LED Tail lights New GLK Facelift Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 120D M-Sport
Question LED Tail lights New GLK Facelift Retrofit

Hi every body,

I'm looking for a DIY or a feed back about the retrofit of the new LED tail lights mounted on the new GLK Facelift.

It looks like the shape of the tail lights are the same, so my question concerns the programation or changing pins cable ???

Does anyone have already done a such modification ?
Old 03-16-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I think I saw a post on this before but basically the CAN Bus looks for a certain resistance from the lights so if you find a kit off a dead new GLK or an aftermarket kit, it won't work unless it's designed to look like the old fashioned resistance wire bulbs with a small circuit included. Without it it will start throwing codes complaining that your tail lights are all hosed up.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
Resistors are cheap at Radioshack, so I wouldn't worry about it throwing warnings every time you start the car. Any mod shop that does audio/video should have the tools and know-how to get you set up. Otherwise search the internet and all the info you need about calculating resistor size vs. original is available. You just need an ohm meter to compare the draw. The info on the stock bulbs is easily available, but usually the parking light portion of the bulb (the dimmer mode) is 5W current draw, and the bright filament (brake) is somewhere around 25-30W. If you're close then it won't throw a warning.