GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK Block heater connection...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 glk 250 bluetech
I was told its a Block Heater by the dealer at the time of delivery Inspection.As I had specifically asked that question at the time or ordering...considering tempratures dip down to minus 35 in Winter.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
I picked up my block heater cable today. The part number is A2015403134. It doesn't look same as either of the other two posted above. In fact, it is a generic cord as used on early 90s MBs. (WRONG CABLE!!) New one on order.

Service people at dealer didn't seem to know where it connected. I am sure mechanics would, but I don't think I want them to do it!

Anyone followed the cable back to where it attaches on a GLK250?

ADDED: I went out and had a look. From the pics posted above, it looks like it must connect on the passenger side. But looking and feeling around from above, I couldn't find anything. To get at it from underneath will mean removing the splash panels under the engine.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 GLK Block heater connection...-img_2046.jpg  

Last edited by 107123210; 12-10-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:48 AM

GLK250 2014
I located the "block" heater. It is not in the block at all. It is exactly as per the epc pictures I posted earlier. A coolant hose in-line heater.

It is located on the passenger side down low on the u-shaped radiator hose.

I suspect that the cable dealer sold me is wrong (CONFIRMED!) It doesn't look like the right diameter. But it is very difficult to get at the heater to install the cable or even measure the thread diameter. The connector also seems to be pointing at another hose making installation impossible without rotating the heater element.

It may be easier to access if the intake air duct that runs across the front above the radiator was removed. But I am loath to remove that duct without knowing how those plastic clips should be removed.

Last edited by 107123210; 12-10-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fj cruiser 2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by 107123210
I located the "block" heater. It is not in the block at all. It is exactly as per the epc pictures I posted earlier. A coolant hose in-line heater.

It is located on the passenger side down low on the u-shaped radiator hose.

I suspect that the cable dealer sold me is wrong (CONFIRMED!) It doesn't look like the right diameter. But it is very difficult to get at the heater to install the cable or even measure the thread diameter. The connector also seems to be pointing at another hose making installation impossible without rotating the heater element.

It may be easier to access if the intake air duct that runs across the front above the radiator was removed. But I am loath to remove that duct without knowing how those plastic clips should be removed.

I had to go down and take a look at mine and yes that is the same one as I have installed and is also in the same position... Now I know where it is also...
Old 12-16-2013, 04:34 PM

GLK250 2014
In a goodwill gesture, my dealer installed the proper heater cable today. It is exactly same as CWDawson's and I had them install it in same place. If you want to self install, you need to remove the air intake duct that runs across front just behind radiator.

The MB part number is BQ 6 02 0611. There are two parts to the cable. An engine bay cord that runs from the in-line rad hose heater element to a socket that can be mounted in several ways. The other cable is the outdoor one and fits into the socket and has regular 3pin plug on other end. It is a bargain at C$55.70!

The cable kit is actually from a company called DEFA and they call it a MiniPlug.
www.defa.com.

Like this except both cables are black and there is a warning label affixed to the outdoor cable:

Last edited by 107123210; 12-16-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fj cruiser 2014 GLK250
In a goodwill gesture, my dealer installed the proper heater cable today. It is exactly same as CWDawson's and I had them install it in same place. If you want to self install, you need to remove the air intake duct that runs across front just behind radiator.

The MB part number is BQ 6 02 0611. There are two parts to the cable. An engine bay cord that runs from the in-line rad hose heater element to a socket that can be mounted in several ways. The other cable is the outdoor one and fits into the socket and has regular 3pin plug on other end. It is a bargain at C$55.70!

The cable kit is actually from a company called DEFA and they call it a MiniPlug.
www.defa.com.

Like this except both cables are black and there is a warning label affixed to the outdoor cable:

Other than the colour this is exactly what we have in our car.... and it works great... and of course ours is the north american plug connection...
Old 09-16-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 GLK250
Sorry to re-hash an old thread, but I ordered a block heater cord from the dealer (surprisingly cheap - 60ish bucks), but I'd like to know where to connect it.

Anyone have information about this?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:55 PM

GLK250 2014
Hugo - Everything should be right in this thread.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:19 AM

2014 GLK250
You are right; for some reason, I had perused this thread, but the picture in post 28 wasn't loading. This should work!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:17 PM

2014 GLK250
For those interested, the DEFA MiniPlug's internal p/n is 460980, if you don't want to order it through the dealer. It is further called «NAM Daimler set», which I assume stands for North American Market.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Gallant (12-28-2021)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:05 AM

2014 GLK250
Well, I installed my block heater yesterday.

I routed the connector under the front valence on the pass. side, as there was a hole where it fit snugly.

The only problem I had is that the heater connection is very close to the fan blades, and despite trying to secure the cord away from it, it move a bit, got hit by the fan, and disconnected.

I had to remove the plastic undertray again and re-route the cord behind some coolant lines, so now it can't get caught in the fan blades.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:13 PM

2013 GLK250
My dealer wanted an hour and a half labour to install the cord. At $150 an hour, I think it's ludicrous. Is hooking up the block heater cord an easy DIY?
Old 12-26-2016, 01:48 PM

2014 GLK250
It is a very easy DIY job.

If the dealer charges that much time, it's either because they are ripping you off OR they actually spend the extra time to route it so that it exits below the headlight on the front of the bumper itself.

In my case, I routed it under the bumper in an existing hole, and honestly, including removing the undertray on my back in my driveway at night, it's like a 30-45 mins job tops.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:41 PM

Mercedes GLK
Hey guys!
Defa is a Norweigan company. Sells a lot in Sweden where Im located. We even have a swedish company Calix who manufact car heating products.
Are you in the Us and Canada only using blockheater and not heating element for the coupe? Here in the nordic countries most of the users of blockheater even have heater for the inside connected to the same system. You add a cablesplit, cable and a outlet inside the car.

Br Anders
Old 12-31-2016, 10:31 AM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by mercakrull
Hey guys!
Defa is a Norweigan company. Sells a lot in Sweden where Im located. We even have a swedish company Calix who manufact car heating products.
Are you in the Us and Canada only using blockheater and not heating element for the coupe? Here in the nordic countries most of the users of blockheater even have heater for the inside connected to the same system. You add a cablesplit, cable and a outlet inside the car.

Br Anders
We are in Canada and have not ever used the coolant heater (Its not really a blockheater ) The car starts amazing well even in cold weather(compared with our old MB diesel!) Most of time ours is in garage, so inside doesn't get too cold and soon warms up once engine is running.

When it gets really cold, we head South (Here, we are called Snowbirds )

Happy New Year!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:27 AM

2014 GLK250
Most of time ours is in garage, so inside doesn't get too cold and soon warms up once engine is running.
Well there you go. Inside a garage, there rarely is a problem.

My recent issue was that the diesel gelled/froze and my battery was on its way out, so even though the engine started amazingly well, once whatever fuel was in the engine bay was burned out, the fuel pump didn't get enough power to push the gelled fuel all the way to the engine, and it died on me.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:58 AM

2014 GLK 250 BT
Trying to retrofit an engine heater assembly

I had a look at epc and have posted the part number for BH below. Not sure if you would need different hose, but those are below too.

To be accurate, this is not a block heater. It is an in-line coolant heater. But it should do a good job.

I have the cord for the block heater on order, but I could not find it on EPC. Eventually I should know the part number!
Howdy,
From your 2013 posts regarding the engine heater, including the references to part numbers in the epc, I assume your are somewhere in Canada. Back in the summer of 2013 when I ordered my US version 250, my request for the engine heater got deleted. I've been engaged in a so far fruitless effort to buy the heater, radiator hoses and electrical cords. The US dealers claim the parts don't exist in their inventory. Can you connect me with a Canadian dealer who would be able/willing to sell me the necessary parts?
Thanks,
Mike Duncan
Old 12-29-2017, 09:35 AM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by MikeDuncan
Howdy,
From your 2013 posts regarding the engine heater, including the references to part numbers in the epc, I assume your are somewhere in Canada. Back in the summer of 2013 when I ordered my US version 250, my request for the engine heater got deleted. I've been engaged in a so far fruitless effort to buy the heater, radiator hoses and electrical cords. The US dealers claim the parts don't exist in their inventory. Can you connect me with a Canadian dealer who would be able/willing to sell me the necessary parts?
Thanks,
Mike Duncan
Not sure if Canadian dealers will ship to USA. I know that US dealers won't ship to us. But you could try calling a few of them and explain your situation? https://www.mercedes-benz.ca/en/dealers.

However, it looks like US on-line dealers have the parts. For example: https://www.oediscountparts.com/parts/index.cfm?searchText=2762000796&make=Mercedes-Benz&action=oePartSearch&siteid=215242 (I bought my roofrack and handle liners from them).

Failing that try these guys: http://exoparts.com/mercedes-benz-parts-list-2/ (call them - they can supply almost any OE Mercedes part at a substantial discount.

By the way, our GLK250 had been sitting outside in -20 to -26C weather for a few days and it started right up. Didn't even see the glowplug symbol. I have never used my coolant heater!

Pictures in my old posts didn't display for me. These are the links to Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/72u098ms03...HOSES.jpg?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dx7ch1c309...EATER.jpg?dl=1

Presumably cable part number is in one of the earlier posts.

Good Luck

GLK Heater Hoses

Last edited by 107123210; 12-29-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:58 AM

2014 GLK 250 BT
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply. Strangely enough, I had queried OE Discount and they had said "nope, no parts like that". I guess that I had failed to use the right "magic" words. The preheater comes up nicely as you demonstrated, the two coolant hoses don't. I'll have to dig a while in exoparts to see if they have the coolant hoses.

It got down to 12 F here last night which is unusually cold for the Washington, DC area. My primary interest in the preheater stems from going to the higher elevations in West Virginia where there is a Canadian micro-climate (Cannan Valley, Davis, WV) for skiing, plus the northeast US. I'm planning for the GLK to be my "20 year" car and I want to make sure that obscure features like the preheater are configured before all the parts disappear out of the MB inventory. It's encouraging that you haven't needed to use the preheater yet. When I lived in Michigan, I found that having a preheater was very useful on my gasoline powered truck.

Best regards,
Mike
Old 12-29-2017, 01:22 PM

GLK250 2014
Hopefully Exo can help. There are European on-line parts sellers. A google search for the part number plus Mercedes brings them up. I have bought some parts for my old cars from euro sites.

The one below explains the code 460 from EPC. Seems those hoses and the heater are Canadian accessories.

http://mb-teilekatalog.info/view_Sub...=50&subgrp=165

This is another euro source: http://www.originparts.de/index.php?...am=A2045018382

Good Luck searching!

If you have no luck, one of us might be able to buy the parts for you. Unfortunately, I am just getting ready to head South!
MikeDuncan (12-29-2017)
Old 01-30-2018, 11:18 AM

2014 GLK 250 BT
Continuing progress,,

Using Exoparts, I was able to purchase the DEFA preheater components to retrofit an engine preheater to my US Spec GLK 250. Note that all these parts are from Mercedes Benz in Canada; with the exception of the preheater itself, none of the part numbers are listed in the US epc. As I reviewed the layout of the parts, I realized that there is one more major difference and that is the hose junction that comes off the radiator hose. I "think" that it may go back to the radiator expansion chamber. Would someone in Canada please take a look under the hood and confirm where that hose actually goes? I would greatly appreciate knowing before I start tearing things apart. Regards, Mike

DEFA Cord Set

DEFA Cord set Contents

DEFA preheater

Layout of the right radiator hose and preheater.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:00 AM

Wakening up this thread for a question, I am considering installing one of these heaters but I wonder if they are really working effectively. The reason is that I have been told that GLKs with start/stopp function has a circulation pump that keeps the water circulating when engine is stopped, and this will stop the water from circulation when car is off. This should then mean that the heat is not effectively transferred to the block.

What's your experience with this heater, does it work well, big difference, have you felt the engine block to see if it's evenly warm?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2018, 12:58 PM

2014 GLK 250 BT
Reawakening,,,

Originally Posted by djsweden
Wakening up this thread for a question, I am considering installing one of these heaters but I wonder if they are really working effectively. The reason is that I have been told that GLKs with start/stop function has a circulation pump that keeps the water circulating when engine is stopped, and this will stop the water from circulation when car is off. This should then mean that the heat is not effectively transferred to the block.

What's your experience with this heater, does it work well, big difference, have you felt the engine block to see if it's evenly warm?

Thanks
Howdy,
That is an interesting question, and maybe it will help shed some light. In my last post, the last picture shows an undocumented hose connection coming off the thermoplastic connector. I have worked with several folks, including Exoparts, trying to find out what that hose connection is used for and where the hose goes. I asked the Canadian GLK 250 owners here on the board if they would please go look under their hoods and trace that hose from the thermoplastic connector to the other end. To date, no one has responded. Sigh! If you are in the US, I can give you the parts list for all the other components and recommend that you buy them from Exoparts in Canada. However, until we can solve the "missing parts" issue, it may all be mute.

Your question "does the heater work?"; yes it works very well and will evenly heat the engine where ever the coolant is located. Reports that I have read seem to indicate that in less than arctic conditions, it doesn't need to run all night long.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 11-30-2018, 09:05 PM

GLK250 2014
Howdy,
I asked the Canadian GLK 250 owners here on the board if they would please go look under their hoods and trace that hose from the thermoplastic connector to the other end. To date, no one has responded. Sigh!
I would have done that, but your request was kind of lost among those pictures and other stuff.

Traded my GLK this week, so can't check it now!
MikeDuncan (11-30-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 05:28 AM

Howdy,
That is an interesting question, and maybe it will help shed some light. In my last post, the last picture shows an undocumented hose connection coming off the thermoplastic connector. I have worked with several folks, including Exoparts, trying to find out what that hose connection is used for and where the hose goes. I asked the Canadian GLK 250 owners here on the board if they would please go look under their hoods and trace that hose from the thermoplastic connector to the other end. To date, no one has responded. Sigh! If you are in the US, I can give you the parts list for all the other components and recommend that you buy them from Exoparts in Canada. However, until we can solve the "missing parts" issue, it may all be mute.

Your question "does the heater work?"; yes it works very well and will evenly heat the engine where ever the coolant is located. Reports that I have read seem to indicate that in less than arctic conditions, it doesn't need to run all night long.
Cheers,
Mike

Thanks, good to hear that it's working.

I realize that the dominant model over here, including mine, is the 220d, and maybe you all have petrol engines. Could anyone confirm that they have good experiences also from the 220 diesel engine, with start/stop feature?

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 GLK Block heater connection...