Getting the bikes on the roof (GLK)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250
Getting the bikes on the roof (GLK)

Hi all,

We've got the carrier bars + bike racks solution, but we're finding it a pain to actually get the bikes on the roof. Because the bike holders are spring loaded, it's difficult to mount the bike on the ground first then lift up while somehow pressing the springs downwards to slot into the carrier bars. And lifting the bike up with the bars already in place on the roof is similarly awkward to try and get the straps through the wheel spokes + the stabilizer bar onto the frame. And either way I feel soon I'll accidentally scrape the doors whilst lifting the bike above my head.

Granted we haven't been experimenting for long, but any tips on loading the bikes up apart from a helping hand and a good step ladder? Hitch isn't an option since we didn't get it pre-installed and it's the 250, plus the legal issues with covering up the license plate here in Ontario.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Roof racks on SUVs put the bikes up pretty high; I'd rather use one of those strap-on rear racks like this:

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...01xt-_-1680829

They can be mounted high enough to not hide the license and your bikes will be better protected...
Old 12-09-2014, 01:29 PM

GLK250
They do mount the bikes pretty high, but since we've already invested in the system we'll see if we can make it work.

I did hear about a system similar to this one the other day, where the bikes are on the rear but mounted vertically, so the license plate is completely visible:

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-s...ack-sa872.aspx

Though there's no locks so it'd be super easy to snap the rack off and steal the rack + bikes, vs the MB roof system which locks into the roof carrier bars itself.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK 350 2013
Tough one.

Yes, you will eventually scrape the car while getting a bike up there. I use a hitch mount for that reason (the girlfriend is only 4"11' so she wouldn't help much).

Friends carry a small kitchen type 2-3 step ladder to avoid problems.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by brianhogg
They do mount the bikes pretty high, but since we've already invested in the system we'll see if we can make it work.

I did hear about a system similar to this one the other day, where the bikes are on the rear but mounted vertically, so the license plate is completely visible:

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-s...ack-sa872.aspx

Though there's no locks so it'd be super easy to snap the rack off and steal the rack + bikes, vs the MB roof system which locks into the roof carrier bars itself.
I've seen those before but never used them.

My other concern about bikes on the roof is forgetting they are there and driving into a garage.

Sounds stupid, but I managed a bike shop years ago and that was not as uncommon an occurance as you might think...
Old 12-11-2014, 04:11 PM

GLK250
Originally Posted by rmfnla

My other concern about bikes on the roof is forgetting they are there and driving into a garage.

Sounds stupid, but I managed a bike shop years ago and that was not as uncommon an occurance as you might think...
Definitely doesn't sound stupid... brother/sister in law took out a sign with their 'torpedo' roof carrier going into a parking garage, easy to forget!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by brianhogg
Definitely doesn't sound stupid... brother/sister in law took out a sign with their 'torpedo' roof carrier going into a parking garage, easy to forget!
Ouch!

One clever trick I heard was to mount a mirror on the wall above the garage door so you can see yourself approaching...
Old 12-11-2014, 04:21 PM

GLK250
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Ouch!

One clever trick I heard was to mount a mirror on the wall above the garage door so you can see yourself approaching...
I think that would just make me look up and realize it just before hitting the garage, and the mirror would help to see the carnage from a better angle (right before the bike frame smashes it)