Diagnostics FAIL - Multiple "Symptoms" Help Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Mercedes GLK
Question Diagnostics FAIL - Multiple "Symptoms" Help Needed

Hi -

I am not an experienced car guru, but it seems as if you guys are so fingers crossed my post makes sense. I have a sporadic issue with starting my 2014 GLK. I am having trouble getting the auto shop to diagnose, because they cannot duplicate the issue, since it starts up fine when they try it. The "symptoms" are as followed, and I am not sure if they are all related or not. I was hoping someone here could give me an idea of what to ask the mechanics to check. The Mercedes dealership is almost an hour away, so I am hoping I can avoid taking it there just for diagnostics.

1. First, ECO mode stopped working. I noticed one day that my engine never cuts off at red lights or in drive-throughs anymore; however, the ECO light is still on.
2. About a month ago, every so often the car would start fine, but not switch into Drive or Reverse. After a few tries, it would finally switch. Sometimes I would need to turn the car off and back on to get it to do so.
3. Now, the car sometimes will not turn over. It cranks for half a second and then abruptly stops. The lights, wipers, radio, etc. all work fine during this. Usually after a few minutes and a few tries I can get it to start. Other times, the car turns over perfectly fine. The auto shop cranked it 20 times, and it started strong every time. For example: car started great all day yesterday and this morning, but took about 20 minutes to start at lunch today.
4. Other random, but single, occurrences have been:
Once last week my car reverse camera stayed on, even when I went into Drive.
Once in the last month my radio randomly powered off about one minute after I started driving.

Anyone have any thoughts??? I would be forever grateful for any ideas! Thank you!

Last edited by Michelle Cole; 10-28-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:19 PM

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
GLC300 (mine) GLK250 (wife's)
Have your battery checked, a failing battery can cause these problems.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:57 PM

2014 Mercedes GLK
Originally Posted by karmikan
Have your battery checked, a failing battery can cause these problems.
Thanks @karmikan ! They said they thought my battery was good since it started so “strongly” all of the other times, but I will have them revisit!
Old 10-29-2019, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 212 Posts
2013 glk 350
You have two batteries , one in the rear for auto start. If your in a cold climate you need starting power when it gets colder , your battery is old, you just need a quality AGM battery you can get anywhere . By the time you get to MB your battery is charged up. You could put a simple volt meter on it before you start to see it’s resting voltage , most any auto parts store will test it for free. Yes most of what you describe could be a weak battery.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:14 PM

2014 Mercedes GLK
Originally Posted by Mmr1
You have two batteries , one in the rear for auto start. If your in a cold climate you need starting power when it gets colder , your battery is old, you just need a quality AGM battery you can get anywhere . By the time you get to MB your battery is charged up. You could put a simple volt meter on it before you start to see it’s resting voltage , most any auto parts store will test it for free. Yes most of what you describe could be a weak battery.
Thanks @Mmr1 Should I be checking the front battery, back battery, or both?
Old 10-29-2019, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 212 Posts
2013 glk 350
Did you buy it new? So you know it hasn’t gotten into water? How many miles? If it’s been cared for , I would get a new AGM battery . I think the rear battery will have a dash warming when it goes bad, if you use stop start a lot then it’s worn out. I never use stop start because you loose oil pressure.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:59 AM

GLK 250
DId you ever get it working properly?