Notices
GLK-Class (X204) Discuss the upcoming GLK-Class. Models include GLK 350.

GLK 250 Turbo Failure

Old 05-17-2019, 09:11 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 GLK 250
Wooshing sound you say? Only thing I can think of that sounds like that is pressurized air, which is the job of the turbos (there are two). I would check that lower IC hose very carefully.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 C320
That's what my daughter tells me. I'm heading there today for an inspection. Hopefully I'll be able to see it from the top side.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:04 PM

2003 C320
And the winner is andreigbs. You nailed it my friend. Without squeezing the hose you can't even see the tear at all. I managed to get about 10 good layers of gorilla duct tape on it temporarily. My question now is will it make until next weekend? She drives about 20 miles per day and another 100 to get here next Friday. Should I wait or do a parking lot repair? What are the potential consequences of waiting. Of course I now have to find the part on short notice. Any advice appreciated!

Old 05-17-2019, 10:08 PM

2003 C320
Originally Posted by mandolinwalt View Post
I know this thread is old, but I wanted to confirm what everyone has said--it was the driver's side intercooler hose. My wife has a 2014 GLK 250 (50,000 miles). On a road trip we got a P0101 code (mass air flow sensor). When we got home, the codes were P0101, P0171, P0113, and P0299. There was no noticeable performance issue--just the engine codes. I replaced the air filter and cleaned the mass air flow sensor, but the codes returned within an hour of driving. I then found this thread noting the problem with the intercooler hose splitting. Sure enough, the driver's side hose had two small slits (less than an inch each). I could not find the part at the major auto parts stores, so I have ordered a replacement (I just googled the part number suggested above: 204-528-25-82).
As a temporary fix, I cleaned the exterior of the hose with denatured alcohol to remove dirt and grease. Then I glued the tear shut with CA glue (superglue). Finally I wrapped the hose with heavy duty duct tape. The fix has held for two days with no return of the engine code. I'll replace with the new hose as soon as it arrives.
A few notes for anyone who is attempting the repair:
--There seems to be a bunch of alternate names for this part (intercooler hose, outlet pipe, charge hose, etc.). Just search for the part numbers above: Driver Side (204-528-25-82), Passenger's Side (212-528-08-8)
--The only way to access the hose is underneath the car. You must remove the splash shield in order to see it.
--There are two hoses that could be split, one on the passenger's and one on the driver's side. The driver's side is black and I think is more prone to splitting. The passengers side is red and made of a heavier duty material (thus the higher cost for a replacement).
--The hose is connected with a "Henn-type" connector. I had never seen one before and had no idea how to remove it. I could find nothing online explaining how to remove. If you search "Henn-type" you'll see that there is a special tool available. I just used a flathead screw driver. There are basically two metal wire clips that you pull out slightly, releasing the hose. Luckily I didn't break anything.
--Finally, I had a weird transmission issue that coincided with this. There would be a rough downshift from 3 to 2 to 1 whenever I stopped. I think it was probably unrelated, but I guess maybe the TCU could have adjusted itself due to a change in the way the car was handling without the turbo??? In any event, I reset the TCU and it appears to have fixed the problem.
Thanks for such an informative post. I have the very same issue with a hose on my daughter's car. I have it taped for now but am searching for the part. I'm nervous about the henn connector. I saw the bottom of the connector and assume prying out on the wire releases it however upon reassembly does it just snap back in? Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 05-18-2019, 08:54 PM

2003 C320
Just wanted to bring closure to my addition to this thread. I located a new hose today. Installation was a breeze. No more than 30 minutes. Probably the easiest major repair I've ever made. Thanks to all.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:35 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 GLK 250
Glad you got it sorted. New hose should last her more than plenty, plus now you know what to look for if it ever happens again

Happy dieseling!
The following users liked this post:
srb1194 (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 08:39 PM

2003 C320
Originally Posted by andreigbs
Glad you got it sorted. New hose should last her more than plenty, plus now you know what to look for if it ever happens again

Happy dieseling!
Thanks again!!