GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

iPhone/smartphone mounting solutions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GLK350
iPhone/smartphone mounting solutions?

I usually go through proclip for mounting solutions, but don't like what they have available for the GLK. Preferably, I like something on the console, just to the left, so at a stop light I can easily access the phone. Thinking of doing a cupholder solution, but this of course decreases cupholder capacity by 50%. What's everyone doing in this respect?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 SL400
Originally Posted by mikedr
I usually go through proclip for mounting solutions, but don't like what they have available for the GLK. Preferably, I like something on the console, just to the left, so at a stop light I can easily access the phone. Thinking of doing a cupholder solution, but this of course decreases cupholder capacity by 50%. What's everyone doing in this respect?
Here's what I did to mount my Garmin GPS; it should work fine with your phone. Remove the little rubber mat in the ashtray/lighter compartment under the tambour door in the center console. You will see the bolt that secures the plastic insert. Remove the bolt, and you can replace it with a RAM 6mm thread ball mount, using a 6mm x 30mm stud; I cut the head off a bolt, and that works fine. Shim the ball with washers or nuts, you can see why when you see that the threaded insert is recessed. Then, buy a suitable arm that clamps around the ball, and get the phone adapter that fastens to the upper end of the arm, and you have an adjustable mount. When you remove the arm(s), the rolling cover closes normally. I recommend GPScity; they have lots of components, and have an excellent customer service department. The ball mount is part number RAM-B-273-M6U, and there are lots of arms of varying length, so you should be able to find a good solution. Take a while to browse their website and get comfortable with how these RAM mounts work; they are very sturdy and not unreasonably priced.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GLK350
This is absolutely great information -- thanks so much!! I'm definitely going to be doing this.