MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   High Beam Options (LEDs?) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/738345-high-beam-options-leds.html)

j0hne 03-11-2019 09:03 PM

High Beam Options (LEDs?)

Hey Guys,
Was hoping for any of you that upgraded your high beams into some sort of LED type? Any sources and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
With millions of decoders and H15 LED bulbs out there, my hopes is to narrow it down from someone who's had a very good experience with a pair.

Thanks,

Johne.

AZN Optics 03-11-2019 09:11 PM

LEDs in housing not designed to capture LED surface mounted light spread will result in reduced throw distance, light scatter, and elongated dark spots. LEDs have single point spread where the edges will not be as bright causing somewhat dead spots. HIDs will be a better solution for your high beams as it's true 360 like your halogen bulbs so your housing will be able to better capture and use that light. Not to say LEDs are bad as they'll probably still be better than halogens, but HIDs will be better.

j0hne 03-11-2019 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by AZN Optics (Post 7703083)
LEDs in housing not designed to capture LED surface mounted light spread will result in reduced throw distance, light scatter, and elongated dark spots. LEDs have single point spread where the edges will not be as bright causing somewhat dead spots. HIDs will be a better solution for your high beams as it's true 360 like your halogen bulbs so your housing will be able to better capture and use that light. Not to say LEDs are bad as they'll probably still be better than halogens, but HIDs will be better.

I actually do agree on that, needing a 360 beam pattern. I usually deal with DDM Tuning when it comes to HIDs but they don't seem to have any H15s. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Johne.

Mmr1 03-12-2019 04:25 AM

I just googled up h16 HID, I use Philips low beam Hid , I’d stay away from led unless you can try them and return them . ( a pain ) For low beam I think hid will outlast led because of heat issues affecting led.

j0hne 03-15-2019 11:54 PM

Hey Guys,
So a little update. I ended up buying a pair of H15 LEDs that I saw someone installed on YouTube. It’s made by Lasfit and I bought it from Amazon. I must say, I was very impressed. The lighting output seems to be as good as the 55W HID kit I have for the low beams! I’ve also been driving around for the past couple of days without any warning lights. I’ll try and post pics/videos soon.

Link to Amazon:

Johne.

C300fan2 03-16-2019 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by j0hne (Post 7706725)
Hey Guys,
So a little update. I ended up buying a pair of H15 LEDs that I saw someone installed on YouTube. It’s made by Lasfit and I bought it from Amazon. I must say, I was very impressed. The lighting output seems to be as good as the 55W HID kit I have for the low beams! I’ve also been driving around for the past couple of days without any warning lights. I’ll try and post pics/videos soon.

Link to Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073Y33F5P..._d04vAbPJKP657

Johne.

I put these or a similar one in and had to take them out! the DRL mode on them was almost as bright as high beams and i was blinding everyone since the light is pointed up,

j0hne 03-16-2019 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by C300fan2 (Post 7707027)
I put these or a similar one in and had to take them out! the DRL mode on them was almost as bright as high beams and i was blinding everyone since the light is pointed up,

Did you also put it on a GLK350? Mine is just okay on DRL mode.

C300fan2 03-16-2019 02:21 PM

glk 250 same headlight

j0hne 03-16-2019 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by C300fan2 (Post 7707088)
glk 250 same headlight

Hmm, gotcha. I guess my high beam housing is not pointed up that high? I’m tested it by looking at it sorta ducking down and it’s not that bright. Although it’s a whole different story when I fully squat down.

mbussado 04-05-2019 01:16 PM

I have used these for high and low beams in both my GLK's. been in there for 4 months. No failures. They are pigs to install in the high beams, lots of cut fingers and pain - but got it done. Light pattern is same as original, the intensity on the low beams is higher, but managed well with the projector pattern. The high beams are much better light temperature (daylight, vs. halogen) and the brightness is higher (roughly 2x lumens). these LEDs have elements on three sides and pretty much produce the same pattern ad a filament bulb. Great price and really good quality...