GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK350 Fog lights wired wrong?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK350 4Matic
2014 GLK350 Fog lights wired wrong?

Hi All. I just bought a 2014 GLK350 earlier this week and notice that the fog lights are only on when the fog light icon on the dash is NOT lit.

When I press the fog light button, the fog light icon illuminates orange, but the fog lights are off. Pressing it again makes the icon disappear, then they're actually on. Is this backwards?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:21 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
sounds screwed up...check pg 114 of your manual
Old 12-29-2013, 09:32 AM

2014 - GLK350 - 4Matic - Sport Pkg - Obsidian Blk
The Germans engineered this in reverse for a reason. The fog light button illuminates the drivers side rear LED fog light (brake light) to protect the rear of your car from collision in foggy situations. So if you go turn it on, you'll see the rear light illuminate brightly. It'll appear that you're driving around with a wiring problem to all the US drivers. That being said, oddly enough it shuts off the front fog lights when depressed. I don't understand the thinking here but it's done that way on purpose. So, your GLK is functioning normally... No need to worry.

Last edited by Frst2findu; 12-29-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rental car
Originally Posted by Frst2findu
The Germans engineered this in reverse for a reason. The fog light button illuminates the drivers side rear LED fog light (brake light) to protect the rear of your car from collision in foggy situations. So if you go turn it on, you'll see the rear light illuminate brightly. It'll appear that you're driving around with a wiring problem to all the US drivers. That being said, oddly enough it shuts off the front fog lights when depressed. I don't understand the thinking here but it's done that way on purpose. So, your GLK is functioning normally... No need to worry.
Those aren't fog light they are the daytime running lights. It shuts off those because they obscure the view when it's foggy. It was super foggy yesterday in Stuttgart.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:39 AM

GL
Rear fog only; All LED drl models have no front fogs, ie all new glks

I thought the LED drl were on at a low intensity at night? Are they never on at night or just turned off when the rear fog is activated?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK 350 2013
I haven't tested the DRL's to see what they do when the rear fog light is on, but they will turn off if you turn on your light manually. They don't turn off when the HID's turn on automatically, so I find it weird they shut off when we use manual.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:20 PM

09 E350 W4M
With Xenon package (and inherently the ILS) the front lights are programmed to act like fog lights when you turn on the rear-fog with the dash switch:

Enhanced fog lamps:

The enhanced fog lamps are designed to improve driver orientation when visibility is poor. This new lighting function is activated at speeds below 70 km/h, as soon as the rear fog lamp is switched on. The variable headlamp technology makes it possible to pivot the bi-xenon headlamp on the driver's side outwards by eight degrees, while lowering its beam of light at the same time. This illuminates the inner half of the road more brightly and reduces the degree of backglare caused by light reflected back by the fog. The enhanced fog lamps remain switched on up to a speed of 100 km/h.
Those with the basic halogens are SOL I guess as they lost the fogs when the LED DRLs were instituted.