GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Rear view camera solution and Warranty problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK350
Rear view camera solution and Warranty problem?

I am a new owner of 2014 GLK350 without multimedia package, with the factory 5" screen, and I want to install a rear view camera. As I figure out, there are two solutions to do this, but I am afraid of these changes will affect the Warranty. As consumer report, the electrical system will go bad easily after two years, I want to keep the four year warranty.

The solutions for rear view camera:
First, total cost around $600. We can buy a upgrade touch screen with DVD player and GPS, such as
http://www.seicane.com/mercedes-benz...-ipod-srd-8809
and then, we can buy any camera to connect to the AV input. I have call the customer service, they confirm that this one works on 2014 GLK350.

Second solution: We can buy an integrate interface module from NAVTV.com, then the rear view camera will integrate with the factory 5" screen. We also can ask Al-ed's to install this system like the video shows:
I have called the local Al-ed's store, they confirm that they can do this for 2014 GLK350 around $1100.

Finally, does anyone can tell me these changes will affect my warranty? thanks very much!
Old 08-23-2014, 02:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
It should not make a difference for the balance of the vehicle but for any item that interfaces with the radio, blue-tooth etc. or might be on the same fuse (which I doubt) I think you will be out of luck. I like the Garmin interface.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:53 PM

2014 GLK350
Originally Posted by MKenM
It should not make a difference for the balance of the vehicle but for any item that interfaces with the radio, blue-tooth etc. or might be on the same fuse (which I doubt) I think you will be out of luck. I like the Garmin interface.
MKenM, thanks for the info.
The Garmin interface is good, but inputting address using central command controller is painful. and the touch screen is much cheaper.

Last edited by Zagwin; 08-23-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
When you say central command controller I assume you are speaking about the wheel on the console. If so I have factory Nav and can input addresses either by voice or the wheel. It does not take long to use the wheel and it is fairly intuitive. Not quite as easy as the Garmin but still not difficult. DO you have voice command for any functions in the car now? I would say that you should find out if voice will work with the Nav head end (the MB unit) if so no doubt for me that I would go with the factory unit. You will have to find out if the Nav unit comes with a map DVD if not it would be about $250 from MB or NAVTEQ (now owned by Nokia) HERE is the name of the new company and navigation.com is their web site.

BTW $475.00 is awful cheap!

Does the 7 inch screen fit. I will assume that when you take out the 5 inch screen the mask comes out with it to allow for the 7 inch screen to fit.

Last edited by MKenM; 08-23-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:41 AM

2014 GLK350
Since my native language is not English, I am not happy with voice command, haha. And my car does not have voice command.

The 7 inch screen fits 2014 GLK350, as it has its own mask with the same size as the 5 inch ones. 5 inch one has larger margin.

This 7 inch screen support GPS with map pre-loaded in a SD card, although I don't know where they get the map data :-(

I will go to Al-ed's store to discuss details, and will try one of the solutions.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:15 PM

2014 GLK350
I just called a local MB OEM store. They said they don't need any interface module, just install the camera and programming my car again, then it will integrate with the command and factory screen. And they guarantee that the installation does not void any original warranty.

Even they only install camera and wires, no other modules, they also charge $1060 (maybe a gold camera:-)). Although it is expensive, I will go there soon since they said they don't change any appearance of the car, and don't void the warranty.