GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

10.25 Android System in 2014 Glk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 E350 Sport & 2014 Mecedes GLK 350
10.25 Android System in 2014 Glk

Merry Christmas Everyone!!! Had some time this weekend to install the 10.25 touch screen in my barebones 2014 GlK with the horrible 5 inch comand. I Didn't have nav or back up camera and I saw Chris the Swede's amazing GLK renovation and went with the 10.25 he shown. Price and shipping is good at $640. Way less that a NTG 4/.7 7 inch unit I was scouting for which would have been $1500 before the additional cost of reprogramming. I Installed the unit Christmas Eve, its great. Didn't finish the backup camera but I ran the wiring and just need to work on the tailgate. I've listed installation tips.

Tools need:
10.25 Android touch Screen ( Got it from CKMCarDesign) (For Non-European Buyers - Make sure to remove VAT from being included in the purchase price. Top left screen)
Plastic trim ply tools
Ignition lock Tool ( To remove chrome trim around ignition which also holds dash wood trim)
A decent set of torx screw drivers ( I think the majority of the 6 screws you have to remove are T25 remove radio climate control panel and 5 Inch screen)
Tailgate backup camera in handle frame (factory style backup camera if you don't have)

Disclaimer, I accept zero responsibility for incorrect installation and/or damage done to your vehicle due to following my installation. Use YOUR OWN JUDGMENT when determining the best way to proceed.

To familiarize myself with dismantling the dashboard I used the youtube videos provided by Arya Zone. He does an excellent job of explaining the careful dismantling of your GLK and I followed his steps and advice, only changing the product I was installing. The core content is pretty much all the same . Pleas watch the 3 part videos several times to become familiar. Visual instructions are better than any written instruction I could provide.

At this point, You've watched the videos and have started taking apart the dash trim. Whats not included in the video is that when you're removing the woodgrain dashtrim is that there's a torx screw holding the trim on the right side of the dash within the door jab. Remove it, Don't manhandle it. I was about to release the inner beast before I looked over there and saw what was holding the trim back.

When removing the radio, unscrew the torx screws until they loosen from the backside of the bracket in which they screw into. DON'T unscrew them from the front screw brace ( The only brace you'll see). The radio sits in two arms which hold and lock the radio down, once those screws are loosened from the back bracket, the radio will be able to slide forward. Use a curved trim tool to pull the radio a bit forward to grab as the radio sits it a sloped frame which props the front of the radio up. Unplug the small wiring harness on the front right side of the radio before you pull the radio all the way out of the way. (Remember Arya Zone's youtube instructions)

Running the large wiring harness up to the screen dash compartment is a bit difficult if you have have large hands, You can route the main harness form the radio compartment to the screen compartment by a using a narrow alley on the back right side inside the center dash. Use a cable route tool to help pull the cables up to the screen compartment. Plug in all the cables. Use the youtube videos provided by CKMCardesign to see how the harness should be connected.

For running the GPS antenna, there's a long corridor that runs behind the glove box to the screen dash compartment, accessible from the right door jab panel. It's the first panel you removed when following the youtube dash removal videos. I used this corridor to run the cables for the back up camera and can be used for all other auxillary cables. From there, they can be run along the door and/or foot well trim.

Test Everything before you put your dash back. It all should work. The hardest part of this entire project was putting the radio back into the dash because the wiring harness is huge and stops the radio from sliding flush with the dash. My solution was putting the big square t Harness connector under the plastic frame which supports the radio. There's a small depression in beneath the frame from where the original harness orignates, which will allow the stuffing of the harness. I spent an hour trying the find the best place.

The amount of space you have to work with; Not Much.

When putting radio back inside dash, make sure both radio lock arms are up, with torx screw facing up (Red Arrow). Once radio is inside the arms lock onto the radio and then can be screwed down into the back bracket.

The bracket is perfect!!! Excellent fit and finish. Route the cables as shown in picture, so they'll line up exactly with the corresponding ports on the back of the screen.

Finished Product (More pics to come)

Great OEM Look!!!
I haven't had much time to play around with it's a 1000% better than the 5 inch screen. Native high def resolution is beautiful. The touchscreen is real smooth. The Comand wheel scrolls the menus. Endless customization with the GooglePlay store. Big Thanks to the Arya Zone, Chris the Swede and CKMCardesign referenced in this post. They provided the best visual instructions that will make this installation possible for the GLK community. Hope this write up helps those still on the fence.

Last edited by Phinestro; 12-25-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:49 PM

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts
2015 GLK350 & 2020 C300
cool
Old 12-26-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
Good review. I'm waiting to pay off the Christmas Visa then I'll be buying from Chris.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
that came out awesome, great job!!
took some bravery too. how are you liking the new display so far? new features?
Old 12-27-2017, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by B737
that came out awesome, great job!!
took some bravery too. how are you liking the new display so far? new features?
The display is fantastic. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to change the climate control from Celsius to Fahrenheit and change the time and date. Had to go back to work, so my play time has been limited.

Last edited by Phinestro; 12-27-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Phinestro
The display is fantastic. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to change the climate control from Celsius to Fahrenheit and change the time and date. Had to go back to work, so my play time has been limited.
Did you ever find out how to change it to Farenheit and the time/date? Guessing b/c it chinese you cant?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 CLA 45, 2013 GLK 350
That looks super cool. Looks OEM!

Im thinking of getting one as well. I was wondering a couple of things.

1. Does it work with the steering wheel controls?
2. Do you lose your COMAND interface?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2018, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Van Ha Nguyen
That looks super cool. Looks OEM!

Im thinking of getting one as well. I was wondering a couple of things.

1. Does it work with the steering wheel controls?
2. Do you lose your COMAND interface?

Thanks!
Update - So my unit totally stopped functioning. Everything was going great until a couple of weeks ago when it stopped booting up. I’m currently back to original 5 inch command screen. Regarding your questions; both the steering wheel controls work and you don’t lose any COMAND functions.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:02 PM

2018 C43 AMG
Has Chris been trying to resolve the situation?
Old 06-21-2018, 01:11 PM

2018 C43 AMG
@phinestro did you ever resolve this issue?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:41 PM

Sorry for the day. I've been super busy; haven't had time for car stuff. Yeah, Chris me in contact with tech support at Car life mall.net. I have to ship it back to them to get fixed. So all warranty work is done through Car Life Mall.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Mercedes GLK350
Hey can someone please!! help me, I have a 2012 Mercedes glk350, I just got the android 10.25 and I have a lot of question, but FIRST. While I was trying to fix one of the issues I have a question about. I just got an error message saying, "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped. I need help trying to figure out the issue. As soon as possible.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 PM

GLK350
How did you set the time and date? I can't do it.