GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

luggage racks and roof top tents, understanding the amount of weight possible.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 MB GLK 250
Question luggage racks and roof top tents, understanding the amount of weight possible.

I'm a fairly good size guy ( 265 lbs ) who has 2015 GLK 250 and I'm trying to understand the valid weight allow for my GLK with factory side rails and either adding a flat rack ( SlimLine II roof rack ) to add a rooftop tent too ( Repui tents Baja series . Manuel states 165 pounds, but I know to add a flat rack or crossbars would certainly allow more weight to be added.

I'm nervous ordering these items to have them installed and find out that I 'm going to damage my SUV.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:42 PM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
The weight limit is mainly to prevent you from flipping your car over from decrease handling and keeping the rails from bending. The rails can likely take more weight but you will just keep decreasing safety, handling, & fuel efficiency.

Fun fact: the first run of GLKs had full alloy roof rails available, the second run had half alloy half plastic in order to reduce weight.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:32 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
I have carried 8 sheets of 4x8 plywood siding on the rails (about 320 pounds) with no problems. I don't think I would want to get up on the roof since that would be a more concentrated load.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:00 PM

2015 MB GLK 250
Roof top tents

Originally Posted by BillCharlson
I'm a fairly good size guy ( 265 lbs ) who has 2015 GLK 250 and I'm trying to understand the valid weight allow for my GLK with factory side rails and either adding a flat rack ( SlimLine II roof rack ) to add a rooftop tent too ( Repui tents Baja series . Manuel states 165 pounds, but I know to add a flat rack or crossbars would certainly allow more weight to be added.

I'm nervous ordering these items to have them installed and find out that I 'm going to damage my SUV.

Anyone had any experience with roof top tents or GLK camping.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:24 AM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
Old 05-11-2020, 05:46 PM

GLK Blutec 250
I'M IN THE SAME POSITION (MB GLK 250 BLUTEC) AND WOULD LOVE TO INVEST BUT UNSURE ABOUT THE "The maximum roof load is 165 lbs(75 kg)" (MERCEDES BENZ MANUAL, 2015)

IF YOU INSTALLED THE ROOFTOP TENT AND SLEPT IN IT, WILL YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THE ROOF RAILS WERE ABLE TO HANDLE BOTH 1) WEIGHT OF THE ROOFTOP TENT 2) YOUR WEIGHT 265 LBS? @BillCharlson ANY DAMAGES? HOW FREQUENT DO YOU USE IT? SEND PICTURES IF POSSIBLE

THANK YOU!!!
BRYAN
Old 07-23-2020, 10:22 AM

Mercedes R350 Year 2007
Post Roof load capacity depends on Dynamic Wt vs Static Wt.

Hi Bill, Cannondale10bry & All,
I came across this article that explains roof capacity really well. Hope it helps. Link to site: https://offroadtents.com/blogs/news/...-roof-top-tent

Know The Basics:

The first thing to know is the type of rack or crossbars you need to be able to hold a rooftop tent.

You must make sure that the rack or bars you are going to buy have a Dynamic Weight Capacity (DWC) of at least the weight of the tent. Most models weigh in between 120 and 165 lbs, so to be safe you will need a rack that can hold more than 165 lbs.

What is the DWC?

Simple, it is the weight that the rack can physically carry while the vehicle is in motion. Once the vehicle is parked, and the tent is in use, the weight limit of the tent plus that of it’s occupants is effectively dispersed over the entire frame of the vehicle.

This is also known as Static Weight Capacity (SWC), and as said, no matter if you’re 3 people on top of the rack, your weight will be distributed around the frame, without breaking them (as some may think), as long as the vehicle IS NOT IN MOTION.

Another important aspect to bear in mind is the vehicle you have.

Lightweight RTTs range from around 95 lbs (the Featherlite by Front Runner being one of the lightest), to around 125 lbs.