Brake wear sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 214 Posts
2013 glk 350
Brake wear sensor

Is there a brake wear sensor that scrapes and makes noise so you have time to replace your pads before the rotors are ruined? I had work done on one sticking caliper and now all of a sudden it’s metal on metal.

Do people just replace the pads and not rotors? That’s what I used to do with other vehicles.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
Is the dealer that did the work on the sticking caliper negligent in their repair , therefore owing me a free repair for this one brake ? Or does everyone just replace rotors anyway? I now need front brakes so I’m trying to decide on cheaper independent, or arguing with the dealer for one free wheel.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 136 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by Mmr1
Is the dealer that did the work on the sticking caliper negligent in their repair , therefore owing me a free repair for this one brake ? Or does everyone just replace rotors anyway? I now need front brakes so I’m trying to decide on cheaper independent, or arguing with the dealer for one free wheel.
If it was sticking and all of a sudden is metal on metal then it probably was/is still sticking.

Unless you are sure it is fixed you'll need new rotors and pads and maybe a new caliper.
Mb rotors are designed to wear out at the same time as the pads unless you switch out to other dependable aftermarket rotors.

You're better off convincing them to chuck in free labor and you'll pay for parts
Old 03-10-2019, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
Two years ago the left front caliper was sticking and not releasing, this prematurely wore out that pad, mb fixed it free under warranty, but now all of a sudden it’s rivets on the rotor, I never did get the “ wear indicator noise” I think the mechanic left the wear indicator off of it.

Do mb vehicles always need new rotors on brake jobs? Or is it common just to do pads?
Old 03-10-2019, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 136 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
I’m not sure what you mean by rivets on the rotors.

The rotors can can wear out and be needed to be replaced. There is no warning for that.

Even more ore so the brake wear sensor is only on one side, and you have to be lucky that that side is the one that is worn out. Also the schrreeefhing is only when there is almost no pad material left.

Yes. Pads and rotors wear out at the same time usually on MB’s. It’s because the pad material is so abrasive and the rotors so soft to create a greater brake performance. It really depends on what you want, do you want to purchase mb parts or do you want to change to aftermarket pads and rotors.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:16 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
The wear sensor is electic and will not make noise is worn, so you have a bad caliper. Replacement is not difficult. Replace them in pairs by axel if you want to use aftermarket caliopers. Replacement with after market is cheaper than having the dealer do it. The caliper is held on by two bolts and the you need to remove the break line. Add new pad, install the new caliper, bleade the brake and you are all done with a set that should not give you the problem.