Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 PM
pmt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350 4Matic
Unhappy The dreaded transmission whine

Lurker here.

I've noticed a quiet "whining" noise for a couple of months in my Wife's 2010 GLK 350 4Matic and thought nothing of it. Well, I drove it on the highway today for the first time in a while and the whining noise has gotten quite loud.

The noise doesn't start until about 40km/h, gets louder the faster you go, and it is dependent on the speed (not engine.) Shifting into neutral does not stop or change the noise and it sounds almost like an alternator whine.

Searching through some of the threads here, it sounds like the transfer case is toast, and this requires a brand new transmission. I am surprised at the number of people reporting this issue.

My warranty expired earlier this year, and it only has 75,000kms. I am not the original owner -- I bought it last year and it had about 70,000km on it (don't drive it that much), no extended warranty or anything.

So, just a couple of questions:
  • Has anyone had any luck getting this covered just out of warranty (I'm in Canada)
  • What happens if I don't fix it? Since the transmission needs to be replaced anyway, what is the downside of living with the noise? Any sort of catastrophic failure?
  • Should I dish out for the diagnostic fee at the MB dealer and see what they say?

What do you think I should do? Am I completely screwed here? Any advice is appreciated...

Thanks

Last edited by pmt; 11-13-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 11-13-2013, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250 BT
I would suggest getting to the dealer ASAP. The longer you wait the farther you are out of warranty. Maybe MB Canada has a record of issues or problems with your particular vehicle. Ask about any extended warranty on the tranny. If the dealership is any good they will be up front with you about any hidden warranty. Maybe they will even cover part of the cost if MB doesn't. They should be able to answer your questions better than most people on this forum.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:07 PM
pmt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Gt. Dane
I would suggest getting to the dealer ASAP. The longer you wait the farther you are out of warranty.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. This morning I went ahead and booked an appointment for next week (the earliest available.)

Haven't been too impressed with this dealer but we'll see what happens.