GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

A & B service cost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK 250 Bluetec
A & B service cost

Our BT 250 my-14 was serviced just before we purchased it last year, and now a few weeks ago while I was at Manhattan MB for another issue to be sorted, they asked it is due fir B service soon and if I wanted it also to be done while the car was there anyway. Well I said no, as at that time I didn't know what the outcome will be with my brakes. That story is covered in another thread...

But, now that I do know pricing in Manhattan is not cheap, what is the difference between A & B services and is it worth driving further away to get it done elsewhere ? As I can easily have a day off, take my family with me to a trip, and take it somewhere elso to save a bunch of $$$.
But if B service is small or cheap anyway, and no real savings are to gained don't wan't to bother.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Go on line and go into dealers web site look for service specials. Then bring the best service coupon to the dealer you want to go to. They should honor the other Mercedes benz dealer coupon. This way you get the best local price where you want to go. I saved about $140 on an a service. Have not had a B yet
Old 09-13-2015, 09:54 AM

GLK 250 Bluetec
Thanks for the tip! Immediately after reading your tip, went to Brooklyn MBs site and there were several coupns/specials.
Did also some searching here on this forum, and it seems many feel this B-service is a ripp off.... and from what I read is going to be expensive.
Since they ( MB Manhattan ) now have replaced all my brakes less than 500 miles ago, I shouldn't have any need to service those at all. And if I replace the cabin filter myself and also fill the AdBlue tank before taking it in, I could save a bunch of money, or am I wrong here ?
Naturally oil, oilfilter & airfilter will be replaced at an astronomical cost, but that's life.

btw : I once did a test with my previous German SUV, took it to a service, and filled the window washer tank up to the cap. So it was as full as You can get when I drove it there. After service was performed, I inspected the invoice, and noted they have added a gallon of fluid to it (and we all know that it is NOT cheap from a dealer ). I asked from the manager how did you manage to put that much in a tank that was full? Well the explanation was that they always test the system at the service... I agree with that, but to do that test, do they spray out a gallon of fluid... naturally he refunded it and was sorry.
Another thing that I wonder is the price of oil that the official services use. They buy it in really large quantities and surely get it at heavily discounted price. And then when it is sold to You when your car is serviced there the price of said oil is really high.
I was once told by a friend to take my own oil in, if I wanted, but never wanted to go that far.

Last edited by eki912; 09-13-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Basically if the car is under warranty and you want to keep it that way you are stuck with doing the A and B service. And yes the B is a rip off but you have to do it to keep the car in warranty. My car will have about 6000 miles on it when it is due for the B. There is no way it needs all that the B service is for. Just hunt for the best coupon.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by dbldpr
?... but you have to do it to keep the car in warranty...
- I do not agree with this statement.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok Good luck with the warranty without proof it was properly maintained. I know I would not want to have to fight them to get something done that they say is not covered because the car was not maintained properly. Having the maintenance done at a dealer leaves the car company no arguable way that the proper maintenance was not done. I enjoy doing maintenance myself but I will not do it myself while car is under warranty.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by dbldpr
Ok Good luck with the warranty without proof it was properly maintained. I know I would not want to have to fight them to get something done that they say is not covered because the car was not maintained properly. Having the maintenance done at a dealer leaves the car company no arguable way that the proper maintenance was not done. I enjoy doing maintenance myself but I will not do it myself while car is under warranty.
You are probably already aware of the magnuson-moss act of 1975, but this seems like a good time to bring it up again. Of course it only applies in the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

There were a lot of folks that had their cars regularly serviced by the dealer that were still screwed when the balance shaft in their m272/273 engines started having problems.

Will the dealer service center try to find a way out of paying for expensive warranty repairs - yes, sometimes. Is it legal for them to do so? Probably not.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Actually - when facing a upcoming B service, price out that B, and also price out a 20K mi-2-pack for preapid maintenance, and if you plan to keep another 30K, price a 30K/3-pack - which probably will save you some dough - but a service pre-pack has to be purchased BEFORE your rig is checked in for service..
Old 03-26-2016, 04:28 PM

GLK 250 Bluetec
Took our GLK bt to the feared B-service today.

Quoted 650, felt really happy, thought it will be close to 1000... left the dealer to do some work.

After a few hours, received a phonecall from dealer : Rear tyres have weared out abnormally, feared the rearend is mis-aligned or something (maybe driven over pothole, which is not surprising, as they are all over around here ) they want to check and adjust the alignment. I said Yes, of course. 240$ or so.
They also rotate the tyres, about 40$.
Can we change the wipers, Yes I replied. Another 130$.

So the total went over the 1000 anyway...

But, I think all will come out good, it has to be done.
And as we all know, keeping the MB is never cheap.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by eki912
Took our GLK bt to the feared B-service today.

Quoted 650, felt really happy, thought it will be close to 1000... left the dealer to do some work.

After a few hours, received a phonecall from dealer : Rear tyres have weared out abnormally, feared the rearend is mis-aligned or something (maybe driven over pothole, which is not surprising, as they are all over around here ) they want to check and adjust the alignment. I said Yes, of course. 240$ or so.
They also rotate the tyres, about 40$.
Can we change the wipers, Yes I replied. Another 130$.

So the total went over the 1000 anyway...

But, I think all will come out good, it has to be done.
And as we all know, keeping the MB is never cheap.
Yes, not cheap, considering Mercedes OEM wipers on eBay are $42-$48 and change them takes 2 minutes.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:45 AM

GLK 250 Bluetec
Well well, the total climbed to 1296$... so double the quoted price of service !

I understand some additional work was done, which I approved, so I was prepared that it will be a bit higher, but doubled...

To cut the long story short, complained of the price rise, and got a nice discount on all parts used. Which lowered the final sum nicely. Still over 1000, though.

But still happy now. B-service done, Ad Blue tank filled ( how much does that tank take ? ) , tyres rotated, wipers changed, no more service warnings.
And car washed too.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 Porsche 997.2, 2015 GLK250, 2009 Sierra 2500HD Diesel
Originally Posted by eki912
Ad Blue tank filled ( how much does that tank take ?
7.3 US gal (27.5 l)

My wife has had the A & B service completed; each time the DEF tank took 16L to fill it, after 15,000km.

Last edited by whiskywizard; 03-31-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:09 PM

GLK 250 Bluetec
OK, thanks for the info.

I don't feel so bad any more...As I did realize that I could have changed the wipers myself, could have changed the cabin air filter myself, could have filled the DEF tank myself, but now saved time by getting it all done in one go. And can be sure I have the correct ones in there now.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I think you need a good trustworthy local mechanic. Magnuson-Moss says the dealer or manufacturer can't insist on doing the work - but it needs to be done. A good mechanic will be half as much. You can also do a lot of the small things ( for me that means air filters, wipers and oil changes ) and then take it to the mechanic to complete and verify your work and sign off. That saves a lot.