GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

How Dependable are the Older High Mileage GLK 350's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLK 350 4matic
How Dependable are the Older High Mileage GLK 350's

I'd like to buy a MB AWD SUV older with high mileage. It's what I can afford right now. I'm interested in the GLK 350 2010-2012 mostly, but I'm open to an ML 350 or at least a smaller six cylinder to save on gas (probably in the same year range). But I'm concerned about the frequency of repairs and costs of repairs if I buy a high mileage (100K+) older model. I know maintenance costs will be higher, which I'm fine with. And I know repair costs will be higher, but I'm most concerned about repair frequency. I only keep cars for 1 or 2 years while I save more and then sell them and upgrade. I've spoken to some people who have said that repairs are pricey but they only happen every few years. I want to get other peoples experience. How frequent were the repairs? If I only had one repair over the 2 year ownership period, I would be okay with that. I know owning a German made auto is going to cost more, I'm just wondering how much more in terms of repairs. I'm prepared to pay more in premium gas, maintenance, and insurance.

1. What years are best for durability?
  2. What years have the most reliable engines/ transmissions?
  3. What years are worst for durability?
  4. What are the most common repairs for these cars and what did you pay for them?
  5. How frequent are repairs?
  6. What are the most important things to look for when doing pre-purchase inspections that could be very costly over the next 2 years?
I'll buy from a private party as I always do, with a thorough mechanic inspection, but I want to be fully aware of what issues I need to concern myself with and what I'd be going into (from a financial and resale aspect) if I buy one of these.

I'm also considering the 2013 BMW X3 i28 and Audi Q5 2.0 quattro. I've seen that year get top awards for dependability for older high mileage luxury SUV's, but the MB appeals to me much more. Please, any advice in making my purchase decision is so helpful.

Last edited by clintbmu; 06-20-2019 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Clarify question
Old 06-18-2019, 07:52 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
If you are on a limited budget and concerned about maintenance costs, the last thing you would want to buy is a high mileage Mercedes. Expensive car equals expensive parts and expensive labor costs. They are a wonderful vehicle but in comparison to taking care of a Honda, the bills will make your eyes water!
The following 2 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
B737 (06-18-2019), Yugo26 (02-22-2023)
Old 06-18-2019, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
Many people in your situation: want to drive something luxury but can't swing the coin.

Your options are to lease something for a few years and look trendy to your friends, or be financially minded and work to improve your situation so that you can afford a luxury vehicle later on.

The worst thing you can do is spend money you don't have to get an older luxury brand vehicle that maybe wasn't maintained, then start seeing the repair bills add up. Most bad reviews on luxury cars come from these people.

That said, you can find some good deals on 2010-2012 GLKs that have been maintained well. You just have to know what you're looking for (and at) and be able to negotiate. Ideally you'd want a pre-purchase inspection done at your local MB dealer just to be aware of upcoming repairs. Once you find the one you want at the price you're willing to pay, the best way to save money is doing your own maintenance and repairs. If you're short on coin, this is the only way you can make owning a luxury brand vehicle a reality, and even then you'll be dealing with the unexpected so it's better to set money aside for that rainy day.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 CLA 45, 2013 GLK 350
Reliability and Mercedes dont mix. Once you add mileage to the equation, you are better off looking elsewhere.

The generation of GLKs you are looking at is prone to failures. Heck even my 2013 is giving me headaches. My wife already got rid if her 2016 CLA 45 and we switched over to Japanese, I barely use my GLK anymore because it's too unreliable and I spent over 10k in the last 3 years of ownership to fix things that break. I'm done with Mercedes lol. To be honest, most people already have their minds set on things that they want and they tend to read only the good things and filter out the bad. That's what happened to me when I hopped in the Mercedes bandwagon. Anyways it's a costly lesson. Maybe it will be a costly lesson for you too, but we live and learn.
The following users liked this post:
Xlrncd (09-19-2023)
Old 06-18-2019, 01:47 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
Originally Posted by Van Ha Nguyen
The generation of GLKs you are looking at is prone to failures... I barely use my GLK anymore because it's too unreliable and I spent over 10k in the last 3 years of ownership to fix things that break.
errr, lets not get carried away here. The pre-direct injection GLKs (2012 OP mentioned) are simple by Mercedes standards. Any car is "prone to failure", any machine. Chances are the GLK isnt any worse or any better. Servicing, maintaining, and most routine repairs on the GLK are not difficult to do yourself, nor are they expensive. If you spent $10k in 3 years I am suspecting you are drinking dealer koolaid, or supporting your local indy.

having said all that, I dont plan on owning my GLK much beyond 100,000 miles, but i have no doubt it will serve someone well beyond those miles. I just dont want to take the gamble on the transmission in particular. because after all, it is a Mercedes...

It will break my heart to part with the GLK because it is truly the last of its breed. It is the last compact SUV that still looks like a miniature truck, and most importantly has a naturally aspirated V6.
The following 2 users liked this post by B737:
300SLRAddict (11-14-2023), clintbmu (06-20-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by B737
errr, lets not get carried away here. The pre-direct injection GLKs (2012 OP mentioned) are simple by Mercedes standards. Any car is "prone to failure", any machine. Chances are the GLK isnt any worse or any better. Servicing, maintaining, and most routine repairs on the GLK are not difficult to do yourself, nor are they expensive. If you spent $10k in 3 years I am suspecting you are drinking dealer koolaid, or supporting your local indy.

having said all that, I dont plan on owning my GLK much beyond 100,000 miles, but i have no doubt it will serve someone well beyond those miles. I just dont want to take the gamble on the transmission in particular. because after all, it is a Mercedes...

It will break my heart to part with the GLK because it is truly the last of its breed. It is the last compact SUV that still looks like a miniature truck, and most importantly has a naturally aspirated V6.
Nope I dont do my service at the dealer and my indy mechanic is honest. I buy the parts and they do the labour. The pre facelift GLK are prone to transmission failure from the transfer case. Its noted in every forum. I've had blind spot radar failures, lane departure camera failure, driveshaft failure, rotors warping, leaking axle seals, front suspension, outer tie rod, rear suspension, transmission output shaft seal leak, transmission fluid pan leak and a few more things that I've missed.
clintbmu (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLK 350 4matic
Can you list the other items that have needed repairs? Particularly, any repairs that are frequently listed in the forums you've read? This will really help with inspections.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:11 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
Originally Posted by clintbmu
Can you list the other items that have needed repairs? Particularly, any repairs that are frequently listed in the forums you've read? This will really help with inspections.
There are entire threads, as well as a sticky, already here.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
I have a 2015 GLK350 4Matic. Nothing really about it worries me. Maybe the pano roof? It is a pretty straight forward car. Service is every year or 10,000 miles whatever comes first. Powertrain is straight forward and tried and true as it has been used in many MB's before. Also, there just is not much on these cars that can go wrong. I mean there is no Airmatic or Vario Roof or ABC. The engine is N/A. I would choose the MB over the BMW or Audi that is for sure. Also, as far as buying one the best thing to do would be to get a PPI done.
300SLRAddict (11-14-2023)
Old 06-22-2019, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Reliability and Mercedes dont mix. Once you add mileage to the equation, you are better off looking elsewhere.

The generation of GLKs you are looking at is prone to failures. Heck even my 2013 is giving me headaches. My wife already got rid if her 2016 CLA 45 and we switched over to Japanese, I barely use my GLK anymore because it's too unreliable and I spent over 10k in the last 3 years of ownership to fix things that break. I'm done with Mercedes lol. To be honest, most people already have their minds set on things that they want and they tend to read only the good things and filter out the bad. That's what happened to me when I hopped in the Mercedes bandwagon. Anyways it's a costly lesson. Maybe it will be a costly lesson for you too, but we live and learn.

Beg to differ. I have owned may high milage MB's that have never broke down. (05 C Class went 300k miles, 97 E320 went 198K miles and my 1985 300SD still is going today around town) The CLA is hardly a MB. Sorry for you bad experience.
300SLRAddict (11-14-2023)
Old 06-22-2019, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Beg to differ. I have owned may high milage MB's that have never broke down. (05 C Class went 300k miles, 97 E320 went 198K miles and my 1985 300SD still is going today around town) The CLA is hardly a MB. Sorry for you bad experience.
Sorry but a Mercedes is a Mercedes. I dont care if it's an A Class B class or CLA. Mercedes do not make reliable vehicles. They are great to lease but not to own. Many of the older Mercedes did not have complicated tech as they do now hence why there seems to be less problems. To say a CLA is not a Mercedes is saying the C class and GLK which is built on the C class not a Mercedes. You would have E class, ML and G class owners looking down on you for owning a GLK. See, it doesnt make sense. CLA 45 AMG was 71k Canadian that we paid for and much more than a new GLK and C300,C400,C450. So if price determines whether you believe it's a "real" Mercedes then you might want to look yourself in the mirror. I buy cars based on how I like them. Not branding. Anything Mercedes makes is a Mercedes. Its that simple. The A class is selling very well in Canada here. It's very popular and more affordable. Is that not a Mercedes? Never have I heard someone say a Corolla is not a real Toyota.

Last edited by Van Ha Nguyen; 06-22-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:55 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Sorry but a Mercedes is a Mercedes. I dont care if it's an A Class B class or CLA. Mercedes do not make reliable vehicles.
Wonder if there is any variation in quality to Mercedes which are made in Mexico (CLA), vs those made in Germany (GLK) ? Even with globalization, I would only consider a 'real' Mercedes to be built in Germany.. however, eventually they'll all be made in Mexico for the USA market for $$ savings..
Old 06-23-2019, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by bugelrex
Wonder if there is any variation in quality to Mercedes which are made in Mexico (CLA), vs those made in Germany (GLK) ? Even with globalization, I would only consider a 'real' Mercedes to be built in Germany.. however, eventually they'll all be made in Mexico for the USA market for $$ savings..
I doubt there would be a difference in quality. Everything is pretty much built by robots these days. The GLS is manufactured in the USA. It's a 100k car. Would that not be a true Mercedes? The CLA and cla45 is made in Hungary. The engine handmade in Germany at the affalterbach amg plant

Last edited by Van Ha Nguyen; 06-23-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300, W212 E350 (former)
@Van Ha Nguyen I believe you seem to have gotten the bitter end of the stick. Every company makes its share of excellent quality cars and lemons, it's just that they vary far and few between. You may have had two Mercedes of that era that have turned out to be complete headaches, but there are a good chunk of people out there who have done a quarter million miles and more on the GLKs and other relatively modern Mercedes cars. Honestly, I intend to not say it out of ignorance (especially to you), but I don't see the CLA as an actual MB car aside from the fact that it's got the badge. Certain trims of the CLA have an engine made by Renault, and everything about the CLA has "cost-cutting" written all over it. I know, because I've experienced a couple them through rideshare services elsewhere. Our former W212 E350 has made it to 300k before we sold it and it's probably still serving someone happily. Besides, speak of W212s and E classes in general, there's a reason why these cars are taxis even in Europe. Someone's W212 E220 CDI literally rolled a million km's (~620k miles) on the odometer. I saw a W463 chassis 2002 G wagon make it to a million miles on the original V8 and transmission.

As per experiences, the online generally has a lot of bad experiences that are highlighted, because a lot of complaints formulate online. However, for every negative online experience, there are infinitely more people out there that are enjoying their cars and continue to do so, even at a high mileage.

Last edited by 300SLRAddict; 11-15-2023 at 07:36 AM.
Silver Shadow (11-14-2023)