is a stretch on the NY Thruway between the tolls and the intersection with 287 that I lose AT&T on my IPhone 5. Now if I had M-Brace, and if it uses AT&T and I had an accident in that stretch of road, could I sue because M-Brace could not call for help? Dose a message pop up saying my M-Brace is not active during that stretch of road?
I will bet there is some form of liability disclaimer in the contract relieving MB from liability even without the message popping up.
Many vehicles in the late 90's to early 00's required you to manually clear the navigation warning every start. What a pain. I hope they don't do the same with M-Brace although I don't for-see it in my future.
I think they use satellites for this. It is run by Hughes (same as OnStar), but they don't really want you to know this. I hear it's the same call center, even. MB owners get to pay more for the same services (more or less).
Old 10-25-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
I just got my car back from service and both the service advisors, and I were pleased to see that the warning light came on 1 time, was cleared, and never showed itself again Their theory on it after seeing mine not illuminate, is that if you have had M-brace active at one point and cancelled it, then it would likely remind you every time(which is what happened to one of their customers), but if you never had it active, then it would just warn you once (seems to be the case for me).
I'm not saying you're wrong, but that is a little strange that they would distinguish between those two cases. Either way, the service isn't active and help isn't coming if you have an accident.

Did you or your dealer activate the trial period for mbrace in your car? I wonder if they consider the trial to be "having had mbrace active at one point."

Originally Posted by bop11
I would suspect that M-Brace uses the cellular phone system, although I don't know which one.
It operates on the Verizon network, which is the most comprehensive coast to coast, although there are still areas without coverage. If you read any of the mbrace information or the contract, it states that services are not available in areas without cellular reception.

I'm looking at a GLK brochure right now and endnote number 9 reads in part:

"All Mercedes-Benz mbrace services operate only where cellular and Global Positioning System satellite signals are available, which are provided by third parties and not within the control of Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.... Some services may be limited or restricted in some areas...."

Now if I had M-Brace, and if it uses AT&T and I had an accident in that stretch of road, could I sue because M-Brace could not call for help?
You could try but you would not win that one. Mercedes-Benz has no responsibility, control, or liability for the availability or unavailability of cellular towers. If you have an accident in a dead zone, there is absolutely nothing that Mercedes-Benz COULD have done to help you. This is different from having an accident in an area with reception and the car knowing that you had an accident but not calling for help. In that case, Mercedes-Benz COULD have programmed the car to call anyway but they CHOSE not to, and that could potentially be actionable.

Dose a message pop up saying my M-Brace is not active during that stretch of road?
There is no message for that.

I will bet there is some form of liability disclaimer in the contract relieving MB from liability even without the message popping up.
There is verbiage in the contract regarding areas without cellular reception. If you have signed or otherwise agreed to that contract then you accepted those terms.

That's not the same as disclaiming liability for the service not being active. If the service isn't active, it's because you either didn't agree to the contract or you did at one time but then canceled the service, and guess what also ended with the cancelation. The contract. So someone without active service is not bound by the contract and any disclaimers in said contract are worthless. In short, you could still sue for inactive service.

Originally Posted by mike-nc
I think they use satellites for this. It is run by Hughes (same as OnStar)
Yes, mbrace is provided by Hughes and some aspects of the service use satellites. Sending addresses to your car or sending a remote lock/unlock command to your car, to give just two examples, use the satellites. When you initiate an mbrace call and speak to someone or use the automated system, or when the car automatically summons help in an accident, it places a standard telephone call via ordinary cellular service on the Verizon network. It does not use satellite phone service; that would be prohibitively expensive.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350
Redline, Did they perform the Service Bulletin I told you about? Is the rattle still there upon startup?