GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

New to Benz, Thinking about 2014 CPO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2018 | 12:16 PM

2008 Subaru Forester
New to Benz, Thinking about 2014 CPO

Hi all,
Thinking of trying one of these out. VIN WDCGG8JBXEG328625 with 47k on the clock. Sounds like it was a well cared for car. Didn't see it yet but continuing research. I'm not new to buying used but the concerns some have had with the transmissions and or transfer case might scare me off on considering a GLK. I'm not sold on this particular one as there are more than a few available in my area. Periodic maintenance is something I normally take care of myself but increasingly manufacturers lock you out with dealer only programming of new parts. Had much frustration with BMW on this and their cars seem to become huge money pits when out of warranty. Enlighten me to the possibility of continuing to properly care for one of these and take it to 150-200K without a major failure IE: major driveline components.
Old 08-11-2018 | 06:34 AM

2008 Subaru Forester
59 views and no comments? OK folks, I'll just read, do my own research and make a decision.
Old 08-11-2018 | 12:55 PM

2015 GLK350 & 2020 C300
Well its a pretty standard GLK 4matic. Only thing optioned on it are the 20 inch wheels and the towing package.

Most of the issues were sorted out with the 2014-2015. It is going to run out of the factory 2014 warranty real soon. You can DIY a ton of maintenance and repairs, a few Mercedes technicians visit the site and give advice/opinions about work and then you got people like me without dealer tools doing maintenance and sharing my experience. It is honestly not that bad. The GLK isn't pushing high horsepower or using untested technology, but be reminded the 4Matic and diesel is a weak point on the car. A useful trait is that there are many parts that can be shared with other Mercedes, you can source it from eBay, online, or salvage yards if you chose not to visit the dealership.

When I was shopping for my GLK, I had carefully prioritized the Bi-Xenon headlights, rear-wheel drive, and black exterior. I bought my 2013 GLK350 in March of 2017 with 70,000 miles for $19,000 USD in Socal, I compromised on the condition (paint with scratches and rock chips) in order to get the Headlights. It is very rare to find a GLK with Be-Xenon headlights because most cars are leased out with only bare options.

At the time I could afford a newer 25,000 miles 2015 GLK with pretty much the same options at $32,000 in Arizona; but the $13,000 difference would buy me a new paint job and tons of maintenance left over. So the choice was simple to buy the cheaper car.

Prioritize what you want. Do i need a car that runs on premium fuel? Do i need a car with a towing package? Do I need 4matic? Do I need cargo space? Do I like the seats in the car? Is the price right for me?
Old 08-11-2018 | 07:30 PM

2008 Subaru Forester
JohnnyC,
Input is greatly appreciated. 47847 miles asking $25171. Steel grey with sahara beige/mocha. I like these colors. Other than the sunroof the other options are either all gravy or simply more liability as time goes on. The all wheel drive is nice to have in my area but not if it's going to scatter at less than 200k miles. I'll be researching additional fluid changes if that's possible in the transfer case hoping to increase longevity. I generally do all my own maintenance when I can but the manufacturers seem to make that difficult even if you can read and interpret error codes. Brakes and rotors are all new on this and tires are 7-9 32nds. Brake jobs are the least of my worries though. The xenon lights might be swell but i'll sacrifice that for lower cost replacement bulbs.

OPTION PACKAGES
PREMIUM 1 PACKAGE 115V AC Power Outlet In cargo area, Power Liftgate, Garage Door Opener, Digital Compass Display, iPod/MP3 Media Interface Package, iPod/MP3 Media Interface Cable, SIRIUS XM Satellite Radio, Auto-Dimming Mirrors, driver side and rear view mirrors, Power Tilt/Sliding Panorama Sunroof, MULTIMEDIA PACKAGE Radio: COMAND w/Navigation & 6 Disc CD/DVD, 40 GB COMAND system w/HD navigation, 7 color display, SIRIUS real time traffic service, in-dash PCMCIA memory card reader, in-dash DVD/CD changer, Gracenote media database and 6 GB HD w/music register, Rearview Camera, APPEARANCE PACKAGE: Aluminum Roof Rails, Wheels: 20 5-Spoke, Tires: 235/45 R20 AS, LANE TRACKING PACKAGE: Lane Keeping Assist Package Code, Blind Spot Assist, Lane Keeping Assist, HEATED FRONT SEATS, STEEL GRAY METALLIC, KEYLESS-GO, SIRIUS XM SATELLITE RADIO, IPOD/MP3 MEDIA INTERFACE PACKAGE: iPod/MP3 Media Interface Cable.

There is a 2013, same colors 4Matic available at nearby MB dealer as well with a few more miles but not CPO for $20K. I'd lean towards this lower priced one but the fear of the unknown especially the 4Matic causes concern. One more year of warranty really doesn't give me much comfort other than a full one year shakedown to identify any possible storms brewing. I'm spoiled by the almost bulletproof reliability of the Forester at 11 years old and almost 140K on the clock. The GLK has a bit more going for it even in its most basic form in comparison. I think the CPO might be best value if the 4Matic doesn't become a problem.
Thanks again let me get back to my search button. Including search for some rear wheel drive options.
Old 08-14-2018 | 01:22 PM

2014 GLK250 Bluetec
Mercedes parts are very expensive. I'd get the CPO for $5k for peace of mind. I'd also suggest you look at some posts here about adding 2-3 years with a Mercedes CPO extended warranty. You can buy them from any Mercedes dealer within 30 days of car purchase. Shop around for best price, there are posts with recommended dealers. The nice part is you can get a full refund on it if you request a refund before it starts, which is when you original CPO ends. I'm guessing $2500. Mercedes are more dependable than 20 years ago but still expensive to repair.
Old 08-17-2018 | 08:23 AM

2008 Subaru Forester
Originally Posted by RetiredSD
Mercedes parts are very expensive. I'd get the CPO for $5k for peace of mind. I'd also suggest you look at some posts here about adding 2-3 years with a Mercedes CPO extended warranty. You can buy them from any Mercedes dealer within 30 days of car purchase. Shop around for best price, there are posts with recommended dealers. The nice part is you can get a full refund on it if you request a refund before it starts, which is when you original CPO ends. I'm guessing $2500. Mercedes are more dependable than 20 years ago but still expensive to repair.
Thanks RetiredSD, I'm afraid this is not where I want to be right now. While I like the GLK size, the cargo area and my current usage don't mesh. Also not looking for a vehicle that requires a maintenance agreement just to make ownership palatable. I may revisit this as an option down the road. I would rather own vehicles that I can DIY general repairs and maintenance but not if it means expensive repairs that require dealer only intervention. I suppose down the road I'll just do what most people do in the luxury car world, lease and then leave all the repairs to the dealer. Call me crazy but I'm not there yet.