GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Can't get out of park (some of the time)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GLK250, 2022 Tesla MYLR, 1997 Correct Craft Ski Nautique
Can't get out of park (some of the time)

My wife (main driver of our '13 GLK250 Bluetec) said in the past few weeks, several times when she's gone to a store and parked, when she comes back and tries to back out, it won't go out of park. She's had to turn it completely off, and start it again, and then it shifts.

I test drove it a week ago with no problems. However, I just ran an errand this afternoon. When I started and tried to back out of the parking spot, it wouldn't shift out of park (R, N, D). I tried paddles, changing from E to S, shutting off and on again, etc. No luck. I pulled off the battery compartment thinking I'd walk to a nearby auto parts store, get a wrench, and disconnect the battery briefly to see if it would 'reset'. But before I walked to the store, I tried it again, and it worked, so I drove home. In the driveway just now, it worked fine, even if I turned it off and started it again.

My wife did say sometimes she'd get the "HOLD" message in the display (hill hold mode), but sometimes not. I didn't try to engage it (hold the brake down hard), since I don't know why it would have anything to do with not shifting out of park.

Has anyone experienced this before? Not looking forward to taking it to the dealer. I did find this thread from someone who couldn't get it out of park when it was -5 degrees (although it's been in the 60s and 70s (f) when this has happened to us.

after looking at the fuse allocation chart I realized there are five fuses for the automatic transmission so what did was I pulled the first fuse which was fine replaced it tried to start the car nothing all five fuses were fine but after pulling the fifth one, the 20 amp in the trunk, the transmission seem to reset itself

all is fine now, odd.

I'll go ahead and pull and reset each of the fuses (although mine is not related to the cold), but wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and if it is something simple or not.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
My 2014 glk250 did this to me once. I was completely baffled and ready to call roadside assistance, but I shut it off and turned it on again and everything was fine. It did not show "hold" in the display but until I turned it off and on again it refused to move in any gear. I have since read of a couple others that have had the issue you describe.

I traded it a few months later for a 2015 GLK350 because I could not abide with the diesel emissions problems. The glk350 has not exhibited the shifting issue.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GLK250, 2022 Tesla MYLR, 1997 Correct Craft Ski Nautique
Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
My 2014 glk250 did this to me once. I was completely baffled and ready to call roadside assistance, but I shut it off and turned it on again and everything was fine. It did not show "hold" in the display but until I turned it off and on again it refused to move in any gear. I have since read of a couple others that have had the issue you describe.

I traded it a few months later for a 2015 GLK350 because I could not abide with the diesel emissions problems. The glk350 has not exhibited the shifting issue.
Thanks. My wife seemed to be able to get it to shift by turning it off and restarting it. But that didn't work for me when I had the problem. I was going to try pulling out and replacing all fuses that have anything to do with the tranny, but the fuse allocation chart that is supposed to be next to the jack is not there.......

I'm almost ready to cancel the service appointment with the dealer since I have no idea if any record/history is kept anywhere. I never got an error code, so if they can't see a history of shifting or not shifting, then I'm wasting time and $.

Frustrating.......

BTW, the only issue we had with the diesel emissions is that the particle filter got to "beyond efficiency threshhlold" (or something like that. The bad news is that it is not covered in the extended smog equipment warranty and is over $2k. The good news is that I was still under the standard warranty so it was covered. They had to order it from Germany.....

Other than that, I love that little diesel.
BTW,