GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Wiper woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Wiper woes

The wipers on my wife's 2014 GLK have functioned poorly since day one. They would carry mud and debris back across the windshield when completing their sweep... so after only 10,000 km I decided to just buy a new set of blades, thinking maybe we just got a bad pair from the factory.

Now, the driver side blade won't even make full contact with the windshield. It's forming a more exaggerated "U" shape, where it's only touching the windshield perhaps 3-4" at each end of the blade. This means that it doesn't fully wipe the driver side, and leaves a big area directly in the driver's sight line.

We have the vehicle going in for other issues on Wednesday and I'll add this to the list, but I'm wondering if there might be something easy I can try at home - it's the type of issue that with melting snow and such where it makes the vehicle a bit unsafe to drive.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250 / Golf TDI
I had the same problem - streaks and gunk. Went through a lot of fluid.

Replaced the OEM wipers with a set of Trico blades and the problem went away, though the weather improved as well.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:06 AM

2014 GLK 250 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by Peef
I had the same problem - streaks and gunk. Went through a lot of fluid.

Replaced the OEM wipers with a set of Trico blades and the problem went away, though the weather improved as well.
I am waiting for PIAA silicon wipers to be available in needed sizes for my GLK. Had them on all previous vehicles and they worked great.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250 BT
Had the same problem and brought it to the dealer's attention when I was in for my first service. They fixed it perfectly - no cost.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:11 AM

FR-S, GLK, M5, 250KM Eclass
After having my wiper motor replaced recently, I had the same issue with drivers side wiper not sweeping clean on the way back down. The dealer just replaced the wiper blade while I had it back for a random check engine light.