GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Windshield wiper chatter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2024 GLC300, 2014 BMW M235i
Question Windshield wiper chatter

I had our wiper blades replaced at our MB dealer recently during our annual service. Surprisingly, the
new wipers chattered just as bad as the old ones. And these are genuine MB parts. So, I returned our
GLK350 to the dealer/servicer and they kindly installed another new set of wiper blades.

Well, it finally rained 2 days ago and the new wiper blades started chattering again. I mean, really bad.
So bad, it was not only annoying, but distracting.

Yesterday, I applied, per directions, 2 coats of Rain-X to the windshield. Won't get to try in the rain until
maybe tomorrow. Here's hoping...

If this fails, any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
The springs on the wipers are so strong that you can actually break the windshield if you allow the arm to snap back with the blade unattached, when replacing the blades. It happened. Probably the cause of the chatter is the spring is pushing the blade against the windshield to tightly. I don't know if there is an adjustment for this.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I went to an Autozone and bought some quality blades and haven't had that issue in months... I didn't like the Mercedes blades for snow/ice type weather...
Old 03-18-2018, 03:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2024 GLC300, 2014 BMW M235i
Question

Originally Posted by ecohen2
I went to an Autozone and bought some quality blades and haven't had that issue in months... I didn't like the Mercedes blades for snow/ice type weather...
Well, the Rain-X deal worked for about 6 blocks, then the chattering returned.

So, I picked up a set of Bosch Icon wipers at our local auto parts store. Still no joy. Chatter is bad as ever.
Returned to the auto parts store and picked up a Meguiars Clay Bar kit, including detailer. I clay barred the
windshield, then wiped it down with the included micro cloth as per directions. Wipers were smooth for
about 4 blocks.

Out of pure frustration, I applied a coat of wax to the glass, let it dry for about 15 minutes, then wiped it
down. Major improvement, but I don't how long it will last. There still is some minor chatter, but I can live
with that. I'm just afraid this won't last, either.

Oh, and for what it's worth, our windshield was replaced several years ago by SafeLite. So, the glass is
not OEM. The original wiper blades worked just fine on the new windshield until about a year ago.