metal grinding sound when cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ml320
Unhappy metal grinding sound when cold

Hello everyone,
Its seems that the last few weeks when its below 50 degrees F outside my front suspension creeks and when I turn the wheel it makes a metal on metal grinding noise. I have replaced the front struts with Bilsteins and the stabilizer links last fall and thought i might have did something wrong but i have double checked and made sure everything is torqued down properly. When its above 55 degrees F everything is quiet as can be. Could it be my cv axles going or possibly tie-rod ends??
Old 03-12-2020, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 228 Posts
GLK 250
When you did struts, did you also replace the strut mounts?
Old 03-15-2020, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ml320
Sorry i didn't respond sooner. I gave up after a few days checking on the forum. No i didn't seeing as they were only 6yrs old and not dry rotted or anything. looking at i closer with someone in the car it seems it might be the sway bar links I have already replaced
Old 03-17-2020, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 228 Posts
GLK 250
So the strut mounts are a sort of horizontal bearing. The top end is stationary under the body while the bottom half twists with the strut tower when you turn the wheel left/right. I understand not replacing them if they didn't look faulty, as they're around $150 each, but if you had the noise BEFORE the struts and sway bar links were replaced and you STILL HAVE the same noise... I would think about the strut mounts now.

At this point, you should try to rule out every other suspension component you can, because if it turns out it's a strut mount, you have to disassemble the whole strut tower to replace it. And you should do both.

Good luck.