GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Another departure from MB (GLK) Fraternity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
Another departure from MB (GLK) Fraternity

Well after nearly 46 months, we have decided to leave the GLK fraternité.
For a second year variant of the 1st gen GLK, it had all the accoutrement of that time including rear backup cam, parking sensors+LED lights in a very modern & clean Irridium Silver + AMG Styling Package.

Very fast with its 268 HP/258 TQ once it got a head of steam.
Our GLK got reared ended once & we hit some1 once.
Both times it came out with less damage cost vs. the counterparty and looked like new after repairs.
So kind of a positive.
Even with 2 accidents, we still got 49% of our money back selling it.

Alas, the deficiency vs. more modern comps were the twitchy steering & lumbering driving characteristics.
It just couldn't physically dart in/out of tight traffic very easily in an urban much less mall environment.
This is a tank ! (see above accident report)
And with our hectic lifestyle, we needed something a bit more tossable.

Nearing our 48 month loan term my wife decided we needed to move in a different direction.
Criteria were:
Smaller, Quicker, More Nimble
More Electronic Safety Aids
Specific color combo.
More X-over & less SUV.

We looked at the forthcoming GLC in the media but it looked & is bigger in size & $.
We looked at the 2016 BMW X 1 but it looked too much like a SubaruWagon & we didn't like being 1st year early adopters of cars & their teething issues.
So we ended up with this: Audi Q3
Name:  fwbDjQUl.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  54.6 KB.

So far, it ticks all my wife's boxes on her checklist.
It's a proven performer in Europe already & the redesign is not expected for another 3-4 years.
Mercedes will always be the best or nothing but for now, we are taking a break.
So I bid adieu to all of you & best of luck with your X204's!
Drive well & drive long.

Last edited by MBNA109; 09-25-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350
Originally Posted by MBNA109
Well after nearly 46 months, we have decided to leave the GLK fraternité.
For a second year variant of the 1st gen GLK, it had all the accoutrement of that time including rear backup cam, parking sensors+LED lights in a very modern & clean Irridium Silver + AMG Styling Package.

Very fast with its 268 HP/258 TQ once it got a head of steam.
Our GLK got reared ended once & we hit some1 once.
Both times it came out with less damage cost vs. the counterparty and looked like new after repairs.
So kind of a positive.
Even with 2 accidents, we still got 49% of our money back selling it.

Alas, the deficiency vs. more modern comps were the twitchy steering & lumbering driving characteristics.
It just couldn't physically dart in/out of tight traffic very easily in an urban much less mall environment.
This is a tank ! (see above accident report)
And with our hectic lifestyle, we needed something a bit more tossable.

Nearing our 48 month loan term my wife decided we needed to move in a different direction.
Criteria were:
Smaller, Quicker, More Nimble
More Electronic Safety Aids
Specific color combo.
More X-over & less SUV.

We looked at the forthcoming GLC in the media but it looked & is bigger in size & $.
We looked at the 2016 BMW X 1 but it looked too much like a SubaruWagon & we didn't like being 1st year early adopters of cars & their teething issues.
So we ended up with this: Audi Q3

So far, it ticks all my wife's boxes on her checklist.
It's a proven performer in Europe already & the redesign is not expected for another 3-4 years.
Mercedes will always be the best or nothing but for now, we are taking a break.
So I bid adieu to all of you & best of luck with your X204's!
Drive well & drive long.
Sorry to hear your departure. The Q3 is very small. The 2015 was redesigned and the 2016 or 2017 will have monitor redesigns. One significant change will be the MMI screen. The first Q3 did not have a retractable screen. So they redesigned it for a retractable screen. Unfortunately for Audi. The new regulations will force them to have a non retractable MMI screen. You might like the retractable screen but the newer update coming in a year or two will have a much better electronic system at the instrumental cluster. The new Q7 and A4 tech will trickle down to the next Q3 and A6/A7. This is going to be a major improvement for a true hands free experience for Audi. I chose to get the 2016 A6 because of the engine refresh putting almost 300 horses at the crank and 400 horse at the wheels.

We looked at the Q3, but is was too small since my wife came from a Q5 3.0TDi engine. Comparatively, the Audi Q5 3.0T and 3.0TDi also didn't match my wife's 2015 GLK350 power and the Q3 was lacking in power.

Why not a Porsche Mecan? Same size asthe Q3, but more power, stability and agility. A sports car in a crossover, yet smooth enough to be comfortable.

Any way, I hope you enjoy your Q3. My friend in Toronto loves his.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
Originally Posted by Inyoury
Sorry to hear your departure. The Q3 is very small. The 2015 was redesigned and the 2016 or 2017 will have monitor redesigns. One significant change will be the MMI screen. The first Q3 did not have a retractable screen. So they redesigned it for a retractable screen. Unfortunately for Audi. The new regulations will force them to have a non retractable MMI screen. You might like the retractable screen but the newer update coming in a year or two will have a much better electronic system at the instrumental cluster. The new Q7 and A4 tech will trickle down to the next Q3 and A6/A7. This is going to be a major improvement for a true hands free experience for Audi. I chose to get the 2016 A6 because of the engine refresh putting almost 300 horses at the crank and 400 horse at the wheels.

We looked at the Q3, but is was too small since my wife came from a Q5 3.0TDi engine. Comparatively, the Audi Q5 3.0T and 3.0TDi also didn't match my wife's 2015 GLK350 power and the Q3 was lacking in power.

Why not a Porsche Mecan? Same size as the Q3, but more power, stability and agility. A sports car in a crossover, yet smooth enough to be comfortable.

Any way, I hope you enjoy your Q3. My friend in Toronto loves his.
Thanks for the feedback & we actually took time during our research to discuss, thought & finally rationalized the above as:

1) Smaller size is what we wanted. We don't carry a lot & anything that does not fit, we pay for it to be delivered. We figure we didn't need a monthly car payment to pay for room we don't use on a routine basis.

2) Actually DOT regs did make the MMI screen non-retractable & Audi's 2016 redesign - what we have - is in line with all the iPad on the dashboard craze that every1 is a critic of. But we like it, can't imagine stowing it away since it provides all the drivers aid & infotainment that we need.

3) Yeah the Q3 will never be a stop light to stop light racer but it is a sublime & very quick lane changer.
And with claustrophobic traffic everywhere we go, we placed a premium on driveability & nimbleness vs. outright speed of a GLK type SUV.

4) Thought about the Macan - for like 1 minute - until the Porsche ala carte pricing strategy make a similarly equipped $29K less Audi a more compelling purchase.

In the end, Mercedes is still the premiere brand top to bottom in all segments. But our GLK was reaching the end of it's run and is being replaced by the GLC - which is not the perfect fit for us right now.
We did our GLK moment 4 years ago when it was the perfect fit & now we are moving on.

Cheers!

Last edited by MBNA109; 09-26-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:17 AM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by Inyoury
...I chose to get the 2016 A6 because of the engine refresh putting almost 300 horses at the crank and 400 horse at the wheels...
??... now that's some interesting negative loss drivetrain technology...

Audi Vorsprung durch Technik!

Last edited by MBKLUE; 09-26-2015 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:36 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
??... now that's some interesting negative loss drivetrain technology...

Audi Vorsprung durch Technik!
Sorry the opposite. Around 400 at the crank and almost 300 hp at the wheel. Was a power boost from the 2012-2015 models.

Last edited by Inyoury; 09-26-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:50 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by MBNA109
In the end, Mercedes is still the premiere brand top to bottom in all segments. But our GLK was reaching the end of it's run and is being replaced by the GLC - which is not the perfect fit for us right now.
We did our GLK moment 4 years ago when it was the perfect fit & now we are moving on.

Cheers!
Glad to hear you found the vehicle you needed and wanted. It is very difficult to find one that has all the features and components. Enjoy your new ride! I'm always an Audi fan, my wife no so much.