MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   2014 GLK350 Fog lights wired wrong? (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/525482-2014-glk350-fog-lights-wired-wrong.html)

BenS 12-28-2013 05:44 PM

2014 GLK350 Fog lights wired wrong?

Hi All. I just bought a 2014 GLK350 earlier this week and notice that the fog lights are only on when the fog light icon on the dash is NOT lit.

When I press the fog light button, the fog light icon illuminates orange, but the fog lights are off. Pressing it again makes the icon disappear, then they're actually on. Is this backwards?

cindyclk 12-29-2013 09:21 AM

sounds screwed up...check pg 114 of your manual

Frst2findu 12-29-2013 09:32 AM

The Germans engineered this in reverse for a reason. The fog light button illuminates the drivers side rear LED fog light (brake light) to protect the rear of your car from collision in foggy situations. So if you go turn it on, you'll see the rear light illuminate brightly. It'll appear that you're driving around with a wiring problem to all the US drivers. That being said, oddly enough it shuts off the front fog lights when depressed. I don't understand the thinking here but it's done that way on purpose. So, your GLK is functioning normally... No need to worry.

Ex-Military 01-21-2014 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Frst2findu (Post 5888998)
The Germans engineered this in reverse for a reason. The fog light button illuminates the drivers side rear LED fog light (brake light) to protect the rear of your car from collision in foggy situations. So if you go turn it on, you'll see the rear light illuminate brightly. It'll appear that you're driving around with a wiring problem to all the US drivers. That being said, oddly enough it shuts off the front fog lights when depressed. I don't understand the thinking here but it's done that way on purpose. So, your GLK is functioning normally... No need to worry.

Those aren't fog light they are the daytime running lights. It shuts off those because they obscure the view when it's foggy. It was super foggy yesterday in Stuttgart.

gwernerjr 01-29-2014 10:39 AM

Rear fog only; All LED drl models have no front fogs, ie all new glks

I thought the LED drl were on at a low intensity at night? Are they never on at night or just turned off when the rear fog is activated?

fcch 01-30-2014 08:11 AM

I haven't tested the DRL's to see what they do when the rear fog light is on, but they will turn off if you turn on your light manually. They don't turn off when the HID's turn on automatically, so I find it weird they shut off when we use manual.

payam81 01-31-2014 04:20 PM

With Xenon package (and inherently the ILS) the front lights are programmed to act like fog lights when you turn on the rear-fog with the dash switch:

Enhanced fog lamps:

The enhanced fog lamps are designed to improve driver orientation when visibility is poor. This new lighting function is activated at speeds below 70 km/h, as soon as the rear fog lamp is switched on. The variable headlamp technology makes it possible to pivot the bi-xenon headlamp on the driver's side outwards by eight degrees, while lowering its beam of light at the same time. This illuminates the inner half of the road more brightly and reduces the degree of backglare caused by light reflected back by the fog. The enhanced fog lamps remain switched on up to a speed of 100 km/h.
Those with the basic halogens are SOL I guess as they lost the fogs when the LED DRLs were instituted.