GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Extended Warranties are SHADY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GLK 350 4matic
Extended Warranties are SHADY

I've scoured the forums on extended warranties. Some positive experiences, mostly negative, but still "Peace of Mind" nonetheless.

Bought a used 2011 GLK350@60k miles, love it. Only regret i have is not just going into a lease with MB, but after a sour leasing experience was a bit hesitant.

Any way i've been researching warranties as this car is out of factory as of June.

Once i started looking, i couldn't stop. It's like a trainwreck. I started googling the addresses from pamphlets and finding that like 3 or 4 of these companies are owned by the same parent company and just do business under other names.

Some are brokers, don't even provide the actual policy.

It's literally insane. Using the BBB helps a bit but that can be even scarier, reading through the reviews and complaints.

Anyway. I just want something like the factory warranty that obviously excludes wear and tear and neglect (i assume responsibility for damages caused by me not changing my oil).

I know i can self insure, but i don't even know what that looks like for a mercedes. Are we talking a bucket of 3-4k should cover me or 10-13k.

I'd like to say i narrowed it down but i haven't.

I can't really get over how insanely shady that market is. Makes me want to start a legit warranty company (ironically probably the ones that have tanked).

Not even looking for an answer, just in utter shock at how this search for POM has unfolded.

Similar experiences? Thoughts?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If you purchased a Mercedes Certified Pre-owned GLK - then you should look to extending the Mercedes Certified warranty.

If you purchased a pre-owned GLK - and you do not have a Mercedes Certified Warranty - then I would suggest you look to a CNA warranty - which is one of the legitimate ones.

If you want a recommendation for a aftermarket warranty - one good source of info is to ask the Service Advisor's at your servicing dealer - and they can give you 1st hand experience as to what after-market warranties have been best in their expereince on the servicing end.

Keep the beat !
Old 10-15-2015, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 546 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
I am sorry... but you are looking for a factory-like warranty on a 5-year old car? You do know that insurance (warranty) companies are businesses and as such operate for the sole purpose of making a profit, right?

Last edited by Diabolis; 10-16-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 clk 500 convertible
I posted a separate thread. I am researching for my 2009 GL550 and I am confused too. No education whatsoever.

I talked to a mercedes Dealer and a real all in policy is 16k!!! thats is crazy, with a 500 bucks deductible its 11k. Still insame as this is only for 3years!

Problem is that my car has 69k miles and the GL is super high risk as probably is the same with the GLK.

Devil is in teh details on whats covered. Reading from teh forums steering, transmission and suspension are the main issues with the GL. So I am figuring out if the 3300 36k insurance proposal I got from National Warranty is covering this. Endurance was 5k without inspection, (that sounds shady as the contract for coverage is not even covering all the parts.

long story short I may just not get it and hope for the best...
Old 10-21-2015, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 546 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
To both of you gentlemen - I completely understand your frustration, and seeing as I sympathize with your predicament, I will gladly give you both a no-bu11$h!t 3-year warranty on your respective vehicles under the same terms and conditions as the OEM factory warranty, for, say, $25K for the GLK and $40K for the GL (in other words, for whatever the estimated repair costs are goign to be over the three yeras plus 50%). Honest to G-d.