GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Power Steering/Hydraulic Fluid Color

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GLK350
Power Steering/Hydraulic Fluid Color

Hi, I've been searching with no success.

I bought the manual recommended Pentosin CHF 11S for my 2010 GLK 350 4Matic today because my fluid is at minimum, when both hot and cold. It took me a day+ to make sure I was opening the correct thing under the hood and checking the correct dipstick (it's at about 5 o'clock when looking down at the engine cover).

So the fluid that's in there is super clear and a really, really light shade of pink or red, if I had to pick a color. The Pentosin I bought is in the green can and is most definitely green. I've been reading about how the Mercedes manual incorrectly recommends two types of fluid depending on whether you have ABC or not, but I haven't found a definitive answer.

I have the idle vibration when not moving in gear (ie. stopped at a light) which is exacerbated by a slight turn of the steering wheel. Many solutions have been suggested, but the most common fix has seemed to be replacing the motor mounts. I stumbled upon my low power steering fluid while looking for alternative solutions before going through the motor mount change. User Sam.P was kind enough to write up a motor mount change FAQ but it seemed a bit intimidating and pushed me to exhaust other options before attempting it.

Is it safe to top off the fluid in there with the green stuff? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:33 AM

GLK250 BT
Why not just go to the dealer and ask for the correct fluid?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:22 AM

2010 GLK350
This is the correct fluid I'm supposed to use according to the manual and (as I found out on the phone this morning), the dealer. I have the next available appointment five days from now but he wouldn't go further other than to say, "I'll have to look at it" when I asked if I could mix the green and pink fluids.

I have the correct fluid. It's green. The stuff in the reservoir is pink. I'm asking if I can mix it.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:13 PM

2010 GLK350
Went to the dealer today. Was told by the shop foreman that the green Pentosin the manual recommends is the expensive stuff but most shops use the pink stuff because it's cheaper. He said that "it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world" if I mixed them but recommended that I change the fluid out myself because "they'd charge me too much" if he did it.

Here are the steps he told me to perform:
1. Use a turkey baster to remove as much of the pink stuff as I can.
2. Fill it up with the green stuff.
3. Turn on the car and turn the wheel all the way left to right a couple of times.
4. Suck the reservoir dry again.
5. Fill it back up.

It'll cost me another can ($23) but I should be good for a long time.