Notices
GLK-Class (X204) Discuss the upcoming GLK-Class. Models include GLK 350.

High Beam Options (LEDs?)

Old 03-11-2019, 09:03 PM

2013 GLK 350 4MATIC (Polar White)
High Beam Options (LEDs?)

Hey Guys,
Was hoping for any of you that upgraded your high beams into some sort of LED type? Any sources and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
With millions of decoders and H15 LED bulbs out there, my hopes is to narrow it down from someone who's had a very good experience with a pair.

Thanks,

Johne.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:11 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

MB W204, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
LEDs in housing not designed to capture LED surface mounted light spread will result in reduced throw distance, light scatter, and elongated dark spots. LEDs have single point spread where the edges will not be as bright causing somewhat dead spots. HIDs will be a better solution for your high beams as it's true 360 like your halogen bulbs so your housing will be able to better capture and use that light. Not to say LEDs are bad as they'll probably still be better than halogens, but HIDs will be better.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by AZN Optics View Post
LEDs in housing not designed to capture LED surface mounted light spread will result in reduced throw distance, light scatter, and elongated dark spots. LEDs have single point spread where the edges will not be as bright causing somewhat dead spots. HIDs will be a better solution for your high beams as it's true 360 like your halogen bulbs so your housing will be able to better capture and use that light. Not to say LEDs are bad as they'll probably still be better than halogens, but HIDs will be better.
I actually do agree on that, needing a 360 beam pattern. I usually deal with DDM Tuning when it comes to HIDs but they don't seem to have any H15s. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Johne.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:25 AM

2013 glk 350
I just googled up h16 HID, I use Philips low beam Hid , Iíd stay away from led unless you can try them and return them . ( a pain ) For low beam I think hid will outlast led because of heat issues affecting led.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:54 PM

Hey Guys,
So a little update. I ended up buying a pair of H15 LEDs that I saw someone installed on YouTube. Itís made by Lasfit and I bought it from Amazon. I must say, I was very impressed. The lighting output seems to be as good as the 55W HID kit I have for the low beams! Iíve also been driving around for the past couple of days without any warning lights. Iíll try and post pics/videos soon.

Link to Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Johne.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:02 PM

14 GLK 250
Originally Posted by j0hne View Post
Hey Guys,
So a little update. I ended up buying a pair of H15 LEDs that I saw someone installed on YouTube. Itís made by Lasfit and I bought it from Amazon. I must say, I was very impressed. The lighting output seems to be as good as the 55W HID kit I have for the low beams! Iíve also been driving around for the past couple of days without any warning lights. Iíll try and post pics/videos soon.

Link to Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073Y33F5P..._d04vAbPJKP657

Johne.
I put these or a similar one in and had to take them out! the DRL mode on them was almost as bright as high beams and i was blinding everyone since the light is pointed up,
Old 03-16-2019, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by C300fan2 View Post
I put these or a similar one in and had to take them out! the DRL mode on them was almost as bright as high beams and i was blinding everyone since the light is pointed up,
Did you also put it on a GLK350? Mine is just okay on DRL mode.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:21 PM

14 GLK 250
glk 250 same headlight
Old 03-16-2019, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by C300fan2 View Post
glk 250 same headlight
Hmm, gotcha. I guess my high beam housing is not pointed up that high? Iím tested it by looking at it sorta ducking down and itís not that bright. Although itís a whole different story when I fully squat down.