GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Self Opening Tailgate? WTH?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
Self Opening Tailgate? WTH?

I've had a weird problem recently with the tailgate deciding it might be fun to open in the garage against the garage door. It can't open very far so I notice it only when I go to open the garage door and it stops against the tailgate getting itself involved in a paint chipping project on the lower edge of the tailgate! Grrr!
It has happened twice now. The garage is being opened from the wall button so random frequencies from the garage opener can't really be blamed. The tailgate is always closed securely so I can't blame this on an absent minded tailgate closing action either.
This has never happened in any other circumstance like on the road or at a gas station, etc.
Has anyone else had this mis-adventure with their tailgate? and discovered the problem?

Last edited by mjhawkins2346; 07-09-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-09-2017, 11:25 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
2015 Mercedes Glk350
Happened to me once truck was too close to the garage door and it hit.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 181 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
I have not had this happen with our GLK, but I have had it happen with my E400. My trunk would open at random times. The first 4 or 5 times it was at home, in the locked garage. Dealer said maybe I had the key fob in my pocket and leaned on the trunk button. I didn't know, so ignored it.

Then one day while the car was parked in a parking lot at work, somebody came into the building and told me that my trunk was open. I had the security person run the video for the past half hour, and with nobody around and no cars within view, my trunk just opened by itself.

Armed with the video, I took the car in. My SA was generally amused, said that he would check with other SA's on MB's service network web site. It turned out that a couple of other SA's had this problem, and both cars turned out to have defective rear Signal Acquisition Module(s) - also known as Rear SAM. They changed my rear SAM, and in the past year, no further issues.

Probably same situation with the GLK. All you have to do is convince the SA that this is the likely culprit.
The following 2 users liked this post by SteveE400:
B737 (07-11-2017), CaliBenzDriver (05-13-2019)
Old 07-10-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350
My GLK has done this twice. I just assumed that I must have long pressed the key fob when it was in the same hand as my groceries.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 195 Posts
2013 glk 350
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
I've had a weird problem recently with the tailgate deciding it might be fun to open in the garage against the garage door. It can't open very far so I notice it only when I go to open the garage door and it stops against the tailgate getting itself involved in a paint chipping project on the lower edge of the tailgate! Grrr!
It has happened twice now. The garage is being opened from the wall button so random frequencies from the garage opener can't really be blamed. The tailgate is always closed securely so I can't blame this on an absent minded tailgate closing action either.
This has never happened in any other circumstance like on the road or at a gas station, etc.
Has anyone else had this mis-adventure with their tailgate? and discovered the problem?

Twice that happened to me until I put my keys away when home