GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Using Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK 350
Using Paddle Shifters

Can anyone describe or provide a link for instructions in the use of the paddle shifters? Cannot figure out their purpose on the GLK. Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK
Google image search them. See how they become "common" in sem-sports car.

They're just like having a normal stick, but closer to your wheel. You know why they install tiptronic transmission (and how they give you partial control on the automatic gear).

The paddles are just easier to manipulate without letting go of the wheel.

Its more of a personal issue really. Many drivers either use them or refrain from using them depending on performance or convenience. Since I believe neither of us is a racing driver (and neither of us drive a racing viechle) I guess its not that big of a difference.

Sometimes when I'm driving on a highway I like to use them paddles to get more power of the engine.. but they're not different from +/- commands in a tiptronic automatic transmission.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:53 PM

GLK350, G55, AMG GTS, C63 507
Originally Posted by advocator
They're just like having a normal stick, but closer to your wheel.
This explains it in short. It isn't a lot of fun in the GLK since its not a sports car, but using paddle shifters makes you control changing gears.

This shows a little of how they use it.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK
Nice vid.. and good explanation..

I also read in a post around here about the 3secpull method in which you can drop gears instead of clicking on the left paddle 2-3 times (Depending on which high gear you're at and to which gear you're trying to reach) just holding it for 2-3 seconds. It drops immidiately to the lowest gear possible.

IF you're in D7 and you're going about 60km/h, holding the left paddle for 2-3 seconds will bring the car to gear 3 (maybe gear 2).

Holding the right one for 3 seconds will bring you back from M (manual mode) to the last automatic mode you were at (either S or E)
Old 02-05-2014, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Correct - on the "3-sec-pull-hold" - left - the tranny will 1st shift down 1 gear - then 2 sec later jump" down from that gear to the "power gear" for that speed - and by "jump" meaning if it needs to go down additional 2 gears - it will move to that lower gear without going thru the intervening gear.

"Right-3-sec-pull-hold" tranny in 1 sec will move up one gear, in additional 2 sec tranny will switch to auto and "jump" up to highest gear for that speed.

Sounds harder/longer to to actually do it - great to have in the driving cards - especiially useful for deceleration with added braking power from the engine in that lower/power gear.

Keep the beat !
Old 02-14-2014, 12:51 AM

GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Yips - works nicely on my '014 GLK250BT....however its more FUN in the E63-s version that my other half drives. She even learned it and got ONE TICKET for jumping in front of the City BUSS and stopping on a DIM! Cop is next Lane ( who she couldn't see) walked over and handed her a 'dangerous driving ' ticket!....thus the 'status' in sig below!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:45 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Which is going soon? the E63 or the lady driver?