GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

The dreaded Adblue starts count down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350 BT, GLK 250 BT, C230 4Matic
The dreaded Adblue starts count down

GLK/250 Bleutec 2013, 2.2L (651.912) 100K on the car.
So my car had CEL on for a couple of months, when scanning it, the codes returned were for DPF(P2002), fuel pump (P062A), Nox(P22A0-16 /P229F-92/P229f-FF)
Upon physical inspection of the DPF, my mechanic determined that it had physical damage and had to be replaced! I did and after leaving the mechanic by about a couple of hours (100Km later) the CEL came back on again!
I returned to my mechanic and after scanning the car again, the codes left were for the Nox (P22A0-16) and the "Soot" sensor (shorted circuit, sorry didn't capture the code!)
He replaced the Nox sensor (under the passenger) and reset it again, 15KM later CEL back on again! at this stage I didn't care and kept on driving my car.
Next day the car ran out of Adblue and I was left with 10 starts, I filled the tank completely and drove the car thinking that it will reset itself, it didn't! (I also tried the method with the ignition/Gas peddal and glow plug flashing, never managed to get it to work!)
I took it to my mechanic who was able to reset the Adblue starts count message and drove off the car. The next day my windshield fluid ran out and displayed the message and exact same time the Adblue starts count message came back up!!!
Next day I took the car to my mechanic, he scanned it and the "soot" sensor code is gone the Nox one still there. My mechanic followed the harness from the Nox and checked the whole harness (took the passenger seat out and carpet) harness shows no issues! he ran functional tests on all the Adblue components (injector, pump, controller) all showing no issue and fully functional.
The Adblue starts count down would no longer reset no matter what my mechanic does and I'm left with six starts (BTW car counts down after a start and driving over 30KM/hour) it doesn't count down if I don't drive it and start and turn it off no matter how many times.

Now, I'm left with a car that I can't drive because I understand it's extremely hard to reset if I have no starts left and don't know what to do!

Please Help!

BTW: the Wonderful MB Canada doesn't honor the warranty still on the car because I'm not the original owner!!!! REALLY! I owned pre-owned BMWs and AUDIs before and always enjoyed the warranty as a second owner but not MB!!! oh, well you live and learn!
Old 05-02-2019, 06:05 PM

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts
GLK250 ML350

Did u try the above method? i know u mentioned u tried the pedal and ignition method, just want to make sure u tried the above method.

Depends on where u live in Canada, dpf is the only solution to solve the emission bs problems. I drove from Calgary to Edmonton today with 3 adults and 2 kids, plus full of luggages, my 250 gave me 5.9L / 100km. I still love my 250. I don't know if i can find another suv to replace the diesel glk with same performance and great mileage.

If u need any emission parts, send me a pm.
The following users liked this post:
ash333 (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan
https://youtu.be/yVN8fbLGFjg

Did u try the above method? i know u mentioned u tried the pedal and ignition method, just want to make sure u tried the above method.

Depends on where u live in Canada, dpf is the only solution to solve the emission bs problems. I drove from Calgary to Edmonton today with 3 adults and 2 kids, plus full of luggages, my 250 gave me 5.9L / 100km. I still love my 250. I don't know if i can find another suv to replace the diesel glk with same performance and great mileage.

If u need any emission parts, send me a pm.
Thank you @GLK Super Fan
Yes, I saw that video on You Tube, Usually Google is my best friend You tube is my second best friend I didn't try it however because it's too good to be true! my experience with my GLK, which I REALLY enjoy driving BTW, is that nothing is that easy! so the method I tried had me switch the ignition on, press and hold down the gas pedal till the glow plug light comes on and starts flashing. This method doesn't work.

My mechanic was able to reset the Adblue count using "Xentry" so I can no longer test the method, I hope I never will need to in the future (fingers and everything else crossed saying that)

I'll update the post once everything else concerning emissions/exhaust systems are confirmed to be addressed.

Thank you!
Old 02-08-2021, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk250
what about now?

Originally Posted by ash333
Thank you @GLK Super Fan
Yes, I saw that video on You Tube, Usually Google is my best friend You tube is my second best friend I didn't try it however because it's too good to be true! my experience with my GLK, which I REALLY enjoy driving BTW, is that nothing is that easy! so the method I tried had me switch the ignition on, press and hold down the gas pedal till the glow plug light comes on and starts flashing. This method doesn't work.

My mechanic was able to reset the Adblue count using "Xentry" so I can no longer test the method, I hope I never will need to in the future (fingers and everything else crossed saying that)

I'll update the post once everything else concerning emissions/exhaust systems are confirmed to be addressed.

Thank you!
hi,what about your glk250 now?I am having the same problem now. my mechanic can not reset it and I take back to the dealer shop. no result yet. I am worrying.
Thanks.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Keith Gao
hi,what about your glk250 now?I am having the same problem now. my mechanic can not reset it and I take back to the dealer shop. no result yet. I am worrying.
Thanks.
Yes, the problem was solved at the dealer! they had to replace one nox sensor, that I had to pay for. The dealer also replaced a soot sensor under warranty + reset the dreaded start countdown = Cost me $1500 CAN.
The thing is; the countdown would not reset unless ALL emission controls are without fault! my car has been running fine now for the past almost two years - knock on wood!

Good luck !
The following users liked this post:
Keith Gao (02-08-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 R320 cdi
Remain starts

Originally Posted by ash333
Yes, the problem was solved at the dealer! they had to replace one nox sensor, that I had to pay for. The dealer also replaced a soot sensor under warranty + reset the dreaded start countdown = Cost me $1500 CAN.
The thing is; the countdown would not reset unless ALL emission controls are without fault! my car has been running fine now for the past almost two years - knock on wood!

Good luck !
So, i have the same problem with my car 2009 R320 CDi, i had the dealer look at 2 times and still having the same problem, not including that they can't reset the remain starts.
I have replace the Reductant Heater, Differential Pressure Sensor, Adblue Pressure Hose, Temp Sensor by Turbo and EGR Temp Sensor, not sure what else to do.
There is a company in Quebec, that would re-program the ECU, that i don't see anymore error. Just sure that is the correct way to go.
I'm going to a new dealer in two weeks to see if they can fix it. Would love to know where to get this scanner you guys talk about. Xentra?

Thanks
Paul D