GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2013 GLK Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
2013 GLK Impressions

I bought a CPO 2013 GLK about a month ago, and thought I would leave my impressions thus far to assist others who are thinking about purchasing a Mercedes-Benz for the first time.

I had been driving a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited since I bought it new in 2005, and I loved that car. However, I was getting tired of the manual transmission, lack of cargo space, and thought now was a good time to upgrade. I decided on the GLK after spending hours and hours reading reviews of this model, the X3, Ford Explorer, and a couple other models.

I ended up buying this one because it's hard to find a 4MATIC in Florida, much less a newer model (bought not "new," because I decided after the Subaru I wasn't interested in a 20% depreciation hit in the first year). I needed to have the 203 for the updated interior and increased HP. It had 22,000 miles and the Premium 1 package, illuminated rails, and moonroof, and I got it for just under $36k.

I thought I would list the things I don't like about this car first.

1. Wind noise - much louder than I expected. I know I didn't buy a cadillac, but I was hoping for a quieter drive at highway speeds. And the moonroof? When it's open, it's LOUD. My Subaru's moonroof was much quieter for some reason. I was in my girlfriend's MINI today, and there is much less wind noise in her car when the moonroof is open than my GLK.

2. Engine braking - I hate this. Especially when in Sport mode, it makes the braking feel very jerky. I am trying to get used to it and am not convinced that this is normal. I have driven automatics with much lower price tags and they didn't have this issue when braking.

3. Windshield wipers - they are new but drag across the windshield when set to automatic mode. They operate when there is barely any moisture on the windshield and drag/chatter on the way back.

4. Remote keyfob - you have to be in line of site to the driver side door to be able to roll up/down the windows. My girlfriend's MINI allows this from 50 feet away, regardless of where you are.

5. Side mirrors cannot be rotated in electronically.

6. Speakers stink. I am upgrading soon.

7. Transmission - almost forgot about this. Sometimes when I step on the gas, it takes a full two seconds before it down shifts into a low gear so I can accelerate quickly. Even in Sport mode. I miss the instant power from my 2.5 turbo in the Subaru. Granted, it was a manual transmission so I had greater control over the gearing, but still...I expected quicker shifting from this car.

8. Vents - they CLICK like crazy when heating up or cooling down. The dealership listened and agreed that it is not normal (they think they are expanding and contracting), so they will be replacing the vents under warranty. I looked around for others in this forum who have experienced this clicking sound when running AC and didn't find anything.

Now, I like a lot about this car - the refinement, the generally smooth shifting, the electric steering, the BEAUTY. It is very sharp, even with the somewhat dull gray paint I have (I really wanted blue, but again, can't be too choosy when looking for this car in Florida). I think it will grow on me in time, and I have yet to see how well the 4MATIC works in snow or off paved road. I am probably moving to Colorado next year and bought this car with that in mind. I want to add xenon lights, a hitch, remote start, and definitely plan to upgrade the speakers and throw in a compact subwoofer. I'm going to spend some time in this forum and learn about things I can do on my own. The Subaru forums were loaded with DYI project ideas, and I am hoping to find some of that here.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
Welcome to the forum. Driving our first MB too & enjoying the experience. 2013 models certainly have nice upgrades. The wind noise issue might be alleviated if you lubricate the door seals. I like the Wurth product for this. You will find that accessories from MB are expensive, virtually best to get the car with the goodies wherever it is located. There is a lot of good information here to guide you on your quests, at least on earlier years. Good luck & enjoy!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Rascally Wabbit
Welcome to the forum. Driving our first MB too & enjoying the experience. 2013 models certainly have nice upgrades. The wind noise issue might be alleviated if you lubricate the door seals. I like the Wurth product for this. You will find that accessories from MB are expensive, virtually best to get the car with the goodies wherever it is located. There is a lot of good information here to guide you on your quests, at least on earlier years. Good luck & enjoy!
Thanks for commenting. I was thinking the wind noise was more related to the steep angle of the windshield. I have read about complaints of doors squeaking and needing lubrication, but I don't think I have that issue. I have spent the last hour searching for information on xenon conversion. I cant figure out if my headlamp housing will work for the xenon bulbs. I read about people making the switch from what I assume to be the same lamps I have with success, but when I look at their photos, the housing looks different than mine.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
I have no wind noise in our early build 2010. Could you be mistaking tyre noise? What tyre does yours have? Continental & Pirelli OEM are very quiet from my experience. Do check that all windows are up tight & the sunroof is too. It will be expensive to upgrade to bi-xenon. Might recommend you look at Candlepower Inc. there is an upgrade Osram bulb that will help as an alternative.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I too am frustrated by wind noise in my '10 GLK 4Matic. I have played with taping up the sun roof thinking it might be there. Nope. I made foam fairings for the roof rack thinking it might be there. Ditto - nope.
The last thing I tried was taping down the rubber molding along the top of the windshield. There might be something there. It seems loose and at one point even flapped up and down a bit making those kinds of sounds. If this edge lifts up even a bit - especially the forward edge, it can add a lot of wind noise. I'm going to have it professionally cemented down with urethane adhesive (per the dealer - go to a glass shop) and see if this doesn't cure it. I suspect, like sethro1980 that it might be the upright rake to the glass or the deep side channels. Now there's something unfixable.

Another bit of weird errata: I see a small pool of milky white something in the windshield lower corners. It's liquid because it squishes when I push down these corners. I don't know what it is. Mold? but liquid? Anyone else?
Old 12-09-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Is the liquid in the glass? If so, sounds like the windshield is DE-laminating. If that is the case the plastic in the safety glass might not have bonded correctly and is no longer SAFETY glass. Your insurance should cover replacement of a broken windshield.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
Originally Posted by bop11
Is the liquid in the glass? If so, sounds like the windshield is DE-laminating. If that is the case the plastic in the safety glass might not have bonded correctly and is no longer SAFETY glass. Your insurance should cover replacement of a broken windshield.
Well, the milky puddles are in the lowest corners and seem to move (with small bubbles no less) when you push on the glass. I was assuming (yes, I know) that it was under the glass and moisture with, maybe, mold or accumulated skunge of some kind. Didn't think I had a de-lam issue. Maybe this needs to be asked at the glass shop too. Anyone else with this?