GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

paddle shifters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
paddle shifters

Anyone else find it irritating that there is a one-second delay between toggling the paddle shifters and when the transmission actually shifts? It seems like a waste...isn't it supposed to make the driving experience feel sportier? It is a nearly instant shift using the paddles in my girlfriend's MINI.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
It's an SUV, not a race car.

Think off-road utility rather than Nurburgring...
Old 04-11-2014, 02:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
It's an automatic transmission, they're slow. I only use the paddles in our GLK when going down a steep hill, otherwise it's just too frustrating to have any fun with.

I have a real dual-clutch transmission in my GTI and it's far, far different.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by rmfnla
It's an SUV, not a race car.

Think off-road utility rather than Nurburgring...
That's not really a good response. If they don't work adequately, they shouldnt be there. My girlfriend's MINI has an auto tranny and shifts quickly using the paddles. I realize this is a CUV (no way could this vehicle ever be considered an SUV), but it does have a 300HP engine and reasonably stiff suspension, so I don't think it is too much to expect if it has paddle shifters, for them to perform like paddle shifters are supposed to perform.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:54 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Since you joined in 2013, I think the tranny should have learned your driving style by now. However, try resetting as found in many posts. These electronic transmissions are more about EPA than they are about responsiveness. You are not allowed to dump all that unburned stuff in the air anymore. The 4000 pound GLK has to think of more stuff than the 2500 pound mini. If you want response, get a lotus Elise or a 67 Dodge Charger with the auto. Paddles on this type of car a just a gimmick. They get in the way of my hands sometimes as I turn the wheel.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... it is common that owner's have not been informed of the design intention of the MB "paddle system" - which has been the same shifter over ride system used since late '90's on the 5-speed and 6-speed MB trannies.

The design intention is to give you a faster/easier way to access "power gear" for passing or for engine-assisted braking, especially if running in "E" mode which is full 7-speed tranny operation.

This is the "3-second" pull procedure (actually 2 1/2 seconds) - pull/hold left paddle - 1st sec tranny downshifts 1 gear - then in following sec+ tranny will "jump" down multiple remaining gears as necessary (usalkly "jumping" another 2 gears in most situations) to correct power gear for that speed.. faster and smoother than kick down has been my experience and the experience of my customers.

Use that "power gear" to accelerate for passing - you can up shift single successive gear with single 1-sec right-paddle-pull - or use 3-sec right paddle-pull to return to automatic.

Or use that 3-sec right paddle pull to access "power gear" to add engine braking power at that speed - if you continue decelerating you can continue added engine deceleration with 1-sec left paddle pull to downshift additional successive single lower gears as necessary as speed continues to drop - or use 3-sec right paddle pull to return up shift to auto.

With SUV's this is added "menu" to experiment with your personal drive style... and most owner's love it - since it is quicker/smoother than kick-down for acceleration when you want that - and adding/easy engine-brake assist when you want that too..
Old 04-14-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
I think it was easier and quicker to do 3 quick pulls to the left on the consul mounted stick in the pre 2013 models. Up shift with a push to the right, kind of reminds me of the foot select on my old bikes. In the vehicles with the selector on the steering shaft, can you select more than just fwr. and rev. and prk. with the little stick on the right? Can you move gears or do you need to use the paddles?
Old 04-14-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Paddles required.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by sethro1980
That's not really a good response. If they don't work adequately, they shouldnt be there. My girlfriend's MINI has an auto tranny and shifts quickly using the paddles. I realize this is a CUV (no way could this vehicle ever be considered an SUV), but it does have a 300HP engine and reasonably stiff suspension, so I don't think it is too much to expect if it has paddle shifters, for them to perform like paddle shifters are supposed to perform.
As Bill Clinton would say, it all depends on your definition of "adequately"...
Old 04-15-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Originally Posted by rmfnla
As Bill Clinton would say, it all depends on your definition of "adequately"...
Agreed. Even if you had my wife drive my GTI and her GLK back-to-back, she would never be able to tell you the difference in shift time.