Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 GLK350 4Matic
Brake Pad Warning Indicator Noise

Hey Guys,

2012 GLK350 here.

I know our brake systems come with brake pad warming sensors. However, do you guys know if there is supposed to be an audible sound that occurs when brake pads are low and need replacement?

Thanks
Wayne
Old 12-31-2016, 01:16 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Trust me, when that sensor comes in contact with the rotor, you will hear it, loud and clear. It emits a god awful screech.

The above description applies to most North American automobiles. It occurred to me after writing the above, the Mercedes system is most likely over engineered, complicated, prone to failure and expensive to maintain. Can't say for sure as am not a long time Mercedes owner and have not had to replace brake pads.

Am sure long time MB owners will enlighten us if the sensor is something other than a small piece of protruding steel riveted to the brake pad.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Mercedes has never used audible water indicators. They use a system in which a pin inserted into a slot in the pad grounds out against the rotor and triggers a yellow warning lamp (on older models) or a message displayed displayed on the instrument panel. The exact message is described in the vehicle owners manual.
The following users liked this post:
larrypmyers (01-01-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
Trust me, when that sensor comes in contact with the rotor, you will hear it, loud and clear. It emits a god awful screech.

The above description applies to most North American automobiles. It occurred to me after writing the above, the Mercedes system is most likely over engineered, complicated, prone to failure and expensive to maintain. Can't say for sure as am not a long time Mercedes owner and have not had to replace brake pads.

Am sure long time MB owners will enlighten us if the sensor is something other than a small piece of protruding steel riveted to the brake pad.
Not sure where you get the info about prone failure and and over engineered. If you hear a god awful screach, you have gone past the brake sensor and are rubbing rivets against rotor...hopefully, you will follow shadows advice...very simple..when wear gets to a certain point of wear, it will trigger warning lamp on dash. My experience is that you have some mileage left on the pads.
BTW, MB brakes are no different than any other brand car...brake job is a brake job...if handy a DIY...many threads on the step by step and youtube videos.