GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

RDS (Radio Data System) activation

Old 08-12-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
RDS (Radio Data System) activation

Don't know if this applies to anyone else but going through the engineering menus I found that RDS was available but not activated. I activated it and now on FM radio I get station name (instead of just the frequency), the name of the song artist and the name of the song. In addition I get automatic audible traffic warnings which override any other audio (the other source is automatically muted while the traffic warning is read). In addition, even if you have the radio turned off the warnings will be announced.

The "TA" (Traffic Announcement) function can be turned off in the normal menu system while you still retain the other features like station name etc.

RDS has been around a long time in Europe and there is a U.S. version also. Not all FM stations transmit RDS but here in Germany most do and probably other parts of Europe also.

I should point out that I have a 2014 U.S. spec. 350 GLK with the premium audio system although I don't know if any of that is relevant.

Maybe it's not activated for the U.S. market by default?? Possibly because of the SiriusXM radio option I have (even though it doesn't function in Europe)???

http://www.radio-electronics.com/inf...s-tutorial.php

Last edited by MBKLUE; 08-12-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I have Sirius in mine and never listen or look at FM. I'll have to take notice. Read about getting into the engineering mode but never new it had anything to do with the radio. Where did you find this information?
Old 08-13-2014, 12:30 AM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by MKenM
I have Sirius in mine and never listen or look at FM. I'll have to take notice. Read about getting into the engineering mode but never new it had anything to do with the radio. Where did you find this information?
There are all kinds of things in the Engineering Menus. Most of it's "Greek" to me (wish I could find a listing of what it all is).

I simply scrolled through the menus and saw "RDS" which was something I recognized so I activated it. Also saw something about DAB which I assume is Digital Audio Broadcast. Not sure if that has to do with Sirius or with terrestrial digital radio transmissions (or TV).