GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Car Cover/Extended Storage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Car Cover/Extended Storage

Has anyone purchased a car cover for their GLK yet? Please excuse my lengthy post, but please read and provide your recommendations.

Since leasing a 320i as a daily driver the GLK spends 1-2 months at a time sitting in the garage. Normally, this would not be a problem but I live in an apartment building with rather narrow parking spaces. They are assigned spots and the same minivan parks next to me every day. I took the GLK out about a month ago for a fresh wash and wax and tucked it away neatly in the garage as close to the wall as possible. I am rather particular about keeping the car clean and I would be lying if I said I do not look back and admire the car regularly.

Well today I brought the car out again to take an M sport bumper to the body shop to be painted/installed on the 3 series. I noticed SEVERAL fresh scratches/dings on the front passenger door... I KNOW these dings were not there when I put the car away a month ago. I can't blame my neighbor... Sure, he could be more careful but everyone has swung a door open too forcefully at one time or another. Plus, I think he has children who may be the real culprits. However, I can understand that things like this happen and I do not plan on confronting him about it.

On that note, I would like to do everything I can do keep the car protected while it is in storage! I do plan on keeping the car for a very long time. It's current mileage is only 15k miles and since the lease on my BMW is not up until Jan. 1, 2017 I don't think it is unrealistic to think I will keep the car well past 2020!

So please chime in on any tips on extended storage as well as any experience with car covers! Please note I do have a roof rack, roof basket, and bike holder on my GLK. So a custom fit is not necessary, but quality and ease of maintenance take precedence!

My idea is to buy several styrofoam tubes, run a line with clasps through them and then hang them from the roof rails so that they cover the widest part of the passenger doors. Over that I would put a car cover so that my neighbor does not think I am a pretentious *****!

At the moment, I have the rear seat dog cover clasped onto the roof rails so that they cover the passenger doors. They are thin and offer little protection, but I am hoping that they will help reduce the chance of paint chipping on impact. Paintless dent repair is much easier than trying to repair paint chips PERFECTLY. It may seem a little obnoxious, but that is a price I am willing to pay to keep costly paint repairs at bay... As I mentioned above, I completely understand that these things happen and I would like to be proactive about preventing them.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your input guys!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
There are "parking blocks" which can be temporarily affixed to the side of the car when in tight parking spots. A car cover helps keep the dust off but not much help with dents or scratches. Here is a link that I found with a quick search. No affiliation whatsoever. http://www.doorshox.com/ Now I have to get back to the garage where I am repairing a scratch on the door caused by my allowing the driver's door to hit my work bench.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:08 AM

This might be a good solution. I worry about long-term use and having permanent imprints appear (similar to when you de-badge an old car). I should only use this when the car is covered so maybe it will not an issue?

WL
Old 06-07-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
Imprints are not likely to occur for a couple of reasons. First, the blocks are held on by magnets & not adhesive. Also the paint is not fresh but seasoned by now. These on the car with a cover over everything should give you the protection you want & also piece of mind. Has anyone ever utilised blocks like this?
Old 06-08-2014, 09:34 AM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
Ours is always covered when not in use. Our condo garage is open to the air at both ends, so dust is a big problem if the car isn't covered. I have a CoverKing custom cover for ours.

I also believe that no cover is really thick enough to prevent door-ding damage from a careless neighbor. Thus, for longer down-times [anything longer than a week], I think the magnetic door protectors are a good idea. We have an end-spot [which I deliberately picked when we bought our condo], and have so far not experienced any problems with the car on our exposed side being a problem....emphasis on "so far".
Old 07-18-2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by jrct9454
Ours is always covered when not in use. Our condo garage is open to the air at both ends, so dust is a big problem if the car isn't covered. I have a CoverKing custom cover for ours.

I also believe that no cover is really thick enough to prevent door-ding damage from a careless neighbor. Thus, for longer down-times [anything longer than a week], I think the magnetic door protectors are a good idea. We have an end-spot [which I deliberately picked when we bought our condo], and have so far not experienced any problems with the car on our exposed side being a problem....emphasis on "so far".
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I have a doorshox on order and am looking into car covers now.

JRCT, did you have to request your cover? I am looking on the coverking site and they have no model of cover that will fit the GLK 350. I have a roof rack w/ basket and bike mount, so it would have to cover those as well. Any ideas on where I can get a cover that will fit my car?