GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2010 GLK350. Shaking engine/car after oil pan replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350
Exclamation 2010 GLK350. Shaking engine/car after oil pan replacement

Pep-Boys recently cracked the area where the oil pan plug/screw goes in during an oil change (My gf took it there and I know I should have never let her). It began leaking oil and they replaced with a new part for free. I picked it up yesterday and now the engine and the car are vibrating (most noteably when the car is idle or not in drive/reverse). It is now uncomftorable and annoying while sitting in the front seats. You very much now feel the vibrating. Of course they claim no responsibility for the shaking/vibrating.

Can work replacing the oil pan (believe it was the upper oil pan) cause the shaking/vibrating? Can this work lead to damaging the motor mounts? From what I've gathered, it can be a big job to replace. They even said they had to remove or move the front end while replcing because they didn't have all of the toold the dealership has.

I am going to have it inspected by the Mercedes dealership Saturday morning. The ultimate goal besides getting this fixed is to have Pep Boys reimburse or cover the costs of fixing this. I need to show causation (show that it was the work of Pep Boys that caused the new damage or issue which needed to be corrected).Any insight on this job or possible damage would be a great help in putting together a case if I need to go to small claims court.

Thanks for any response.
Picture of the oil pan crack and part they replaced below.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 212 Posts
2013 glk 350
Yes you should have gone, the oil could have all leaked out ruining the motor, this could cost you a lot for Mb to fix. I hope your small claims court has a high limit.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:05 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
14 GLK 250
Did they notice the crack right away? Or did your wife take it home and you noticed a leak later. If that's the case and the engine ran with no/low oil, say goodbye to the engine. Good luck!
I make sure my wife has absolutely nothing to do with our vehicle other than drive it.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 227 Posts
GLK 250
Let's stay positive for a second.

OP: Yes, you should NEVER let monkeys with wrenches work on your MB. This includes places like iffy lube, shlep boyz, and other similar outfits not equipped or trained to work on luxury German cars.

The oil pan leak could not have leaked out all of the oil in the sump, causing extensive engine damage, WITHOUT the oil pressure warning lights telling you about it. If it did and you/your other half ran the car anyway, then all bets are off.

Document everything with pictures, see what the MB dealer says about the diagnosis and then go from there. Post back with updates.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
Yes, they could have damaged the motor mounts. There is no telling what else they could have damaged while they were in there.

I'm sorry this happened to you but I really have to question the wisdom of allowing them to do more work after they failed miserably at a simple oil change.

Yes, have the dealer look at it. Yes, get a lawyer because at this point it will most likely take legal action to recover your loss. The lawyer can let you know if you have a case since you have already allowed the original shop to "fix" the original problem.

If something like this ever happen again do not let the shop that broke your car go even deeper into it to fix it. They have already proven incompetence. Have it towed to a competent shop for repair. Get adequate proof of the original shop's mistakes because they may be needed in court.