Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > GLK-Class (X204)
Sensor problems - Blind Spot assist and others >

Sensor problems - Blind Spot assist and others

Notices
GLK-Class (X204) Discuss the upcoming GLK-Class. Models include GLK 350.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk250

I have a 2014 GLK250 and my Blind Spot assist is no longer working (getting message on startup). Sometimes, it will turn on, and other times it won't. I brought it to the dealer, ran tests, and say that two sensors in the bumper gave signs that they needed replacement. I have no problem with sensors for parking, lane assist, proximity (front and back), and I have some doubts about the diagnosis. Does anyone know where the sensors are for the Blind Spot Assist?

I also have had a problem with the sensor for the windshield washer fluid. After I left the dealer, the light came on, but they had just filled it. Happened again a few days later.

Should I worry about the electronics starting to go nuts after only 3500 miles?

Happy otherwise.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
1995 E300 Diesel, 2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2015 E250 BlueTEC 4MATIC, 2019 E300 4MATIC
Parking assist/proximity uses ultrasonic sensors, the visible ones on the bumper (6 in front, 4 in rear.) Lane keeping assist uses a camera, mounted in your windshield. Distronic Plus and Blind Spot Assist use radar sensors. In the case of Distronic Plus, three radars in the front (one behind the star emblem, two in the bumper). For Blind Spot Assist, there are two radar units in the rear bumper. Your other assist functions will work fine if your Blind Spot Assist radars are acting up, so the diagnosis may actually be correct.

As for wiper fluid top-off warning, I had this happen on my car as well. Tank replaced under warranty, works perfectly now.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:14 PM

glk250
Sensors on backorder

Thanks for your explanation. Hopefully that will clear the problem.

The issue now is that the sensors are on backorder without any ETA (4 weeks now). A friend with an ML350 waited over 1 year for back ordered sensors for a similar problem. Seems to me there is a bit of quality control problem, and supply chain isn't that great.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
1995 E300 Diesel, 2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2015 E250 BlueTEC 4MATIC, 2019 E300 4MATIC
That's a very long wait. The sensors, I believe, are made by Continental. Because so many cars are being ordered with at least Blind Spot Assist, it makes sense that supply is short. Still, that's an unusual wait. My dad has had the feature on a number of his cars, in addition to Distronic, or Distronic Plus, and has never had a sensor issue. I also have not had any sensor issues with both Active Blind Spot Assist or Distronic Plus, so far, with nearly 10K miles. So, hopefully, if it is the set of sensors, once replaced, you'll be in good shape.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Was your windshield washer reservoir low or did the sensor just say it was low? MB uses an electronic sensor that requires the washer fluid to be somewhat conductive. After market fluids might not be conductive enough or change with temperature. If the temp goes below 25F on mine, I get the washer needs refill message each time I start it cold. If the vehicle was in the garage and it is above this temp but the air temp is way down, the message appears after a minute or two and I cancel it. If the engine is warm and therefore the fluid is warm the message will not show up. It all depends on the washer fluid you use. Cheap guys like me put up with the little annoyance.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:19 AM

glk250
Funny thing about the reservoir, is that the dealer filled it when they checked the sensor, and the problem occurred a few days later. I hope they didn't use cheap fluid. I will check with them. Nothing different with the temperature or car location. I used quality liquid myself.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:13 AM

glk250
Another electronic annoyance is that the keyless entry key is not always recognized, usually when I have my hands full.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:39 PM

glk250
Just returned from the dealer with some of the problems fixed:

1) The two radar detectors for the Blind Spot Assist in the rear bumper have been replaced and the system is operational
2) The windshield washer fluid has been replaced and I will monitor
3) The keyless entry system has been reset, and will monitor. It seems that M-B is aware of the problem and static maybe the cause. The key goes into a 'sleep state'. I have to press a button to awaken.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:02 AM

glk
Blind Spot Assist BIG problem for Mercedes

My 2013 GLK blind spot assist was an important add-on when I purchased my GLK in Feb. 2013. It worked fine the first Winter but has been faulty most of this past Winter. I brought it in to the Dealership (had to wait almost 2 weeks for an appointment) only to be told the part would have to be ordered and it would take 10 days. it is now week 3 with no replacement sensors to be found. I get an unfolding story every time I call - that there is a HUGE problem with these sensors and MB switched manufacturers and are now ordering them from Germany. apparently they can't make them fast enough to replace all the faulty sensors. this is my first Mercedes and all I can say is I'm missing my Toyota Venza, never one bit of warranty work required and NEVER a wait for service.

Mercedes needs to pick up it's game- I'm one really p***ed-off customer!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:40 AM

GLK
Where do I find BSA sensors?

Need to check the sensors, how do I get to them? Thanks!