GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

RPM Drop & Lurch when decelerating at slow speed

Old 04-28-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GLK350 4MATIC
RPM Drop & Lurch when decelerating at slow speed

Hey all

Loving my new GLK, got it about 7 months ago with ~55k miles from Carmax. Put about 10k miles on it since. Was used as a fleet car before this.

Anyway, I've been having this issue where, when I'm going slow (under 30 mph) such as through a neighborhood or approaching a light/stop, my car will lurch when coming down to 1500 rpm.

It's repeatable at this exact rpm and at slow speeds. The rpms will drop from 1500 to about 1000 and the car will lurch without any input from me. I've had shifting issues with past cars and it's been indicative of bad transmissions so I'm getting concerned. This thing is almost brand new to me...

I have read elsewhere that sometimes resetting the TCU could help. I just got service B done and replacement of my ATF. I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Anyone have expertise in this area or have this before? I find it interesting that I can pinpoint the exact moment that it will lurch. I can put it in neutral when it approaches 1500 and it will not lurch at all. I haven't tried setting the gear and seeing if it's a downshifting issue, but wouldn't downshifting bump the revs up and not down?

This occurs in Sport and in Economy mode, so I'm not sure how to isolate this issue further.

Any input would help. Thanks
Old 05-01-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
Try resetting th throttle/driving habit, the car adapts to driver habits and it's always a good thing idea to refresh the memory.
key to on position without starting the car, step on gas all the way and hold, turn off car but do not take out the key , wait a few seconds and then turn to on position. Hopefully your keeping your foot on the has the whole time, now you turn off the car and take the key out, release the gas pedal and let it sit for 30 minutes
Old 05-03-2019, 04:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C320 sport 2003, c300 4matic sport 2013, 2018 GLE63 AMG
Did you by any chance fix the problem? What was it?
Old 03-01-2021, 02:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' ML550, ML 63, E55, and 2019 S63, 19’ Porsche 991 911 Speedster
Originally Posted by AzCamel
Try resetting th throttle/driving habit, the car adapts to driver habits and it's always a good thing idea to refresh the memory.
key to on position without starting the car, step on gas all the way and hold, turn off car but do not take out the key , wait a few seconds and then turn to on position. Hopefully your keeping your foot on the has the whole time, now you turn off the car and take the key out, release the gas pedal and let it sit for 30 minutes
key in position 2. Foot mashed to floor pass the little bump in pedal. Hold for TWO MINUTES. Then remove key and release pedal. It is imperative you don’t touch or pen doors and wait a full two minutes. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING OR OPEN DOORS. Wait for 2 more minutes to pass. Then start, drive for 20 minutes. Reset complete.
The following users liked this post:
BalaJake (05-12-2021)