Service reminder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250
Service reminder

Hi,
I have a Service reminder popping up every time I turn on the engine.
I do realize I am due soon for Service A.
I have a BlueTec diesel and I wonder if I can exceed a little.
I did schedule an appointment at MB, but I am concerned if this is related to urea tank as well. I read other day day the thread that the message was in such a case "you have # of starts left". Am I right? Or I should go as per odometer message right away?
Don't want to end up with car on a side road.
Thanks a lot!!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK 250 BT
The message you need to be concerned with is the # of starts left message. If you see that..get in right away. The service A message you can prob exceed by a little, but don't push it as you don't want any warranty issues for not taking it in when they said to.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:43 PM

2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by purebass
The message you need to be concerned with is the # of starts left message. If you see that..get in right away. The service A message you can prob exceed by a little, but don't push it as you don't want any warranty issues for not taking it in when they said to.
Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking, Thanks a lot!
Old 01-27-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 Black SLK 55 AMG, Black 2015 GL 550, 2011 Blue GLK 350
The "Urea" the poster referred to is DEF (diesel exhaust fluid). The stealership will likely charge you $200 to fill your tank with DEF. Just so you know, you can buy DEF at your local Autozone or similar auto parts store. I have had both ML and GL diesels. The tank in those vehicles is 7 gallons. The container you buy at auto zone runs $12-14. You can fill it yourself. Depending on your model, the fill will be in the hatch under the floor on the older models or along side the fuel filler inside the same fill door on the newer models. If it is in the hatch under the floor, you do not want to spill it or it can corrode wiring and metal parts. I placed rags around to absorb any drips and used a funnel. Also since the tank is 7 gallons and there is no way to see if you are about to overflow, I just put two of the 2.5 gallon containers in the tank for a total of 5 gallons and that usually lasted me about 15k miles. The containers have a filler neck that attaches and does a good job but the filler cap is low in the floor so you will need a funnel. If it is outside where the fuel fill is it is not a problem to just use the filler neck.
IF you let the fluid run low, after the last number of starts, you won't be able to drive it anymore. So yes, you need to fill it promptly. Your owners manual will also tell you that once filled, just start and drive the car and it will reset the message on your dash. The stealership will tell you that you need to come in and have them reset it. That is BS. Also the dealers tell you that you have to buy Mercedes urea. That is BS as well. All the diesels that use DEF use the same solution.
Good luck and happy motoring!!!
Old 01-27-2017, 07:38 PM

2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by robalo220
The "Urea" the poster referred to is DEF (diesel exhaust fluid). The stealership will likely charge you $200 to fill your tank with DEF. Just so you know, you can buy DEF at your local Autozone or similar auto parts store. I have had both ML and GL diesels. The tank in those vehicles is 7 gallons. The container you buy at auto zone runs $12-14. You can fill it yourself. Depending on your model, the fill will be in the hatch under the floor on the older models or along side the fuel filler inside the same fill door on the newer models. If it is in the hatch under the floor, you do not want to spill it or it can corrode wiring and metal parts. I placed rags around to absorb any drips and used a funnel. Also since the tank is 7 gallons and there is no way to see if you are about to overflow, I just put two of the 2.5 gallon containers in the tank for a total of 5 gallons and that usually lasted me about 15k miles. The containers have a filler neck that attaches and does a good job but the filler cap is low in the floor so you will need a funnel. If it is outside where the fuel fill is it is not a problem to just use the filler neck.
IF you let the fluid run low, after the last number of starts, you won't be able to drive it anymore. So yes, you need to fill it promptly. Your owners manual will also tell you that once filled, just start and drive the car and it will reset the message on your dash. The stealership will tell you that you need to come in and have them reset it. That is BS. Also the dealers tell you that you have to buy Mercedes urea. That is BS as well. All the diesels that use DEF use the same solution.
Good luck and happy motoring!!!
Thanks a lot for detailed explanations. Initially I though you misspell dealership... "stealership"... LOL Very true! They are very greedy.