GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

New GLK 350 owner...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK 350 4 Matic
New GLK 350 owner...

I just got a 2015 GLK 350, one year old with 7000 miles on it. It is certified used, which adds a year to the warranty. I also got the 2 year extended warranty, so I should be covered for almost 6 years. So far I like it...

My previous primary car was a 1997 Chevy Tahoe, which I bought new. I'm still keeping it though, it has been semi retired to really bad weather and back woods use. It has been well maintained, and considering that I couldn't get anything for it, I might as well keep it. It's in too good shape to get rid of.

Why did I get the discontinued GLK instead of the new GLC?
* looks - I like the boxy look better
* don't care about the upgraded toys. Anything is fancy compared to the Tahoe
* the engine is the big reason- I much prefer the NA V6 over the downgraded 4 in the GLC. I plan to keep it for a long time, I trust NA engines over a turbo.

Of course, it is much smaller than the Tahoe. It is just myself, so I don't think I will miss the extra cargo room. It is MUCH more nimble, and feels much faster. Ride is much better.

Shocking how much better quality of the interior. Of course the Tahoe has almost 19 years of wear, but still no comparison.

Steering tracks straight and true, unlike the Tahoe. The brakes actually work.

I need to get a trailer hitch put on for my bike rack. My Tahoe has a class 3 hitch with the 2" receiver, I hope I can get the same for the GLK. I doubt it will ever tow anything.

I haven't found much I dislike about it:

* range. Fuel economy, while better than the Tahoe, isn't outstanding for a V6. Even with its lousy mileage, the Tahoe has better range due to its 30 gallon tank, compared to the GLK's 17.

* I miss the 350 V8. It sounds better and runs smoother. The V6 has to rev higher to accomplish the same amount of work than the V8. The V8 rarely needed to go over 2500 rpm when accelerating.

* The throttle doesn't seem to be very linear and has some lag. I press the throttle, nothing happens. Press a little harder, still nothing. Then it finally lunges forward. Sport mode, which starts out in 1st instead of 2nd, seems to help. I like the mechanical linkage between pedal and throttle in the Tahoe better than the 'fly by wire' stuff.

* The electric steering is too light and doesn't self center with any kind of authority when turning corners. The Tahoe steering snaps back to center and can be regulated with the throttle. Not so with the GLK.

Since everything is software controlled, I'm hoping there is a way to back off the steering assist. The dealer says no, but I'm wondering if that just means they won't do it.

Overall, I like it and hope it is a vehicle I can keep for a long long time.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Congrats on the new ride. Seems like a few people have the same comments re: GLK over GLC. They prefer the boxy styling and standard V6.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:57 AM

GLK 350 4 Matic
I've been playing with the paddle shifters. I've observed that after using one of the shifters it goes into manual mode. After 5 or 10 seconds it goes back into auto mode and changes gears to what the computer thinks is appropriate. Is there any way to change the delay, or disable the switch back to auto mode until I want it?

For example, on my route I have a long downhill in a 30 mph zone. I prefer to change down rather than riding the brakes down the hill. The car goes back into auto mode and changes up before I get to the bottom. I would prefer it stay in manual mode until I tell it to go back to auto.

I've also been playing at stop lights. If I leave it in Eco mode but use the paddle to change down to 1st, it stays in manual mode. Once the car starts moving, the timer appears to start. I can use the paddle to change up as I get up to speed, then a few seconds later it goes back to auto mode.

Using the paddle to start out in first seems to help reduce the hesitation.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Lazarus Long
I've been playing with the paddle shifters. I've observed that after using one of the shifters it goes into manual mode. After 5 or 10 seconds it goes back into auto mode and changes gears to what the computer thinks is appropriate. Is there any way to change the delay, or disable the switch back to auto mode until I want it?

For example, on my route I have a long downhill in a 30 mph zone. I prefer to change down rather than riding the brakes down the hill. The car goes back into auto mode and changes up before I get to the bottom. I would prefer it stay in manual mode until I tell it to go back to auto.

I've also been playing at stop lights. If I leave it in Eco mode but use the paddle to change down to 1st, it stays in manual mode. Once the car starts moving, the timer appears to start. I can use the paddle to change up as I get up to speed, then a few seconds later it goes back to auto mode.

Using the paddle to start out in first seems to help reduce the hesitation.
Are you tapping the accelerator while in manual? That seems to be what resets mine. Which is annoying...if i am using the paddled to engine break while descending 5 miles of downhill grade, if I upshift with the paddle, it won't change gears unless I also tap the accelerator.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:57 PM

GLK 350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by sethro1980
Are you tapping the accelerator while in manual? That seems to be what resets mine. Which is annoying...if i am using the paddled to engine break while descending 5 miles of downhill grade, if I upshift with the paddle, it won't change gears unless I also tap the accelerator.
I have not observed that behavior. If I coast down the hill without touching the accelerator, it switches to auto mode and changes up before I get to the bottom. When sitting at a stop light with my foot on the brake, it seems to sit there forever in manual mode, until I hit the gas to accelerate away. Mine is a 2015, my mother has a 2013. The 2013 dash display is a little different. It just displays 'D' until you hit a paddle. The display changes to Dn, where n is the gear it's in. After it switches back to auto, the display keeps the 'Dn' (doesn't go back to 'D'), but n is the last manual mode gear, it doesn't reflect the actual gear. Looks like a bug to me. My 2015 always displays 'Dn', and n appears to be always correct. I haven't tried upshifting with the paddle without my foot on the accelerator. I've only used it when accelerating away from a light.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by spyked
Congrats on the new ride. Seems like a few people have the same comments re: GLK over GLC. They prefer the boxy styling and standard V6.
I also come from several V8's and chose the GLK over the GLC for the V6.
Wish the sound of the exhaust was a little bit better but I am very happy with the performance.
Hard to believe but the GLK350 is faster than then V6 Porsche Cayenne.
Regarding the electronic steering I also don't care too much about it.
Overall is a good fast little SUV.
Still need to get used it it.