GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Glove compartment port...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Mercedes GLK350 4Matic in White
Question Glove compartment port...?

I have scoured the forum for a clear answer but keep finding different answers to a simple question. When I picked up my used GLK 2 weeks ago the saleperson could not answer my question if the model had the ability to display my iphone/ipod music on the central screen or dash info display as there were no cables supplied with the car. I thought I would come back to investigate here but have been chasing the goose as they say.
This is the port...

It looks like a proprietary bus port like an Atari cartridge port for those of us who grew up in the seventies and eighties. As the centre armrest is not connected in any way, this may be the only point of connection to the car. Is this the dedicated port for the add-on Nav system or is this a generic port for the mysterious iPod cable kit (usb/audio jack/iPod older jack)? Are they one in the same ports? Should I be purchasing a cable adapter from MB if I want to play music from my iphone?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350
That's the media interface port. The car should come with different cables so you can connect USB, iPhone, etc to this port.

I had the same feature on my old 2010 GLK. If you had posted this last week I could have saved the cables for you before I traded it in

Last edited by Tate; 03-17-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well ... if you have the COMAND system (that includes integrated nav) then yes - thru that port you will have music including control and access to playlists.. if you have Audio 20 system (no integrated nav) then thru that port you will have basic forward-back control thru the instrument cluster screen..

Now that that is cleared up a bit ... with that port - what you should consider doing is buying a cable "MMI-to-30-pin" + Tune2Air WMA1000 - which will give you BlueTooth/ADP connection from your phone to that port - so you don't have to hard-wire connect to the port - whole deal under $100 on Amazon... the Tune@Air works seamlessly, best BlueTooth adapter for your GLK...

Amazon.com: ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000 - Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adapter for Car Audio Integration: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000 - Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adapter for Car Audio Integration: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 03-18-2015, 07:59 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
I don't know about the 2011, but that looks identical to the port in my 2014. I have the audio 20 with the mercedes ipod adapter cable it does control the ipod/iphone and displays the album graphics on the dash lcd panel. You can pick up a mercedes cable on amazon.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Mercedes GLK350 4Matic in White
Thumbs up Visseeo Tune2Air3000a

So on the friendly advise here, I got the Viseeo Tune2Air cable (part # 3000a) and Bluetooth dongle (it's a one piece deal) that simple plugs into the port in the glove compartment. It lit up, paired the dongle to my phone and started streaming music in about 15 seconds. No messy usb, secondary audio out jacks and my phone stays in my pocket unless it's charging. Thanks for the heads up but whether buying directly or through eBay be careful as there are quite a few models and for my 2011 GLK without USB ports, the port in the glove compartment was clearly referred to as a multimedia port that is shared by many Audi, Mercedes and VW models. Other Viseeo ports hook up to USB instead but look almost identical. Cheers and thanks.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Glad you found it worked out for you - frankly it's a great little unit for Audiop 20 systems (no Bluetooth music) to add Bluetooth streaming thru the media port...