120,000 mile additional maintenance items

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK350
120,000 mile additional maintenance items

Happy Monday!

I am about 2 months away from 120,000 miles (193,000ish Kms) on my GLK350.

The maintenance manual has a hefty list of maintenance items, including spark plugs, and a transmission service. Brake fluid is being changed, as well.

I flushed the power steering at 110,000, and did an oil change on the rear differential oil.

All non-wear items are original, and I’ve been trying to find a list of common issues, or failure points that can be proactively replaced. I’d rather be able to schedule work, and plan a day off around it, rather than waiting to replace stuff after it’s broken.

The only things that come to mind for me are the basic things. Starter, alternator, battery. Battery under the hood was replaced in October with an MB battery.

Shocks/struts front and rear are on the list, no noise or indications of failure - but my car rides harder than a friends 2012 with 50,000 fewer miles.

Ive seen FCPEuros write up about the M272 that’s in my car, and they indicated the intake manifold, and the air injection pump are common areas where issues arise.

Any other ideas, or things people seem to run into regularly?

Thank you!
Old 04-23-2019, 02:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 GLK350
You have the regular maintenance items already listed, I just finished doing this on ours. I also had to replace a leaking centrifuge/separator thingie at around 110K, so you might want to have a look there. I also replaced the three cam plugs while I was there, that was a five minute job.

The dealer replaced the entire intake manifold under extended warranty at around 100K, that was a $4000 job on Mercedes' dime. They replaced the entire manifold, even though there are much cheaper solutions out there if you are willing to spend some time on it.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK350
Originally Posted by lyonkster
You have the regular maintenance items already listed, I just finished doing this on ours. I also had to replace a leaking centrifuge/separator thingie at around 110K, so you might want to have a look there. I also replaced the three cam plugs while I was there, that was a five minute job.

The dealer replaced the entire intake manifold under extended warranty at around 100K, that was a $4000 job on Mercedes' dime. They replaced the entire manifold, even though there are much cheaper solutions out there if you are willing to spend some time on it.
the centerfuge/separator is the same as the “PCV” valve, yes? FCP has a breather repair kit that includes the hoses, replacement valves, and some plugs for a mere $162.

I’ll add that, and the cam plugs to my list. I think I saw a cam plug kit on FCP, as well.

I didn’t see any DIYs that walked through re-habbing the intake manifold, and if I can get one for less than 700/800$, id rather just swap out the entire unit. I get nervous when it comes to taking things apart and replacing inside bits.